My discussion with Ford on the matter of Ethanol in Fuel. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2002, 14:57   #1 (permalink)
Sex on wheels

My discussion with Ford on the matter of Ethanol in Fuel.

My debate with Ford this morning......

You too can have the same debate at: http://www.ford.com.au/contact/Contact.asp

Just click on the little green box for live help.

Alexandra: Thank you for using our chat room. How can we help you?

you: Hi there. With regard to the debate on ethanol in fuel. Can Ford recommend who I should buy my petrol from?

Alexandra: I'll find that information for you now. I'll just be a moment.

Alexandra: Unfortunatley we are not able to recommend one particular company.

you: I don't want to damage my new XR8 on the account of Johnny being corrupt. Surely ford has a stance on this and can recommend something.

you: am i not supposed to drive my vehicle for another 16 months until the tests to prove ethanol is damaging come to light

Alexandra: We can not recommed a particular manufacturer for you to use.

Alexandra: There is no legal scale to say one manufacturer is better than another. Its entirely up to consumer choices.

you: Ok. So can I get a letter from Ford advising i will not void my warranty by using ethanol based fuels.

Alexandra: You will need to use the fuel that is recommended in your owners manual with the legal content of ethanol. I would suggest if it is such a concern for you that you ask each of the petrol companys to supply you with there ethanol readings for the fuels.

you: i guess i'm just the ham again in between the sandwich of government and large enterprise. I'll take your advice and query the service stations on the amount of ethanol they use in their fuel. I guess it doesn't seem such a concern to you personally because you drive a company car right?

Alexandra: No i do not drive a company car. But i do also, like yourself drive a AU2 XR8.

you: Have you had many enquiries about fuel this morning or is it just me?

Alexandra: You have actually been the first person this morning, but im sure if it was on the news this morning we will get more enquires about the issues you have raised.

Alexandra: Thank you for using our chat room. Good-bye.

you: It was on the news last night. It's a fairly hot debate at the moment because Howard won't legislate a threshold of 10% until further studies have been complete to prove it's damaging for engines. The company that produces 90% of Australia's Enthanol is in bed with the Liberal party

you: anyhow, you have a good day too Alex. Bye

Click here to see full size avatar....

Autos are for lazy drivers
GTPChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2002, 15:09   #2 (permalink)

Umm, she works for Ford... not the fuel companies...
I reckon you were pretty rude and unfair to her. If they oil companies are messing with the fuel they aren't really going to be telling car manufacturers are they?
TheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 15:17   #3 (permalink)
Sex on wheels

No i don't think i was rude to her.

I think it's rude of Ford not to be able to recommend a preferred supplier because of their failure to even attempt to negotiate with the fuel companies.

Imagine if Mobil agrees not to use ethanol in their fuel and Ford recommend the motorist only use that brand of petrol, surely everyone here would go by their recommendation. Fuel sales for Mobil would go through the roof!!!

It's rediculous that a car company can threaten to void your warranty on the basis they can't recommend a bowser that is able to supply a key component to have their product running smoothly.

Chris

Click here to see full size avatar....

Autos are for lazy drivers
GTPChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 15:20   #4 (permalink)

Chris I do see your point, but I think you should be taking issue with the oil companies not Ford.

And if they did what you suggest re. Mobil you could kiss DJR goodbye.
TheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 15:46   #5 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

I know how you feel, and I don't believe you were rude at all. However Elvis is right she works for Ford... not the fuel companies.

I know you feel like you are banging your head against the wall but it is something the petrol stations have to deal with not car manufacturers.

Ethanol in fuel has been around for a long time now, I think you might be a little paranoid about it.

Just buy fuel from major companies, Shell, Mobil etc and stay away from independant places. That's all you can do.
Old 12-11-2002, 16:00   #6 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Sorry man you were being a bit rude.
Unfortunatly companys can't recommend good supplyers for parts or fuel because this would be advertising a particular brand over another.
I get the same thing at my work. I know the best modems to buy but I can't tell any of my customers that there modem is crap othewise I loose my job and optus gets sued.
carazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 16:02   #7 (permalink)

So everytime you fill up with petrol you need to get a statement from the petrol station as to the Ethanol content of their fuel? Rather unlikely that would happen I think! Most of the time you would get some casual behind the counter that wouldn't even know what Ethanol is let alone know if the petrol their selling had any in it. There is no way the consumer can be expected to know how much or if any Ethanol is in a particular batch of petrol unless they drain their tank and send the contents to a lab for analysis. Rather inconvenient and costly to say the least. Ford are just covering their @rse - why should they have to fork out for engine rebuilds when it's not their faul that the damage was caused by inferior fuels or dodgy additives. By the same token, we the consumer shouldn't have to pay for it either (or suffer the inconvenience and possible lost income while our vehicles are off the road for repairs). The Government should investigate and if neccessary regulate. But they won't while the major supplier of Ethanol is a large donater of funds to them. Why isn't Allen Fels looking into this? Because he gets paid by the same Government that is receiving the "kickback"...

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 16:56   #8 (permalink)
gone

Chris

I dont think you where rude!

I strongly beleive that car manufactures should make a stance in the fuel market.

Common guys if they are prepared to void warrantly because of the mix, and then go on to say that we should ask each servo, shouldnt someone make a stance??

Why should it be the consumer?
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 17:01   #9 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Are they even allowed to void the warranty under the terms of the Trade Practices Act when there's no legislation one way or another in regards to ethanol?
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 17:56   #10 (permalink)

have Ford said they would void warrenty due to the ethanol content in fuel?? if they recommend unleaded and you use unleaded how could they void youre warrenty?

but id be sticking with shell,mobil and bp
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub