Is my mechanic TOTALY ripping me off or what? PLEASE HELP! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2005, 00:44   #1 (permalink)

Is my mechanic TOTALY ripping me off or what? PLEASE HELP!

A couple of weeks ago my car has been progressively getting harder and harder to start. It would sometimes take 2-10 trys. Sometimes it would start right up without a problem. It would do it randomly.

I took it into my local small town mechanic. He absolutely didn’t know what the hell he was doing and decided to replace the fuel filter and charged me 42 dollars for it. Didn’t fix the problem. He said to take it to Napa in town and have them “hock it up to their machines it might be the fuel pump.” So I took it up there and 2 days later they said its my fuel pump. They replaced it. I paid them 175 dollars. Still didn’t start correctly. I took it back now they said it’s the “Fuel Regulator” They “fixed” that now for 190 dollars and now they say “its still having trouble starting it.” So they called into HQ to see whats up and HQ said it is the fuel pump again. The fuel pump we put in is aftermarket and isn’t certified and they heard “other people having problems.” So now they said this fuel pump is going to cost 270 dollars. This is totally BS. I could of bought a whole new car by now.
Their excuse is that the regulator is the problem which fried the fuel pump.

(my parents made me by this POS Mercury Tracer 98.) I don’t know of anywhere else to post this…

Please reply!!!!
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2005, 03:10   #2 (permalink)
slikxb

Re: Is my mechanic TOTALY ripping me off or what? PLEASE HELP!

mercury tracer? I take it your talking US dollars not aussie peso's. IMO you are getting seriously ripped. As your parents made you buy it, they really should pay for the repairs
NAPA really should give you a credit for the shitty fuel pump they supplied you (which they don't stand by and didn't fix your problem) and the you'd only be up for another 100 not 270. I would get pretty angry with them if they didn't do that.
You can't be expected to pay for their incompetance, they should've been able to work out the reg was the prob before frying another fuel pump. It really sounds to me that they're only guessing and I would be surprised if a new fuel pump would fix it. It still drives doesn't it?
I bet they say the injectors need doing next.
p.s. dont go in there pissed off, try to work it out first.
Try and find a mechanic you trust, ask friends and associates for recommendations. And let it known that you're at this new mechanics because youv'e been ripped off and aren't going back to Napa.
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub