My AU XR really upsetting me.. Time to go? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2003, 19:47   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

My AU XR really upsetting me.. Time to go?

Hey guys...

I dont like to whinge... And I am pretty lucky that I have a car like this at my age... However I have to be honest... I am really starting to feel like the car is not worth it's value and I am seriously thinking of selling it now...

On the plus side the car received a new engine 10,000 km(75,000) ago because the oil pump died and my entire engine was destroyed. Ford payed 5 thousand despite me being 1 month out of warrenty.

On the negative side....

Brakes started squeeling when I hit 85,000km and I have not been able to get rid of the noise. I was told it was brake dust. I have had my pads replaced and the stupid sound is still there.. Its ear peircing almost..

Car ride comfort is terrible. I dont know if it is the build quality of the S1 AU or the suspension/shocks that came with it. I feel like my car is about to fall apart each time I go over a bump. My friends AU3 VCT XR6 is a treat to drive in comparison. Obviously he got what he paid for, however I did not expect the difference to be that great.

Apart from that I have other things to consider...

How much is my XR worth with a new engine in it... Will I recoupe that? Probably not unless it is a private buyer who cares.

What do I switch to? I was offered an R32 Turbo SkyLine for 11,000. I would have bought it however insurance for 2 years would be more than what the car is worth.

I need advice folks. If you think it would be wise for me to sell gimmie a figure I should be aiming at.

I have AU2 Tickfords on it & as I said the new engine which I am not sure is a point worth highlighting?

Cheers guys
AUboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2003, 19:56   #2 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: My AU XR really upsetting me.. Time to go?

Hmm, sad to hear.
I just got my AU1 XR6 VCT and have to say that I have had none of these issues. Ride is firm but not jarring and the whole car feels stiff and well put together, and considering it's one of the early build AU's (Nov98) I'm surprised yours has gone away so bad.
As for price? I got it through a dealer and paid around $22K with less than 90,000km on it so I guess your looking at around the $19-20K mark max.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 21:13   #3 (permalink)
Team Galaxy Try Hard

I'd hate to think what you'd get for a trade in.
Nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 21:53   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

How so?

I was offered 20,000 on a trade-in against a BA XR6.

This was 3 months after BA came out.

So I guess the same dealership would be offering less now.

To get 20 it would have to privately now. Obviously.

If I dont get 20 or close to it I will start looking at how to improve the problems.

Last edited by AUboy; 10-28-2003 at 21:56.
Old 10-28-2003, 21:57   #5 (permalink)
Team Galaxy Try Hard

20,000 sounds like a great price for a trade. If you can afford the change over, id take that if you were thinking about getting rid of it.

I saw an AU1 XR8 with bodykit for 22,000 at kloster in newcastle a few months back.

Edit mine to match yours: Yeah, you should be able to get 20,000 privately, depends what extras you got with it.

Why don't you put it in the for sale section and see if you get any nibbles.
Nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 22:08   #6 (permalink)
17" is for 4cyc

The problems are easy fixed but which way ?

1. Cut your losses and get rid of it.
2.If you want to fall in love with the car again Fix it !

I couldn't bear to drive around with squeaky brakes and I can't believe it can't be fixed. It's pad brand/componds or rotors for sure.
As for the ride, having a S3 XR my self now with 40,000klms the std suspension is crap. (will change it soon myself)
Get some Koni's the brakes fixed and it will be a great car to drive again. That money spent will be wise seeing its got a fresh motor.

Otherwise if money doesn't matter get the BA. YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE.
Old 10-28-2003, 22:14   #7 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

boy if i had a dollar for every AU owner that is facing this dilemma....

sorry to hijack the thread (a bit) but how much do you guys reckon mine would be worth?

seriously consider what the wise old man bluedriver is saying too, in fixing the probs, they dont sound like too serious issues to me

good luck which ever way you go AUboy
Old 10-28-2003, 22:16   #8 (permalink)
FF Town Sheriff

couldn't agree more, the cost of fixing these minor problems would far outweight the cost of trying again. a trip to Herrods and some sound advice might make all the difference! and for a lot less than you might think. A new motor is a godsend, use this to your advantage and stick with her.....

" i will own another V8, just what type of body it's in is another question. "
philbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 22:31   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

Yeh the more I think about it a new engine is a big deal. At least I know what the car is all about now.

The problem is I dont know any mechanics who will put in the time to help me idenfity my problems so that I dont go pissing my money away and then feel the changes have done absolutely nothing.

If I lower the car I will need new shock absorbers hey? I guess Koni/King combo I might have to look at.

Oh I also forgot to mention that my stupid pathetic tyers which I wish I did not get sucked into purchasing whine when in between the speeds of 80-90. I actually hate using freeways.

As you can see its as if I have set my car up to piss me off. Everything from tyers to the suspension ehehhe.

I will put my car up privately for 20. If I get it, I will let it go. In the mean time I will start generating ideas on how to fix stuff.
Old 10-28-2003, 23:53   #10 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

The AUs seem to have been fairly well all over the place as far as build quality goes - I hear of bloody good ones, but I've heard of a couple like my mate's old man's. Bought a Forte brand new, would have been a serI. Nothing was right from factory.
The dash squeaked, the passenger seat was loose, and one day the rear bumper fell off driving down the Reid Highway! The whole car was put together very shoddily and nothing was done up properly. The dealer who took it as a trade-in actually rang him back up and tried to make him take it back - claimed he must have taken it apart himself!

Oh well the mechanicals are bloody good :)

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub