My whinge: Quoting performance figures - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2004, 05:57   #1 (permalink)
.au member

My whinge: Quoting performance figures

You know what I get real sick of real quick? People who base their opinions and judgements of cars on whatever the motoring press dictates their times to be.
There is nothing worse than someone who just completely bags out a car for the sake of what badge it has on it, or whatever Wheels/Motor say it can do the quarter in.

For god's sake people, if you're going to start judging cars - drive the bloody things! Don't sit here and be an internet critic who has never driven the model yet feels quite justified in bagging the crap out of it. Yes we're all lovers of all things Blue Oval but that doesnt mean that we're all going to be damned to hell if we so much as look at another brand, or god forbid drive it.

Sorry for ranting, but honestly - its getting out of hand. The amount of arguments in here that come down to nothing more than number crunching and childish bagging is amazing.

If you're going to say something about a car, make sure you actually know what you're talking about - don't rely on times and times alone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2004, 05:58   #2 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Re: My whinge: Quoting performance figures

Nice rant. Agree totally.

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:11   #3 (permalink)

Spot on...
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:34   #4 (permalink)
EFing Quick!

I don't see what's wrong with quoting performance figures. It's not like the journos pull the numbers out of their rear end or anything. For the most part, Motor and Wheels are respectable enough for people to quote their times in discussions on whether car A or B is better. They certainly don't "dictate" their figures.

Since these figures are obtained OBJECTIVELY, then why can't people quote them as FACTS? Last time I looked, this is a forum for discussion! I don't think many people can afford a Correvit and hire out Avalon for a day, and the press doing these things to get these figures helps keep hoons from trying figure it out themselves on the road.

You should differentiate between people saying crap like "HOLDENS ARE SH*T LOLOLOL!!!1!" and people backing up their opinions with fact "XR6T is a better performance car than the XR8 because....."

1995 EF Futura - Crow stage 2 cam & adjustable gear, K&N cold air intake, AU XR intake snorkel, Advance stainless steel extractors, hi-flow cat converter, 2.5" pipe, 17" ROH RT shadow chrome mags, Pedders sports ryder suspension, DBA gold cross drilled/slotted rotors, lowered 1.5", camber kit, engine + starter immobiliser and microwave sensor security system.

Teh funnay is now linked here!
Beefchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:54   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefchief
I don't see what's wrong with quoting performance figures. It's not like the journos pull the numbers out of their rear end or anything. For the most part, Motor and Wheels are respectable enough for people to quote their times in discussions on whether car A or B is better. They certainly don't "dictate" their figures.

Since these figures are obtained OBJECTIVELY, then why can't people quote them as FACTS? Last time I looked, this is a forum for discussion! I don't think many people can afford a Correvit and hire out Avalon for a day, and the press doing these things to get these figures helps keep hoons from trying figure it out themselves on the road.

You should differentiate between people saying crap like "HOLDENS ARE SH*T LOLOLOL!!!1!" and people backing up their opinions with fact "XR6T is a better performance car than the XR8 because....."

Well i was going to write something simmilar but i cant do better than that. I agree 100%!! I do at times quote figures and i have driven everything from a new M3 to a new 200k Blown Jag 8 so i think assuming that anyone that points to figures has never driven a car is crap.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:05   #6 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

and just because these magazine test these cars, are the figures they give out 100% all of the time? do they have 50 different people put the same car down the quater to get an average time? the quater somewhat depends on the particular person doing it. if they say they can get a car down in 14 secs then whos to say thats the best time? maybe someone else could get it down quicker or even slower yet.
figures dont really mean much in most cases anyway.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:11   #7 (permalink)
Lyrical Mastermind

id definitely agree

"Hey, it compiles! Lets sell it" - What Microsoft probably says about all its products.

If what i'm saying isn't making any sense, im not drunk, im just like this all the time..............ok so maybe im drunk, but thats beside the point...
xf_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:13   #8 (permalink)
EFing Quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
and just because these magazine test these cars, are the figures they give out 100% all of the time? do they have 50 different people put the same car down the quater to get an average time? the quater somewhat depends on the particular person doing it. if they say they can get a car down in 14 secs then whos to say thats the best time? maybe someone else could get it down quicker or even slower yet.
figures dont really mean much in most cases anyway.
I would never say it was 100% accurate but is there a better way? I'd like to think these people who test cars know what they're doing and would be pretty close to getting the best possible time out of the car, and would give a fair indication on what an advanced driver would expect to achieve behind the wheel.
1995 EF Futura - Crow stage 2 cam & adjustable gear, K&N cold air intake, AU XR intake snorkel, Advance stainless steel extractors, hi-flow cat converter, 2.5" pipe, 17" ROH RT shadow chrome mags, Pedders sports ryder suspension, DBA gold cross drilled/slotted rotors, lowered 1.5", camber kit, engine + starter immobiliser and microwave sensor security system.

Teh funnay is now linked here!
Beefchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:15   #9 (permalink)
Mulberry Rain

The way I interpret it, is that not only does the performance of the same car for the 1/4 mile vary significantly on model, condition and enviroment, but those figures are not really indicative of whether a model is better or worse than the other....

thankfully, in most cases this dosnt seem matter, but it bugs me when people seem to think it does..
blueraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 19:55   #10 (permalink)
Ford Member

I agree that on different days at different tracks figures can vary quite a bit but when theres a direct comparo on the same day with around the same fuel,same persons in the car,same temperature,the drivers even swap cars and do multiple runs with start of the art correvits that are on the car and measure much more than the local drag strip ones, well thats about as close as you will ever get.

Of course there will always be conspiracy against it or someone will consider themselves a better driver or have a mate of a mate who is better.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub