My Test drive of the BA XT - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2003, 18:12   #1 (permalink)
BOF

My Test drive of the BA XT

Yesterday afternoon I had the pleasure of testdriving a XT BA with the only mod 17 inch mags.

Anyway some on the things I noticed, and this is only my opinion.

The driving position was very good, seemed to fit like a glove compared to the VX.

The auto gear lever felt very cheap and nasty although I loved the sports shifter idea.

The engine is very smooth compared to the last ford I drove, (an AU3), low down grunt is very poor compared to the VX although as we all know this is due to the 100km/h first gear of the auto, It's fine telling people it has grunt but people like to feel it, why oh why dont Ford ask BTR to lower the ratio of 1st gear so the thing goes off the line?.

With the engine at WOT when it gets to about 3700rpm something happens and an extra kick of power comes on, this kick is not your gradual increase as revs increase, it's something mechanical adjusting. From 3700 to 5500 it's the best engine I've every had the pleasure to drive, and does this baby like to rev or what?

Verdict, great car, looks great from the outside and the Jury is still out on the inside although it's a quantam leap over the AU dash.

ps, Ford please use a better glue on the rear view mirror as it fell off in my hand during the test.
VC Valiant 245Hemi, 280zx Nissan 5 speed, 88 EA 3.9CFI,94 ED Gli X Chaser, 79 FC LTD, 351, FMX, 91 EA2 Fairmont Ghia, 1999 AU S pack, 2000 AU Forte, 1992 EB2 XR8, 2001 AU2 SR, 2002 VX2 Acclaim, 2002 VX2 Manual S pack,2003 BA XR6 manual, 2001 VX2 Berlina.
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2003, 18:20   #2 (permalink)

Re: My Test drive of the BA XT

Quote:
Originally posted by BOF
It's fine telling people it has grunt but people like to feel it, why oh why dont Ford ask BTR to lower the ratio of 1st gear so the thing goes off the line?.
Hopefully that should be fixed up with the 5 or 6 speed box due with the new Falcon.

I agree it is too high after driving out XT in a small paddock.
Falcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 18:26   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Glad i'm not the only one who felt this "inital" lack of punch downlow. Despite the XT having 182kw my XR6 feels alot stronger down low but having said that mines a manual. The T5 has a nice 3.35:1 lst gear to really mumbo of the line.

I think the XT auto has a 2.50:1 1st.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 19:52   #4 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Interested to hear how an XT 5 speed goes. Anyone had that experience?

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 20:03   #5 (permalink)

yes the xt autos are slow off the line i agree they need a lower 1st gear.
in manuals i found the sudden increase in power at around 3700rpm is even more noticable!
they seem to be better of the line then they begin to feel almost out of breath at about 3200 then they take off again as you near 4000rpm. the manuals ive driven were mostly all utes and they really got going high up in the rev range!!
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 22:15   #6 (permalink)

My car was in for a service, and some warranty repairs :( for the past 3 days. I got a BA XT auto as a loan car, its been an interesting experience. I would take my AUII Manual over the Auto BA. It's way to sluggish from takeoff and even though the interior looks way way way better than AU, it feels cheap. THe one i drove had 6k on it, there were many rattles and sqeaks, the body also felt disturbingly loose. The plastics don't seem the fit together too well.

Having said all that, the motor is extremly smooth, i'de love to try a manual.
Old 01-09-2003, 22:23   #7 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by dk_falconS
My car was in for a service, and some warranty repairs :( for the past 3 days. I got a BA XT auto as a loan car, its been an interesting experience. I would take my AUII Manual over the Auto BA. It's way to sluggish from takeoff and even though the interior looks way way way better than AU, it feels cheap. THe one i drove had 6k on it, there were many rattles and sqeaks, the body also felt disturbingly loose. The plastics don't seem the fit together too well.

Having said all that, the motor is extremly smooth, i'de love to try a manual.
Hmm... You must have driven prototype Alpha 1 or something. The body may have 'felt' loose but its 88% stronger than the AU. it may have just been the different suspension you were feeling. Squeaks? Man the BA XT hire card I took all the way up to Horsham on back roads didnt squeek once!

Slow take off. Yes, I would agree with this 100%. I believe it has a lot to do with drive by wire more than anything else. It really all depends how they have programmed the ECU to feed on the power. After several foot flat off the line starts I wondered where all the 182kw was going to... Didnt seem to be the rear wheels.

Its amazing the sort of different experiences people get from the same model.
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 03:21   #8 (permalink)

My mates a Ford Sale man at Brad Garlick, he brang an XR6 non turbo round and he let me drive it, no squeaks no rattles quiet as a friggin mouse, handled great, i agree take off isnt the best but it picks up reaaaal quick, Commodores tend to feel like they are screaming from the start, but thats all it really does screams,the engine sounds like its about to die, where with the Falcon is consistent and smooth.
Ford_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 03:52   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, I drove an NA XR6 and it went well, and I wasn't even trying...(someone elses car). I suppose that can be attributed to the final drive gearing.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:02   #10 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

I've driven many BA's before and I do agree that first gear is a little high. The drie-by-wire throttle makes it alot more responsive I have noticed. The engine has a better note aswell.

I don't agree that the interior feels cheap. Or not any cheaper than any other falcon. I LOVE the interior. I love the whole car. I am in love with the car, the seats are so comfortable and it handles superbly.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub