My New Computer (Computer Gurus Read Too) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2004, 18:11   #1 (permalink)
Rollcage Crash Test Dummy

My New Computer (Computer Gurus Read Too)

Hey Guys, this is the New System that im ordering today

P4 3.0Ghz HT, 1Gb Cosair DDR400 (Dual Channelled 512's), 450W Power Supply, Abit IC7 Motherboard and a Nvidia 5900XT with XP Pro

Originally i was going to go a 3.2Ghz with a Raedon 9600XT but for the money a 5900XT was a way better option in terms of performance, And in the effort to iron out bottlenecks i chose that card as well...and its only a 200Mhz difference with a downgraded the CPU anyway. Do you think that this set up would go harder?
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2004, 18:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: My New Computer (Computer Gurus Read Too)

you will be dissapointed with the ram I know i am dissapointed with my corsair ram.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 19:12   #3 (permalink)
I am The Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV_KILLA
Originally i was going to go a 3.2Ghz with a Raedon 9600XT but for the money a 5900XT was a way better option in terms of performance, And in the effort to iron out bottlenecks i chose that card as well...and its only a 200Mhz difference with a downgraded the CPU anyway.
I would have gone for the Raedon....a good friend on mine just got one (it helps that his Dad runs a computer business...so it was cheap) and he is raving about. Absolutely loves it. Just out of interest...how much more would it have cost?
Old 05-10-2004, 19:22   #4 (permalink)
FORD FREAK

That was a good idea to go for the 5900XT, the Raedons I feel are not as good and they don't work on some of the games very well.
My housemate has a Raedon (128mb) and I have a 64mb Nividia G-force and my computer runs the games way better than his.

Nice system though, I think i a lagging behind a bit these days, time for a computer upgrade I think.
Old 05-10-2004, 19:25   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Yeah Radeon cards have been having alot of issues with the latest games, usually they are great cards but i'd stay away from them at the moment. My mate and i both have nVidia cards and we get waaay better performance in Farcry than his brother with almost identical system but a Radeon card.
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 20:24   #6 (permalink)

Yay :-) looks like im heading in the right direction tho
Old 05-10-2004, 20:32   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHawk
I would have gone for the Raedon....a good friend on mine just got one (it helps that his Dad runs a computer business...so it was cheap) and he is raving about. Absolutely loves it. Just out of interest...how much more would it have cost?
Well i would have maybe gone with the Raedon 9600XT if it was Faster than the 5900XT but its not, the 5900XT shames it, and give the 9800XT a run for its money in the benchmarking on some levels...its a bit more than a 9600XT and a heap less than the 9800XT...bfyb wise, i think it will rock.

My Mate who agrees that the Raedon is really good also sees allot of issues with it running some games and he's allways having to go on the net to find patches for his friends who cant just plug in and play at LAN parties..which sux!

Well my 5900XT is costing me $320, the whole box is costing $1800 all upi. I decided on a lesser Processor and better graphics card to reduce bottlenecks, get better graphics and allow the P4 3.0Ghz to stretch its legs. A 9800XT prices in at almost double the 5900XT in most cases. Besides...i was paying $100 more for a 200Mhz difference on the CPU...not worth it in my opinion
Old 05-10-2004, 21:55   #8 (permalink)

I've read reviews that back up the statement the 5900XT is faster than a 9600XT. They also say the image quality is better on the Radeon. I comes down to your preferences. If you'd rather go for higher framerates at a slightly higher cost and a loss in image quality - so be it. $100 more for a 6 o 7% clock speed increase isn't good value. It would be much wiser to put that $100 towards better graphics (which you've done) or spend it further down the track by dropping a higher speed CPU in it when the prices drop as the newer products are released.
Old 05-10-2004, 22:31   #9 (permalink)

I have a GeCube Radeon 9600XT, bloody brilliant card, given me no worries at all, couldnt be happier with it
Ambrose_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 22:54   #10 (permalink)
Circuit board dressups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6pAc|30nG|00n
you will be dissapointed with the ram I know i am dissapointed with my corsair ram.
Mine's absolutely great.

And I optioned for a 9600 Pro w/ 256 MB Ram, runs great, and all day... esp. since I had a few caching probs with my old card
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub