Mountain Bikes (Who has one???) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2004, 17:56   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Mountain Bikes (Who has one???)

Hiya All,

Haven't posted a new thread for discussion for awhile. Thought i'd post this as i've just ordered a new mountain bike. For those of you's in the know in terms of mountain bikes i will post some specs, for others it might be a load of jargon.

My previous bike was a 1994 Avanti Ridge Rider, 18inch frame with the STX special edition group set, it has served me damn well and still looks trick after 10 years. Yes i still have it.

Anyhow my new wheels is a Giant XTC2 (21inch frame), with the DeoreLX/XT group set, 27 speed and Rock Shox Juke XC U-Turn forks with 63mm-103mm adjustable travel and adjustable rebound. I didn't want a full suspension bike as it's too bulky for what i need. Brakes are Avid V brake system. Can't wait to pick it up and take it for a spin around the bush.

Just wondering amongst us Ford nuts, who here owns a mountain bike and what bike (and specs if possible) is it.

Cheers,
Gary.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2004, 18:33   #2 (permalink)
YES its a 5 Speed!!

Re: Mountain Bikes (Who has one???)

well i own a mongoose switch back, top gun suspension, Velocity deep V rims, 24 speed shimano gears and front disc brake... i dont know the specs but its alright i guess!! i love goin down along the local river and fangin it around the tracks!

For Sale: 2001 Yamaha WR400F
PM me for info
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 19:02   #3 (permalink)
Kiwi's Can Fly

I love mountain biking, those downhills blow out some cobwebs. Did you look into getting disc brakes, i have had heaps of discussions with mates over disc vs V's, everyone who has discs says they are awesome, and they v guys said they would rather have v's, so its hard to get a straight answer. Just personal preference i suppose.

2001 AUII XR8 PURSUIT UTE

MAN THIS BEAST IS GONNA GET ME IN A WHOLE LOT OF TROUBLE

BETTER NOT FORGET MY TRUSTY SKI MACHINE
1994 FORD TELSTAR 4X4 WAGON
SkiHardOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 19:54   #4 (permalink)
i'll pinch ya mums tyres

i used to have a mountain but i blew the motor up (me)..although i got a more powerful version now = Honda XL250 '83 model
ps: your montain bike is worth more than my honda :(
Old 03-07-2004, 20:12   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiHardOut
Did you look into getting disc brakes, i have had heaps of discussions with mates over disc vs V's, everyone who has discs says they are awesome, and they v guys said they would rather have v's, so its hard to get a straight answer. Just personal preference i suppose.
Yeap looked into Disc brakes, but my bicycle shop said alot of the top mountain bikers still prefer V Brakes and they do pull up quicker than average quality Disc brake systems (Hayes and Deore Disc systems). However with V brakes the side of the rims do wear. The top end disc brake system like the Shimano XTR's are the gun in brakes but are typically found on $4-5k mountain bikes.
Good thing with mine is that it's disc ready if ever i need to go Disc brakes.

The Disc version of my bike would set me back $2200.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 23:16   #6 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

i got a Target 'special' with dual shocks....gf wanted one for christmas a few years ago. still wondering why i bought since its only left the shed about 5 times.
Old 03-07-2004, 23:17   #7 (permalink)

I would think the disc brakes would outperform V brakes alot - especially when you ride through water/mud or even in the rain. My friend has the average quality discs front and rear, the front works well, but the rear just won't bite as well - maybe there is a setting to improve it. To make the rear stop sufficiently, you need to squeeze the lever hard.

I'm a road rider so I don't need a mountain bike. I did have a road bike that cost $1000 in 1989, but eventually sold it as I wasn't using it much. Now I'm back to using my trusty 1986 vintage 10 speed Malvern Star I've had since I was 12. If you pay a little attention to the bike every now and then, the bike will keep going for a long, long time.
Old 03-07-2004, 23:30   #8 (permalink)
ED Falcon Owner

I bought a Trek 8500 not long ago.. seems like a pretty good bike for the money, back disc is a bit noisey tho.. thought it would worn down by now :/ Anyways, link below :

http://www.trekbike.co.uk/bikes/2004...mance/8500.php
Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 00:08   #9 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf

yeah i am heavily into them,

i have a 1997 cannondale super v 700 here, with a set of rock shock judy dho's up front, all the running gears a bit old and tired now,

so i will be lashing out on a new xt groupset shortly, along with some sweet coda gear, and a rock shok air shock for the rear with a cannondale lefty fork up front.

i am heavily into the free riding/3rd forcing style of mtb... ride anything if you have the balls to do it, nothing beats it.

4 ich suspension either end 32 tooth rear granny cog blast anyhill up or down

cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 01:16   #10 (permalink)
YES its a 5 Speed!!

one thing i found out the hard way with disc front brakes is when i went to the coast for a holiday. sprayed my bike with crc before going as to protect it from salty water etc... went for a blast little did i realise id sprayed the disc... couldnt stop in time and ran into a fence dangit! learn from ya mistakes

For Sale: 2001 Yamaha WR400F
PM me for info
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub