My first track day!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2004, 01:36   #1 (permalink)

My first track day!!

I know this is ford forums, but I thought I'd share my experience that I had today on my Kawasaki ZX10R at eastern creek today.

Well, to start off, it was a great one. I didnt come off and didnt eat the gravel anywhere. So firstly it was successful. I was told by the more experienced that at the end of the day, times, winning, loss etc are irrelevant. A successful ride day (be it track day or race meet) is if you and your mates all load the bikes back into the Van/Trailer in one piece.

The day started with me finishing work at 3 am and in bed at 4. Woke up at 7 thinking, I hope I'm rested enough. Had a quick shower and to eastern creek I went.

First hicup, I get there and my booking, though confirmed, my payment didnt go off my credit card. I gave it to the lady on tuesday and lost it thursday and she tried to put it through on Friday. Luckily my good mate scott helped me out there.

As I was walking I ran into Mark (mate from Bikers Anon, a riding club). He had many a wise word for me and I must say I dont know how to thank him enough!!! If it wasnt for him, I'm sure the tow truck would have been needed!!

Started the morning conservativly in C group. Its was fun but got boring soon as I kept running into traffic. Next session I was doing laps of around 2'14 (waited till everyone was out a slotted myself in). Times got down to 2'12 but I kept running into traffic. Mark then took me to see Tex (and Cash, ok for the forums people, Tex is great with bikes and Cash is his dog that rides th him on his motorbike, truly an amazing dog!!). He checked my tyre pessure, looked at me and showed me the tyre pressure indicator. 38 front 45 rear. He then dropped it to 30 - 30. Also upgraded myself to B2 level. Went out for the next session and got down to a 2'08. Made a world of difference in feeling. If not for Tex I would have slid out by the end of the day with such high pressure!

Mark watched me and told me how to pass others by using better lines. I was feeling a little tired (lack of sleep kicking in) and skipped one session. Went out for session session 4 and was down to a 2'06. Mark was my time keeper for all these times. It was really good having his experience to guide me. I Was lucky.

During my hunt for better times, I ended up scrapping my foot a couple of times. The first time did take me by suprise and gave me a quick scare but I soon learnt that it was part of the game and if I positioned my feet higher on the pegs, it wouldnt happen. Problem solved. Another scare was on turn 2 and 12, I was leaning too far over and when I powered out of the bend, lot my footing of my right foot. That was scary!!! but got used to that soon enough. hehehe...

My final session, Mark was no where in site (must have called it a day)so I had to my own time keeping (10R has an inbuilt stop watch). Gave myself 2 laps to warm up, and off. Lap 1 was 2'07, lap 2 2'02, lap 3 2'00 and final lap 1'59. my mate clocked me a 1'58 on the final lap so give and take, I'm claiming a 1'59!! lol... had the bike powersiding a couple of times in the final couple of laps that was a bit of a suprise (on acceleration) but delt with easy enough.

I was told they are pretty good times for a newbie. Main straight speed was around 250 - 270. I quickly put some tape over the speedo cause it was distracting. It doesnt matter what it reads, you ride/drive within yourself. All in all, a very satifying experince. If you havent done it, What are you waiting for!!! Its the best feeling ever and you learn what your bike/car can and cant do. I still got 3 mm of unused rear rubber that I hope to fix by next track day!! ;-)

Must admit my day in the XR8 at Wakefield has been overshadowed by todays experiences. Need to take the V8 out to the creek for some fun soon!

Again, BIG THANKS to MARK aND TEX for their help in making my first track day, the time of my life!!

Cheers.

Kieran
BA XR8 Manual, BluePrint, Momo Steering, Momo Shifter, Leather, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Premium Brakes, 20" X 8.5" HP Hekitk Wheels. Herrod Lowering Springs and Chip, Brad Garlic Reprogramme, NO REAR SPOILER.
Kawasaki ZX 10R, Lime Green. 0-100kms/hr 2.8 sec, 0-160kms/hr in under 5.5 sec. 0-400m 9.4 sec. First gear sees you to 185kms/hr. THE CHAMP IS HERE!
Kypez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2004, 01:40   #2 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Re: My first track day!!

Well done mate! Gotta love those ZX10R's. Damn I wish I had one! What colour is yours? Got any pics from the day?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 01:44   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Well done mate! Gotta love those ZX10R's. Damn I wish I had one! What colour is yours? Got any pics from the day?
Its lime green. Kawasaki's racing colour. I always have been a fan of lime green.

Will post some pics soon. There is a photographer there and he was taking some pictures that will be avaiable for purchase. I've got his website somewhere and they will be up in a couple of days so I'll post them when I can download them to my computer.
BA XR8 Manual, BluePrint, Momo Steering, Momo Shifter, Leather, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Premium Brakes, 20" X 8.5" HP Hekitk Wheels. Herrod Lowering Springs and Chip, Brad Garlic Reprogramme, NO REAR SPOILER.
Kawasaki ZX 10R, Lime Green. 0-100kms/hr 2.8 sec, 0-160kms/hr in under 5.5 sec. 0-400m 9.4 sec. First gear sees you to 185kms/hr. THE CHAMP IS HERE!
Old 08-21-2004, 01:53   #4 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Cool, sounds good mate. So what other bikes were out there? Any Litre bikes from The ZX10R's class? I'd be interested in comparing times of the Kawa to that of an R1, GSX-R 1000 and CBR1000RR.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:33   #5 (permalink)

You'll be suprised. The fastest lap times were this lady on a Yamaha 250. She was doing 1'41 - 1'42.

Didnt get a chance to ask the others on the bigger bikes, but most people were doing 1'50's, in B group atleast.
Old 08-21-2004, 20:50   #6 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

wow that sounds unreal. Im still saving for a bludy bike, cant wait to take it to the track.

Is you ZX-10R the new 2004model? Theyve won alot of acclaim in the mags.

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 21:35   #7 (permalink)
3FB Educator!

Great to hear Keiron, did you have to wear shoes to get on the track?
B-1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 22:13   #8 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

I remember my first EC day on a bike. It was a Honda CBX250, and my best time for that day was 2:22.
Next time was on a HD 1200 sportster and I did a 2:12.

Since then most laps have been on my my current Ducati 900ss, best time to date is 1:56.

Best time overall for me is on my now sold Honda RS125, with 1:53.

I've also had my old 351 XD ute at EC, and did 2:01.

I used to masrshal for Moto Concepts, so I've literally done 1000's of laps at EC.

It's a awsome track, but needs plenty of power, something with your kwaka has.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 22:38   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1B
Great to hear Keiron, did you have to wear shoes to get on the track?

I bought a pair of riding boots that were several sizes too small for me. My feet were so sore by the end of the day. Could only get size US 14 shoes and I wear 16's... terrible! but needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
wow that sounds unreal. Im still saving for a bludy bike, cant wait to take it to the track.

Is you ZX-10R the new 2004model? Theyve won alot of acclaim in the mags.
Yep, the one and only.

Its such a rush on a bike. Like I said, I've taken the XR to wakefield, but you just cant compare. Its isnt about the times, its just the pure pleasure of being on a bike. You get so much more input on the bike and you feel one with it, not just steering it.

Get a bike, we could do a few track days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxx
I used to masrshal for Moto Concepts, so I've literally done 1000's of laps at EC.
Some of those marshals hammer it! They are unbelievable! This event was a Moto Concepts event. They are really a well organised bunch. Lot better than some other track days I've attended (helping mates). Good clean FUN!
Old 08-21-2004, 23:16   #10 (permalink)
I wanna eat your children

sounds like you had a ball

i think it'd be great on a bike or in a car...but personally id be too scared. not of the going fast or falling off etc, but the bill that would come out of wrecking your beast!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub