Moving to Melbourne to work for Ford - Help with Where to live!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2004, 06:23   #1 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

Moving to Melbourne to work for Ford - Help with Where to live!!

Hi guys and gals,

I wanted to ask all of those here living in Melbourne and who know it, what they think of my choices for rental accomodation. I have spent a weekend searching (just got back a few hours ago - Sunday 4/7/04) for places to live after doing some internet searches for a week or two and then setting up appointments blah blah. I hired a BA XT from Hertz and drove about 320km in 2 days around Melbourne, it was a MIND BLOWINGLY brilliant drive and I'd deadset not hesitate for a second to own one if needed.. right now the Focus 3 door suits me perfectly... but I digress... (I sell Fords too so I guess realising just how good the XT is is probably a good thing!!!)

Can everyone please let me know what they think of the following suburbs/areas... I have applied for about 4 places and am awaiting receipt of which ones I am successful with, lucky enough to get... We looked in:

Maribynong (or whatever) just West of Highpoint in that new estate, just next to the Defence land there and on the end of the Tram to North Melbourne, #57 I think... (LOVED the place and area, close enough to Broadmeadows by car) Apartment with 2 bedrooms, near new and fantastic price. Clsoe to shops, cinemas and golf, the river... my number one choice.

Ascot Vale (Close to Trams and literally across the road from the race course) with a nice 2 bedroom place, also great features/security and a good price, but not quite the same livable area, at least not within the immediate 500m

Kensington (Gorgeous new estate - Kensington Banks, across the road from the racecourse (South) and with similar nice features, with secure parking also for the beast...) also 2 bedrooms...

I guess out of those three I wouldn't mind hearing of peoples opinions. We were looking to be close to transport into the city or around the local area, all 3 are close to trams, Maribynong isn't near a station but is near trams and is $30 per week cheaper for an otherwise better place!!! Anyone against Maribyrnong? Nice area east of the river? Mind you it is only about 1km away if that from the others!! But I want to be close enough to Head Office to drive each day within 30 minutes, so sneaking up either through Essendon to Sydney Road Northbound to Campbellfield, or around the west up Military Road and through the back behind Broadmeadows to Head Office. I looked in Coburg but didn't like the area, was too far from the city (I'm a 22 y.o. wannabe party animal who never goes out other than to drive his car around and pretend he is being cool, or to have dinner with mates.), the idea of being accessible to the city even by taxi of need be for not too much moolah is a nice idea, whilst still close enough to the airport and work. Hopefully I done good!!! Just need some support/commentary as to any of those 3 areas being best/worst....

Cheers in advance

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2004, 08:00   #2 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Re: Moving to Melbourne to work for Ford - Help with Where to live!!

Im guessing your place of work is in the West side of Melbourne?
Im a SE person so I cant say from experience, but from visiting family in those areas i would rate.
1. Kensington
2.Ascot Vale
3. Marybinyong

They all seem to be in close proximity, but personally i would go for Kensington since it seems to nicer/newer area so i wouldnt mind paying and extra 50 bucks or watever, especially for the secure parking.

Good luck with your new job. It sounds like your transfered to a Ford dealership in Western Melb? Home you like Melb. Let us know your opinions on both citys as a resident.
I live in melb and have been alot to syd, it seems like its more relaxed here but more opportunitys in syd.

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:09   #3 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Zetec i live 5 minutes drive from the Ford HQ, there is a suburb called Roxbugh Park fairly new place stages still devloping lots of poeple have bought rental property's there so there is plenty of places to rent, my nephew just rented a brand new 2 story unit 3 b'room with garage $230 a week...expect pay from $210 up...

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 15:06   #4 (permalink)
gone

OK

If your looking at Ascit Vale, talk to me as the Mrs lives there.

Some bloody good places if you stay away from the housing commission houses, and its a must to have a lock up garage.

Have a look for any accomodation above shops, as they usually included rear access and are desperate for tenants.

Actually any of these areas make sure you have off street parking.

Let me know if you need anything or want me to research real estate agents for you
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 21:03   #5 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Funny I saw this thread because I'm moving to Melbourne as well this month. I haven't actually shopped for apartments yet but I was gonna look around Ascot Vale since shopping, trams and Anglers Tavern are all within walking/crawling distance. I have had probs finding a place there on the net with a LUG but persistence may pay off.

For the record Laminge doesn't want me living near him.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:11   #6 (permalink)
Movin!

AP moving to Melbourne??

Is this for good Pete, or for job purposes?

..or is it to be closer to BSR HQ...
Old 07-05-2004, 01:14   #7 (permalink)

One thing to consider is picking a place that DOSEN'T require you to take the City Link tollway into Ford. Judging by your choices i think your OK as I know someone who spent over $500 per quarter on tollways. I heard a rumor that some Ford staff leasing a Ford Ka spent less then those taking public transport into work? And whats with this influx of people into our "Most Liveable" city...Welcome to our state....and oh yeah you better pick an AFL team to barrick for ( if none yet) otherwise you will have trouble communicating with us every Monday morning.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:50   #8 (permalink)
mmmmm....kookyfudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
Funny I saw this thread because I'm moving to Melbourne as well this month. I haven't actually shopped for apartments yet but I was gonna look around Ascot Vale since shopping, trams and Anglers Tavern are all within walking/crawling distance. I have had probs finding a place there on the net with a LUG but persistence may pay off.

Christ Pete! next you will be trading the Poorsoot for a Focus...........

kooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 03:07   #9 (permalink)
rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete

my old smmmmoooooooooooooooookkkkkin mate moving to Melbourne, hope nobody informs the E.P.A.

how long will you be here for Pete
Old 07-05-2004, 03:25   #10 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Zetec, sounds like you have got it sorted out, I would also suggest that a bit further out the Moonee Ponds/Essendon area may also suit your needs.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub