My life crisis thoughts please. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2004, 19:54   #1 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

My life crisis thoughts please.

This is going to be a necessarily lengthy post. I got thinking on the weekend. Where am I going? It bothered me a little because despite the fact that I live a rather comfortable life, there is a distinct difference between comfort and contentment. I have the former but not the latter it seems.

Ill describe this a little and with any luck perhaps someone will be able to relate and offer me some tips to help me stimulate my existence a little.

As of recently I live by myself in a unit in the inner north and have many good fiends, some from the forums with whom I regularly nurture a mutual interest in all things automotive but there is still something missing.

Im an outdoors person (jeeez this feels like a personal add!) who enjoys the thrill of accomplishing something that not everyone can. I work a very flexible full time office job in Brisbane that pays well, especially for my age. Im 24 now. After school I acquired an electronic engineering degree and an IT degree. That took 5 years (which is the minimum time) and Ive been working in this job as an embedded Linux C++ developer since graduation (2 years this coming January).

At work I have no set hours and have no trouble getting time off. Consequently I have time to go to the gym in the mornings or evenings and completely leave work behind me on the weekends. The catch is that my work is not very fulfilling or mentally stimulating. It is in an industry that holds no real interest for me and Im pretty much there for the money. I say to my self that this must describe 90% of the employed population but still I feel like there must be some way to feel challenged in a field of endeavour that I enjoy throughout the week. Its not so much the work that I find dull, its the industry. If I was working on an air defence system or a scram-jet prototype Id be pretty pumped I think. The skills Im learning here my help to realise that one day.

Every step up to this point had been geared toward attaining an education in order to eventually reach a good income and to a certain (lesser?) extent job satisfaction. Well Im there now and its not all that its cracked up to be! Im faced with the decision to stay in a less than fulfilling job for the money and possible future employment potential or give it up in the search for work, which could be more fulfilling but pays less and not further my career as such. Thats one big question mark in my mind, surely I run the risk of being unchallenged / unhappy in a less lucrative position. This may seem to some as if Im complaining about nothing but the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence and I cant help but feel my self stagnate.

If I were being asked to describe my interests in a job interview, Id say something along the lines of being interested in
- Cars (obviously) and the associated social aspects.
- All forms of engineering (although Im of the electronic discipline, I enjoy talking to a mate who is a JetStar engineer about gas-turbines and all sorts of mechanical / structural systems etc)
- Cardio work at the gym as well as playing touch footy for work and indoor soccer with OED666 and his work team etc.
- Music (I used to play rhythm guitar a fair bit but these days do more listening than creating)
- ???

Ive looked into the air-force. I can enter as a graduate and receive a commissioned officer rank. There are so many exciting appealing aspects to this option but again along with the pay cut there is the need to commit yourself to the ADF for a period of time. Time being my most precious commodity; Im a little hesitant to promise a chunk of it, especially during this transitional period. Perhaps the reserves would be a compromise?

Perhaps I should broaden my hobbies and work towards non-professional goals. Ive always been interested in shooting but beyond firing a few .22 rounds at a range never really got into it.

Perhaps I should broaden my hobbies and work towards professional goals. This would alleviate the frustration of utilising only a small amount of what I worked so hard to learn (and loosing the rest) and also would look good on paper I guess.

I dont at this stage want to work overseas despite the fact that this would probably further my career. Such an endeavour would find me far away from friends and family and I know Id get home sick wishing the time away. A former high school teacher of mine recommended just this morning joining a research team in the Antarctic for 6 months. Someone who has done it described the experience as life changing but what a thing to commit to!

One thing is certain, for all of us there is less and less time with which I can do crazy stuff (join the military, tromp around the South Pole, whatever). I do eventually want to settle down and have 2.4 kids so how should I budget my time for the next few years in a way that will

1. Intellectually stimulate me
2. Physically stimulate me
3. Provide exciting stories for the grandchildren and more importantly a buzz for me now
4. Support my current life style or one similar.
5. Keep me close to friends and family
6. Provide a sense of accomplishment.

Perhaps I should do what many decide to do when they hit their mid or quarter life crisis. Retail therapy. Im sure a T5 conversion, GT40Ps and a dual exhaust would help me enjoy life for a few weeks

I think this is a timeless problem and one encountered by all people at many stages of life. Like everyone with these thoughts, I know what I dont want but not what I want.
Thats the problem brief. I just thought that some of you on here probably know me reasonable well and especially some of the older folk may have sorted this stage of their life out and can give me some pointers.

Now with less spark,
ignition.
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2004, 20:17   #2 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: My life crisis thoughts please.

I just went through a similar thing myself on many different levels. I got a major case of "Grass is greener" syndrome.
Now that I'm through it I found that the only thing that was a good decision (and hell, I made a few bad ones) was to get out of the job I was in. 8 hours a day,5 days a week minimum is a long tome to be unhappy and will reflect on the rest of your life. You really need to be happy at work (including stimutaled and passionate) or you will go looking at other, less desirable, ways to fulfill yourself.

Step 1. Get another job.
Step 2. See how you feel after a few months.

Thats what I'm doing.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 20:39   #3 (permalink)
Love having 3 peddles

If it were me I would take sometime off and travel a for a couple of months, Australia or Overseas it does not matter, just get out of your current enviroment and enjoy life for a while. Then work out the next direction to head in.
You only live once and there is no point at the end of the line going I wish I did that. Just do it! and have no regrets. cos you don't know if the grass is greener until you try it.

Hope this helped in some way.
Old 09-05-2004, 20:50   #4 (permalink)
Wish it was a real GT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunns
If it were me I would take sometime off and travel a for a couple of months, Australia or Overseas it does not matter, just get out of your current enviroment and enjoy life for a while. Then work out the next direction to head in.
You only live once and there is no point at the end of the line going I wish I did that. Just do it! and have no regrets. cos you don't know if the grass is greener until you try it.

Hope this helped in some way.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm younger than you and haven't been in my current job very long. Just like you it pays well for my age but I can see it leading me to the same situation you are in now. I guess I will worry about that if/when it happens. But as Gunns said, I reckon going overseas for a while would do you a world of good, maybe some of your friends would be up for it aswell.
Completed Mods: 19" ADR Chrome Mags, Panasonic Mp3 Head Unit, 6.5" Pioneer Splits (Front), 6.5" Pioneers (Rear), 12" Sony Pentagon Sub, Alpine Amp, Alarm, Pedders Sports Ryder Suspension, K&N Panel Filter
dj_pom82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 23:14   #5 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

There was an article in radar http://www.radar.smh.com.au/ if you go through the archives, about people that were earning like 200k or other obscene amounts that threw in the towel in their jobs and took up far away from their normal careers positions.

Are you in a position where you can

- Do part time work in your job and take up something else in your spare time ?

- Take extended leave and travel

- Set up your own business

- Change jobs. Hell if you have qualifications it can't be that hard to get back into work can it? Hell you like gym work, why not become a personal trainer. They apparently earn some decent money.

- Get another hobby. If you have nothing to look forward to at the end of a day/week that sucks. My g/f is in this position. She has too much time on her hands and needs to get a hobby. Keep yourself occupied.

- My trick. Just go blow a wad of money on something for yourself. Its not spiritually or mentally enlightening but it helps.

- Are you single ? If you are that can suck if you're not gettin any haha

- You mentioned an arctic expedition. Why not even join up with one of the cruise ships and do some laid back hospitality work on a boat for a few months ???

Hope this has helped somewhat ?
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 23:18   #6 (permalink)

Well, I am the one how is guilty of !Gn|T|0ns life crisis. On Saturday night, I brought over a board game called Game Of Life. I think a few things struck him pretty bad. He had a Fairmont Ghia full of kids, and was going pretty slow. (I was actually the slowest). UNR8D wasnt playing. If he was the game may have gone on for a little longer. J/K

But on a serious note, I know how you are feeling. I have been in the same job for 3 years, and its not a challenge anymore. For the first 18 months, I never had time to scratch my arse, but now I have to try and look busy at times. I hate it, I would rather be flat out then have nothing to do. I cant bludge on the forums all day either, as my Brother, who is my boss sits right behind me. He isnt in the office now, otherwise I wouldnt be typing this.

I have set myself a realistic goal, and I want to join the Fire Service. I have to get my HR (Heavy Rigid) licence, and a Advanced First Aid course, and then apply. I will most likely get knocked back the first time, but I am keen and will stick at it. I am also going to apply to join the SES in the next 6 weeks.

!Gn|T|0n, there is no point in going on at your current work if you dont get any job satisfaction. I would happily have less money, if I was to enjoy my work, not that I could get paid much lower.

What ever you decide, you have the support of many of your friends, and I know for sure I would help you out in any way that I could

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 23:34   #7 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Based on what I've just done myself, I'd say the first thing to do is use any connections you've made in the last few years of work to look around for a new job that will give you a bit of a challenge.

I know that I feel so much better this week after handing in my notice last Thursday, and even though I'm still not sure if I've made the right move with this new job - I'm looking forward to the challenge to see once and for all if I've got what it takes to get it done.

I have spent a lot of my life coasting from one easy pursuit to another - working for the money and not the satisfaction of improving myself, but ultimately it leaves you feeling pretty hollow.

I think I've come to realise that for me job satisfaction comes from self satisfaction, so if you're not happy with who you are, I don't think anything you do 9-5 will make you feel better in the long run.

The best thing I guess would be to make your favourite hobby your job, then every day would be like going to play and not work, but I don't know how your skills would mesh with all things cars. I guess whatever changes you make will be a gamble, but right or wrong, remember that the fun in life is in the journey, not in getting to the death at the other end...

Cheers
Jason
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 23:43   #8 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Most people go through this mate, you are not alone, but you have time on your hand, you need to find what interest's you and follow down that path, but do it now before you get to old and find that you can't do it, like I said you are young enough to travel or change your carrer direction, I think I need to do this aswell, as my job is no longer challenging nor satisfying.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 23:49   #9 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

The worst thing to do would be to stay unhappy and years later look back at how you wasted your life being miserable.
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 23:52   #10 (permalink)
watch out for drop bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OED666
Well, I am the one how is guilty of !Gn|T|0ns life crisis. On Saturday night, I brought over a board game called Game Of Life. I think a few things struck him pretty bad. He had a Fairmont Ghia full of kids, and was going pretty slow. (I was actually the slowest). UNR8D wasnt playing. If he was the game may have gone on for a little longer. J/K

Well Mr OED666 you wouldnt have been so far behind if you had that cam and extractors. So hurry up and do it!

Anyway !Gn|T|0n, im sorry to see you so down... I sorta know how you are feeling though, i too have been in with my current employer for nearly 8 years and im only 22 years young. i too feel like there is so much more i could be doing, even if it means i have to lose the income i currently recieve.

Explore all possibilities. Like other have already said, maybe taking some time off, travelling and clearing your head might help things a bit. (PERTH WHOO HOO)

You miss 100% of the shots that you don't take. So take a shot at something different. (or take a shot of something, it might make you feel better) Just do whatever will make you happy.!!!

Like OED666 said, we will all be there for you no matter what path you choose to take! Good Luck!

94 ED Fairmont, TQE, 4 Speed Auto, 3.45 LSD, Lowered (but its still too high), K&N Air Filter,
XH Ute Air Intake, 2 1/2 Manderal Bent Exhaust, Extractors, MOMO Steering Wheel
ALL THE LUXURIES I DESERVE

SOON TO COME: EL Thermos, XR Cam....

PROUD TQE OPERATOR
MissFairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub