My SS review (long) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2004, 16:33   #1 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

My SS review (long)

Last night I was given the oppotunity to drive a VY SS series 2 6sp manual. As a V8 mad Ford fan I didn't have to have to be asked twice to see what the dark side offered. I will try and be as unbiased in my opinion as possible so if I do seem that way forgive me I am a ford man :D . As I have not yet driven an XR I can only compare to my XT.

The Car
The car was a white police issue commodore SS. A friend of mine works for Holden and leases cars every so often (he is not brand loyal, he'll drive any car). He jumped at the opportunity to grab this one. I am not sure what a standard SS looks like compared to a police issue. The only noticeable difference in this one was the digital speed output.

My Thoughts

Exterior
Well being white it looks like a fridge on wheels, but that happens with most cars. It had the 18in rims. I still can't like the back of the car but have got used to it. Compared to the falcon the car just doesn't seem as refined, smooth. But it looks mean from the front. I did like the feature when it became dark the lights would go on automatically. So even when coming back to the car and unlocking it, the lights would go on. I also liked the fact that the power window controls were lit up at night. c'mon Ford how many cents would it cost to do that. However I didn't like how the front doors didn't have them but were on the console, much better to have them on the door handles.

Interior
They have come a long way with the interiors of the commodores. It didn't look too bad but it still had traces of being a 6th generation VT. Seats were comfy and there was HEAPS of room front and back. However the back seats in my XT seemed more accomodating. I am only 5ft 7 so I don't require much. I wasn't too keen on the red dash . In a white car it looks weired. At night when the dash is lit up you don't see the red. Indicator stalks were light and easy. The cd player console, a/c, etc area was way too busy for my liking. Too many controls. To adjust something while driving it was too easy to pay attention to the buttons rather than the road. The boot seemed a little small and shallow. I expected a big gaping chasm.

The ride
Ok well the car drove well and was DAMN QUICK. As you would expect from 245kw 5.7 V8 it had power. At idle the car sounded lovely, a low burble to signify whats underneath the bonnet. However when giving the car some instead of sounding better the note sounded more like a vacuum cleaner. Maybe a better exhaust system?? Anyway probably the worst thing about the ride would have to be the clutch. Its too damn long. Other cars I have driven never had a clutch like that. But I guess thats how they are. Gear changes were very smooth, no dramas there. Although what the hell is with the 6th gear?? Seems a waste to me. Never even used , not even on the freeway. Brakes were not the best. Felt like stock exec brakes. Ride was stiff, but expected that from a sports sedan (and being a police car). Body roll was evident and if it wasn't for those wide new sticky 235 tyres at the back the car would have lost grip. Just didn't seem as stable on the road as the falcon.

Overall I was impressed by the car, it was quick, drove well and was a V8. However it would take a lot more for me even to consider a holden. But was a good experience.

Now all i need now is to get my butt into an XR . Does anyone know if you can hire them from places like Budget and the such??

Last edited by Night_Lurker; 01-26-2004 at 17:21.
Night_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2004, 17:34   #2 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Re: My SS review (long)

Nice Review there Lurker. A little Biased as you said but a good review never the less. Yeah 6th gear = No use on public roads. Thanks for spending the time writing that up a interesting read mate.
AUPS

Last edited by AU1SIXA; 01-26-2004 at 18:34.
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 18:08   #3 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1SIXA
Nice Review there casper.
Check again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Lurker
Blah blah blah...
Night_Lurker != Casper! hehehehe
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 18:36   #4 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Im on drugs see what 4 hours sleep gets ya nothing but a headache and confusion. I even knew that Nigh_Lurker wrote it but my head wrote Casper figure that one out. I think i have casper on my mind for soem reason. I think im just used to him whoring LOL. Thanks for that Andrew.
AUPS
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 18:50   #5 (permalink)

" I also liked the fact that the power window controls were lit up at night. c'mon Ford how many cents would it cost to do that."

They light up in my car.
Old 01-26-2004, 19:42   #6 (permalink)

forgiven AU1SIXA :) heheh tell you the truth i never noticed. anyway yeah my report seems very biased from reading it now. hmmm
corpex what car do you drive?? Maybe its just BA XT's that don't have the illuminated power windows cause my DEFINETLY doesn't have them.
Old 01-26-2004, 20:38   #7 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

How did they get a police issue commo in a manual ? Afaik all police vehicles are auto . . .
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 21:38   #8 (permalink)

I dunno but now that you mention it....hmmm might have to find out further...
Old 01-26-2004, 22:11   #9 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Lurker
Does anyone know if you can hire them from places like Budget and the such??
No, but I do know where you can get Toyota Avalons!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 22:15   #10 (permalink)
EFII Ghia owner

Ive seen a few manual SS cop cars
EF_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub