motor mag xr8 vs ss - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2003, 19:25   #1 (permalink)
EXPERIENCED XR8 FANATIC

Thumbs up motor mag xr8 vs ss

hi guys just recieved the latest copy. well its good news again for the xr8. it clearly s the better car its just not the fastest. motor suggest that the xr8 is more sophisticated, rides eerily well,even when you're belting the pick handle out of it. it sounds fantastic and its smooth.although they do say that some will be disappointed by it, as they were waiting for something with more raw meat. who cares this car must be really awsome. with quotes from the magazine like "push the xr8 quickly and it will flick into oversteer in third and even fourth gear, if you dont have a wedding ring an xr8 might help fix that, quiet dignity and class next to bovver boy ss. might have to update the au it seems. :-)
although in the same issue the gt vs the clubsport the gt isnt so lucky. although they praise the gt for being more refined, more useful,a cinch to drive around town with all that torque, as well as having a supple ride good for high speed cruising and urban environments. they give the thumbs up to the clubbie for being a better performance car when taken to its limits. its quicker and more entertaining through the twisty bits and in some ways been handed a free kick by ford, who have engineered so much into the ba it has ended up far too heavy for even the power of the boss to overcome. but that said they claim the clubsport isnt perfect either. motor would love a ford tremec 5 speed added and the ride softened on the clubsport. that said where the gt is red hot the clubsport is smoking.
i suppose it comes down to the individual as to what you would buy. you get a gt thats a refined car ,with all the trimmings in one hand that does everything you could ask from it, and in the other hand you get a clubsport that goes like a power of piss, but does everything just not quite as refined or engineered as the gt.
so it ultimately comes down to outright speed or a well sorted vehicle. i know what i prefer.
but at the end of the day australians have never been so lucky to be treated to such wonderful performance cars.

5 speed xr8 ,silouette in colour,17in tickford 5 spokes , momo steering wheel and momo gear knob. twin 2 1/2 inch exhaust with race magnum mufflers. custom stereo system.
DXR88U is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2003, 19:43   #2 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Well I'm more than happy with that review. It would have been nice to see a GT woop some ass $30 thou less than it's rival but we all know the GT isn't the topdog HSV compeditor.
.......Sits and waits for GTHO.

I think Geoff knows that while a 100k all conquring flag ship would be great I'm afraid they don't sell all to well. Good enough for me to see the Gt being 95% of the HSV's 100% (and for 30k less)
Old 04-07-2003, 19:47   #3 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

carazy - The GT and clubsport are around the same price - the $30k difference is with the HSV GTS. So your points are invalid. The GT got whipped - only loyal Ford fans will buy a GT over the clubbie now.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 20:15   #4 (permalink)
Still Here! Barely...

Alot of people dont always by whats "the best". Hell look at the avalon. It came up thumbs up in a comparo with the falcon and the commodore a while back and not many people bought them. And the Ralliart magna topped the commodore S and the falc XR6, and i still havent EVER seen on eon the road.
If ford can market it right, and if we win rounds this year with the supercars. It wont matter that it didnt win some comparo.

Proud DUAG member!

Under a smidge bit of construction - *http://au.geocities.com/crystalized13/*
fordchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 20:32   #5 (permalink)

Hmmmm, now something dosnt seem right here
When the GT was compared to the GTS last issue, they both got 4.5 stars. So how can the GT now lose to the clubsport, which in the previous issue they said was 50/50 with the XR8?
Think these journos are losing the plot.
Keeps us buying the mags I guess
www.falcongtclub.org
XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 21:13   #6 (permalink)

the fact that the GT may be the better 'overall car' won't mean ppl will buy it, ppl are still feeling the effect of the holden/HSV marketing ploys, they're supporters will just keep buying the club sport until the ford can beat it in the straight line, i know i'd prefer the GT over the clubsport, no doubt about it, its just a shame one eyed supporters are hard to change when it comes to going from holden to ford.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 21:33   #7 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
Originally posted by EFFalcon
one eyed supporters are hard to change when it comes to going from holden to ford.
Very true, but it goes both ways. After the EB & EL GTs copped a thrashing by their Holden rivals I thought Ford was going to bring out something a bit better this time around. The new GT is a great car, but unless it can outshine it's only competitor it won't be remembered too fondly. I remember reading somewhere that Ford wouldn't bring back another "soft" GT to avoid de-valuing the GT badge. Obviously I'm biased as I love the old GTs, but to me any new Falcon wearing a GT badge should be able to blow a Clubsport into the weeds.
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 21:39   #8 (permalink)
FPV Tasmania Member

Strange, 18 months ago the TE50 was better than the VX Clubsport, now there is very little difference from the VX to the VY, but the BA is leaps and bounds in front of the AU, so how does the GT not Thrash the Clubbie, I can understand the GTS beating it, but not the Clubbie. Anyway, if you buy a Clubbie, dont forget to check the oil at every petrol fill.
Old 04-07-2003, 21:43   #9 (permalink)

Re: motor mag xr8 vs ss

Quote:
Originally posted by DXR88U

i suppose it comes down to the individual as to what you would buy. you get a gt thats a refined car ,with all the trimmings in one hand that does everything you could ask from it, and in the other hand you get a clubsport that goes like a power of piss, but does everything just not quite as refined or engineered as the gt.
yep much easier to buy the refined well sorted vehicle and make it go like a power of piss(supercharger?) than buy the fast car and try to make it refined. however would be nice if Ford could have just put it in one package ''a good handling well sorted car that is faster than a clubsport'' then their would be no issues.
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 00:24   #10 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

What were the comparisons and the times? CLubsport vs GT and XR8 vs SS? What were the times of both comparisons. Yes I'll buy the mag when it's on the shelf tommorow.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub