Music Industry's new Piracy proof format - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2002, 19:51   #1 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

confused Music Industry's new Piracy proof format

Plagiarised from LS1.com...

Music bosses have unveiled a revolutionary new recording format that the hope will help win the war on illegal file sharing which is thought to be costing the industry millions of dollars in lost revenue. Nicknamed the 'Record', the new format takes the form of a black vinyl disc measuring 12 inches in diameter, which must be played on a specially designed 'turntable'.
"We can state with absolute certainty that no computer in the world can access the data on this disc," said spokesman Brett Campbell. "We are also confident that no one is going to be able to produce pirate copies in this format without going to a heck of a lot of trouble. This is without doubt the best anti-piracy invention the music industry has ever seen."
As part of the invention's rigorous testing process, the designers gave some discs to a group of teenage computer experts who regularly use file swapping software such as Limewire and Gnutella and who admit to pirating music CDs. Despite several days of trying, none of them were able to hack into the disc's code or access any of the music files contained within it.
"It's like, really big and stuff," said Doug Flamboise, one of the testers. "I couldn't get it into any of my drives. I mean what format is it? Is it, like, from France or something?"
In the new format, raw audio data in the form of music is encoded by physically etching grooves onto the vinyl disc. The sound is thus translated into variations on the disc's surface in a process that industry insiders are describing as 'completely revolutionary' and 'stunningly clever.' To decode the data stored on the disc, the listener must use a special player which contains a 'needle' that runs along the grooves on the record surface, reading the indentations and transforming the movements back into audio that can be fed through loudspeakers.
Even Shawn Fanning, who invented Napster, admits the new format will make file swapping much more difficult. "I've never seen anything like this," he told reporters. "How does it work?" As rumors that a Taiwanese company has been secretly developing a 12 inch wide, turntable-driven, needle-based, firewire drive remain unconfirmed, it would appear that the music industry may have, at last, found the pirate-proof format it has long been searching for.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2002, 23:35   #2 (permalink)
1 bad 302

Rumour also has it someone is developing a continues sheet of paper with holes in it to create a fool-proof system.
Each hole represents a note and as with the new "record" a special machine is needed to play this music making it copy proof also.
dragonV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 07:40   #3 (permalink)

Theres no way they can make something 100% pirate proof. There will always be a way to make a copy of something. As long as you can read it, then you can copy it. Might be hard or take a while but it will be done. Mark my words on this very day, "it will be done!!!"
Old 08-04-2002, 17:34   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Call me dumb or what but once the music plays on this so called turntable what stops the music being copied to say a cassette tape deck via auxillaries. Once on tape deck, then recording as a wav file on computer and presto a copy on CD.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 20:03   #5 (permalink)

Yeh, as Strider_GuY says. You can also hook up a turntable direct to a computer as well I think.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 22:06   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XR_Strider_GuY
Call me dumb or what but once the music plays on this so called turntable what stops the music being copied to say a cassette tape deck via auxillaries. Once on tape deck, then recording as a wav file on computer and presto a copy on CD.
Only problem with that is you would tend to loose alot of quality.

Secondly i don't think this will even make it big, cause there basically just trying to replace a CD. And the thing thats gonna be big after that is the DVD. Which it is quite big already.

The reason why i don't think it will take off is as above and also everyone will have to replace there stereo's with this turntable device(which sounds primitive) which they won't be happy with.

Are you having us on??
Old 08-04-2002, 22:07   #7 (permalink)

Thirdly, IT WAS COPIED OF LS1. it has to be BS
Old 08-05-2002, 00:06   #8 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Quote:
Originally posted by xf_xr6
The reason why i don't think it will take off is as above and also everyone will have to replace there stereo's with this turntable device(which sounds primitive) which they won't be happy with.

Are you having us on??
Dude, I'm guessing you're pretty young, am I right?

I was wondering if this joke would go over a few people's heads! :s2:

The 'device' that the article talks about is the old vinyl record that the CD replaced. hehehehehehe

Here's the thread where I got it from. If you read down you'll see several people fell for it too.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=137961
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 06:47   #9 (permalink)

Yeah I wasn't really going for it at first, but when i saw the other peoples relies, i thought it must be for real.

But I had a hunch it might of been utter BS.

Well done fella.

ps - im not that young... 22 to be precise
Old 08-05-2002, 07:24   #10 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED (in a scottish accent)
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub