My theory on BA fuel economy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2002, 23:06   #1 (permalink)
400 kg ego

biggrin My theory on BA fuel economy

I was reading the Drive comparo discussed elsewhere on this forum today, and it struck me as odd that Ford has gone all-out for power in its base 'family' models at a time when fuel economy was already an area of Commodore strength, and with Ford desperately needing improved market share.

Another article in the same issue of the publication was about Geoff Polities saying that BA was not intended to overtake Commodore sales, due primarily to Ford lacking Holden's output at its factory.

Putting 2 and 2 together, I think I have worked out what Ford is up to. It is not aiming for a super-high-volume car this time around, but instead to heal the Falcon's damaged reputation. Overhearing the humbled voices of 185 kW '90s HSV drivers embarrassed by the BA XT on a Commodore forum, it struck me that BA exists solely to be a car that young people can find 'cool' and aspirational.

Families may continue to buy Commodores in huge numbers due to its apparently lower running costs and cheaper outright purchase price, but in the long-term, Ford will have made countless new fans. That means a solid future, and perhaps the possibility of more sensible de-tuned economy model once Falcon has built up some street cred.

Very clever. :s6:

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2002, 23:27   #2 (permalink)
Falcon to the bone

BA Fuel Economy

A sound theory.

Ford need an aspirational vehicle, I think they now have that with the BA. They needed to pull off something pretty special considering they turned their back on Australias youth in the mid 80s when they pulled out of motorsport and dropped the V8. Holden soldiered on and the VT was introduced when a lot of those enthusiasts from the 80s and 90s were ready to buy a $30000+ car.

Ford has intorduced, with the BA and car that turns the tables on Holden.

Another point to consider is the availability of a dedicated LPG Falcon. There is you entry level economy model. The dedicated LPG BA will put out 157kw to make it pretty much line ball with the Commodore and still have superior torque. I currently drive an AU2 LPG Falcon and despite a lack of power compared to a Petrol Falcon it behaves exactly like the rest of the Falcon range only incredibly cheap to run. Adelaide to Alice Springs $90.

Ford have scored on both counts, aspirational and economical.

Now a win at the mountain next month would just about guarantee glory for the mighty BA.
VBdreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 23:35   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Yeah I forgot about the LPG variant. If ever a car needs to be marketed to hell and back, that is it.

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Old 09-26-2002, 02:36   #4 (permalink)

The BA Falcon running on LPG produces something like 157kw. This is still more powerful than a V6 Commodore running on pretrol, which produces 152kw and 306Nm at 3600rpm. The BA on LPG produces more power and a shitload more torque at a lower range. I think max torque is achieved at 3250rpm in the Barra.
Holden is in for an ass kicking!
DK3300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 03:29   #5 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

That's right the Falcon E-gas has mroe power and torque than the Connodore V6.

Still should be noted that the new engine, although with 25kw more than it's predecessor, still has the same comparative fuel consumption, and this is in a heavier bodied car too.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 03:58   #6 (permalink)
2nd car....XR6turbo

Yeah thats what i am thinking. Instead of looking at it as oh your getting this and i'm getting that, look at how much power u have compared to the commi and how much more weight. To me, ford has done a magnificent job in keeping the fuel economy down and i applaud them for it. Also, i garuntee those journalists at every opportunity were revving the engine hard.

I have a question..................how much did holden pay the age to say the commodore has better handling??? i find this EXTREMELY hard to believe because the falcon has always outhandles the commodore, and holden deffinatly haven't done enough to change that. Media already trying to save commi's ass????
Old 09-26-2002, 04:15   #7 (permalink)

A Gulf War is just what we need if BA sales start to look positive... lol
falkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 04:38   #8 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Well the criticism of the petrol BA's fuel economy is not a thing of bias - the fact is that its competitor is not the AU III, but the VY.

I'm hoping Ford will do what Holden did with the original VT, and put effort into stripping out weight.

As for the Commodore handling better, maybe it too has something to do with the low weight. What Ford learned with cars like the XD and AU is that shaving weight has a whole heap of benefits...

Don't get me wrong - I greatly admire BA overall, but there are areas where improvement is still possible.

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub