My concern...... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2002, 07:05   #1 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

My concern......

my concern is unless Ford have (or will do) some major reworking of the current 4.0 then when Holden rolls out their upcoming, state of the art engine, then i fear the media will get stuck into our 1960's engine in a similar they did to when holden brought out Gen 3 and we had the old windsor. I know Barra engine will be great, but i just hope it is enough for the savage media and buyers

I think Ford will have the better engine for now, but come late 2003 i fear the tide may turn back in the generals favour. Afterall a brand new engine will have the ability to be far better (fuel, power, NVH etc)

I hope i am wrong!
TurboDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2002, 07:19   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

It's a sad fact that the trusty six will need to be replaced with something from an overseas model sooner or later. Holden reached this stage in 1986 and never looked back.

This doesn't mean Falcon will become extinct, just a little less Australian.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 07:30   #3 (permalink)
BSR B!tch

about the only thing 1960's abou tthe up and coming engine is the bore spacing ... if that's all they can find then good on em. DOHC and fuel injected...that meets all the techno geeks criteria..if they pick on it it's an anti ford thing .. It doesnt have to be a V6 to be state of the art
Old 08-13-2002, 07:43   #4 (permalink)
BSR B!tch

damn..forgot to log off the Mrs !!!!!

you get the picture
Old 08-13-2002, 07:45   #5 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_Travis
It's a sad fact that the trusty six will need to be replaced with something from an overseas model sooner or later. Holden reached this stage in 1986 and never looked back.
If that useless ecotec v6 is 'never looking back' i'd be quite happy for Ford Aust to continue redesigning/refining the I6 for quite some time to come!
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 07:46   #6 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Well you see it's not a question of cylinder bore spacings or DOHC or whatever else - if it costs too much to keep updating the six and make it competitive with rivals in terms of performance, economy, refinement and emissions, Ford Australia will probably look to its US arm for a cheaper and better alternative. Unfortunately it will probably happen sooner or later.

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Old 08-13-2002, 07:49   #7 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Quote:
Originally posted by PigDog

If that useless ecotec v6 is 'never looking back' i'd be quite happy for Ford Aust to continue redesigning/refining the I6 for quite some time to come!
The ECOTEC is an engine with a temporary lifespan. And the fact is that Holden has to pay next to nothing to adapt it to the Commodore. And soon enough they'll get another engine that they don't have to design themselves. Australia is a small market, and we are very lucky to have the Falcon with as much local input as there is. But whether it will remain that way eternally remains to be seen. :oo1:

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Old 08-13-2002, 07:55   #8 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_Travis

The ECOTEC is an engine with a temporary lifespan. And the fact is that Holden has to pay next to nothing to adapt it to the Commodore. And soon enough they'll get another engine that they don't have to design themselves. Australia is a small market, and we are very lucky to have the Falcon with as much local input as there is. But whether it will remain that way eternally remains to be seen. :oo1:
Well i can't really agree with you jack since there has been talk of Ford US adapting the basic barra design into the next mustang.. ie/ floorpan, locally designed control blade IRS (which is far superior to what they currently use). Ford Aust aren't behind in sales for technological reasons - they just need to make a car that doesn't look like a cockroach on wheels!
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 08:55   #9 (permalink)

Holden import the V6 at the moment, Ford still build their 50 yr old straight six, therefore there is no local input with Holden? There is more to the car than the engine, just thought I would let you know. Is that why so many Australians forget that sports cars have 2 doors?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 09:06   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by chevypower
Is that why so many Australians forget that sports cars have 2 doors? [/B]
Well howcome Holden made a 4 DOOR MONARO IN the HJ HZ
XR8MICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub