My muchly melted piston! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2004, 00:49   #1 (permalink)
e-mutant extrodinare

cool My muchly melted piston!

Hey there guys, I have been talkin in a couple of the tech forums about my melted piston and my rebuild, Thought I had better post a coupld of pics of the piston. No, that third hole isn't supposed to be there. Also thuoght I'd show a couple of pics of my fally as I am sooo stoked to have her back.

ENJOY!

http://www.fordgallery.com/data/500/...Baby_2-med.JPG

http://www.fordgallery.com/data/500/22769My_Baby_1.JPG
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2004, 00:55   #2 (permalink)

Re: My muchly melted piston!

What happened to the cylinder wall.

Old 10-16-2004, 00:56   #3 (permalink)
No longer around

feckin yowch!

thats 1 screwed piston

much damage to the block?
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 01:15   #4 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Ouchy. That doesn't look too good.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:59   #5 (permalink)
e-mutant extrodinare

Well, I replaced the head and the block has been bored out 1mm over so it aint really an issue, but I certainly did cry when I first saw that piston, then I laughed.
Old 10-16-2004, 20:31   #6 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

How did that happen.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 21:40   #7 (permalink)
.au member

Dare I ask just what happened to cause that?!
Old 10-17-2004, 14:58   #8 (permalink)
e-mutant extrodinare

Well, it is a fairly long story. Basically, I went to a wanker mechanic who likes my money. I needed a new car, so I took this EF into him and said hey, what you reckon? He said yep, sweet as. The head as been recently done, so that aint a problem and the box has been reco'd so you shouldn't have a problem there either.

I was stoked. So I bought it. Paid $4,200. After about a month, it was runnin real rough. Took it into him and he said - inlet manifold gasket has gone and I'm pretty sure your head gasket is goen too. Shit! that can't be cheap. He showed me how on the 6th cylinder, the fuel was leaking out through where the inlet manifold gasket should be, therefore, it was running very lean on the fourth cylinder.

He did the head and inet gaskets. $1200 later, I had what I thought was a top car, the head has been done and the box is in good nick. After about another month, the box went. I was spewing! I went to him and said hey, I need a new box, is it worth doin a 5 speed swap. He was pretty convinced it wasn't. I thought it was.

It was about this time that I stumbled onto Ford Forums which is where I found the article on how to do a 5 speed conversion. Can't recall who was responsible for this, but I do recall it was very informative. This inspired me to go to another mechanic. Askd all my mates who they take their cars to and they are happy with. So I went to this one guy who is fairly well recommended and said hmm, 5 speed conversion, who much. He said 300-450 if you supply all the parts.

I was surprised, the first guy didn't even wanna touch it, but this guy would do it for under 500! Turned out I couldn't find a 5-speed, so I just put a second hand auto in. Anyway, I'm kinda gettin off topic.

Basically, we have established that the first mechanic is a wanker. I took my car for a drive down to Brisbane to pic up an XD I bought. Was towing it back over the Gateway bridge and as I was cruising up the motorway, she stopped.

After towing the car back to Maryborough, I found that I had blown the head and melted a piston. Cause being, a small heater hose at the back of the engine. It popped, dropped all the water, engine cooked.

I later found out that heat doesn't generally melt pistons. No fuel melts pistons. So, From what I can gather, between talking to my mechanic, some mates who know a little about cars and a guy from Ford. My piston melted when I blew the inlet manifold gasket. My mechanic didn't notice it cause he's a tosser. He did the headgasket and didn't even notice a melted piston. When I ble wthe headgasket this last time, the engine got so hot, that the melted piston couldn't handle it, so it started attaching itself to the block.

That is pretty much the story. Before anyone asks, I won't be giving the name of the dodgey mechanic as I don't want to be done for defamation nor do I want him to think that I am trying to drag him down.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:23   #9 (permalink)
EFing Quick!

Check this page out:

http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/bmart...efamation.html

When threatened with a defamation suit, most people focus on whether or not something is defamatory. But there is another, more useful way to look at it. The important question is whether you have a right to say it. If you do, you have a legal defence.

If someone sues you because you made a defamatory statement, you can defend your speech or writing on various grounds. There are three main types of defence:

* what you said was true;

* you had a duty to provide information;

* you were expressing an opinion.

So in my opinion I think you should name the mechanic to prevent other people getting screwed over...
1995 EF Futura - Crow stage 2 cam & adjustable gear, K&N cold air intake, AU XR intake snorkel, Advance stainless steel extractors, hi-flow cat converter, 2.5" pipe, 17" ROH RT shadow chrome mags, Pedders sports ryder suspension, DBA gold cross drilled/slotted rotors, lowered 1.5", camber kit, engine + starter immobiliser and microwave sensor security system.

Teh funnay is now linked here!
Beefchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 03:12   #10 (permalink)
No longer around

well said beef....

now who was this tosser mechanic!
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub