Motorbike Enthusast's required - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 07:49   #1 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Motorbike Enthusast's required

I was never really interested in getting my bike licence. I guess it was because none of my mates ride bikes and my Grandad always on my back constantly reminding me of the result of coming off his old triumph in the 50's.

Anyway I dont really know much about the licencing system. I know theres a 2 day course you have to do and you get your L's then. I'll go tommorow to Vic roads as I have the day off (Geelong Cup).

I beleive on your L's theres a displacement limit of 250cc. I'm far from an experienced Bike rider so I'm not looking at killing myself straight away. What I want to know is what is a good quick 250cc bike for around 4-5grand? Someone was telling me that you could get a 96-98 Honda CBR 250 for about that. Is that a good price? Would that bike be good for 14 second quarters? I would rather a reliable 4 stroke than a 2 stroke.

Thanks.

EDIT: I DONT WANT TO BE YELLED AT FOR USING AN APOSROPHE WHEN IT WASN'T NEEDED IN THE TOPIC NAME AS IT'S LATE I'M TIRED...
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language

Last edited by Cobra; 10-21-2003 at 07:52.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2003, 22:04   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Re: Motorbike Enthusast's required

Don't you damn well know when to use an apostrophe???? Oh, oops! :-)

I'm in NSW and bikes up to 660cc are allowed provided power to weight is okay. Why not just call up the Vic equivalent of the RTA?

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 22:57   #3 (permalink)
Motorbike rider

I have got a honda VTR 250 which I bought brand new for 8K. In victoria you have to have your learners for at least 3 months before going for your licence. You are restricted to 250cc whilst on your learners and for the first 12 months of your full licence. (then go get an R1!!)

I got my learners at HART which is run by Honda Australia http://www.hartridertraining.com.au/ they are pretty good and take care of everything for you.

As for the type of bike, I was looking at a CBR but most of the people I spoke to told me that nearly everyone drops their first bike. (I havn't yet - touch wood!) A fully faired (body kit) bike will cost more to insure and repair than a non faired bike. They are also fairly highly strung, they rev to around 20k I think so I am not too sure about the reliability. If you are doing a lot of Km's then get a bike that will be comfortable to ride, sports bikes like the CBR tend to get uncomfortable on long trips.

As for performance, the VTR has about 24kw to play with and about 140kg dry weight. I have not had it at the track (yet) acceleration is not blindingly fast but good enough (probably not 14sec quick). Top speed is 140 sitting upright and 150 crouched over the tank. I suspect a fully faired bike would be a lot more aerodynamic.
Old 10-21-2003, 22:58   #4 (permalink)

The 4-strokes usually cost alot more to be serviced than the 2-strokes, and are similarly priced (for hi-po ones anyway), if i was getting a 250cc bike i would head straight for the rgv250t, bloody fast,(faster than the CBR's) and i dont think that the servicing cost is up there with the 600 dollars (450 for a minor service) that the cbr will cost. plus they wll keep up with old 600's.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 22:58   #5 (permalink)
Motorbike rider

BTW nice use of apostrophe!!!
Old 10-21-2003, 23:00   #6 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Do you need previous bike experience before you go for a test or do you learn everything there?
A few of my mates have bikes and me and some others want to get our license after exams.

Thanks
dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 23:04   #7 (permalink)
Motorbike rider

I have ridden dirtbikes before so I found the riding part fairly easy, others attending the course had no experience and passed. If you can ride a pushbike and have reasonable co-ordination you should be fine.
Old 10-21-2003, 23:09   #8 (permalink)
Motorbike rider

I havn't had a major service yet but a minor cost $150, granted mine is not a high performance bike but a CBR 250 shouldn't cost a whole lot more I wouldn't think. RGV250 == very quick bike, dangerous to the inexperienced.
Old 10-21-2003, 23:16   #9 (permalink)

CBR's are that expensive to service (well my mates 2000 model CBR250RR was) due to the fact that they have the 4 carbies, getting these set up right takes alot of time and effort. Considering that they rev past 18000 rpm if one carbie is out of tune it is noticable due to a slight power drop and the engine will vibrate slightly at the high revs. Plus the use of high grade oils and the air filters have to be washed(all 4 of them) or replaced. it all starts adding up very quickly.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 23:17   #10 (permalink)
Motorbike rider

Even more happy to own a VTR in that case.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub