NEED HELP!! on choosing my car! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 19:06   #1 (permalink)

NEED HELP!! on choosing my car!

Hi i have two cars to choose from that I going to buy.

They're Ford probes, but I can't choose.

What should I go for. Is the red one really that better that I should be paying more. If you ask me, they're the same.

1. 1996 FORD PROBE SU Hatch Private Cars For Sale in QLD - carsales.com.au

2. 1997 FORD PROBE SV Hatch Private Cars For Sale in QLD - carsales.com.au
Klaxon_Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 19:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: NEED HELP!! on choosing my car!

Can I get some people to please just have a quick look at them, and choose either the 96' or the 97.

and at the end of the choices, I'll count them all up and make my judgement. please
Old 02-11-2012, 20:03   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Have you looked at them personally? I like the way the red one looks best and has less kms. The color in the pictures makes the righr door look a little different color. Has any body work been done on them?
Old 02-11-2012, 21:03   #4 (permalink)

They're both fine.
Never been in an accident, i got the vehicle history.

I'm getting the red for $6,000
and the purple for $2,400

red is cooler
purple is cheaper

I don't know aye.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:25   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Red has 63,000 less kms , has better exhaust system and wheels and a current Roadworthy Certificate and better looking car . No Roadworthy certificate on purple car , you dont know how much needed to get it passed , higher kms, seats look different and in a bit of a state ( or is it seat covers hiding something underneath ? ) . From picture the exhaust tail pipes look black inside and with those speakers in the boot gives an idea of previous owner .No contest , red wins . Try and get the price down a bit and get it checked out / road tested before you commit to sale
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:41   #6 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

You'll need to check the service history for both. The engine is sensitive to oil changes & types of oil; always synthetics for us. Timing belts need to have been done at approx 120,000km. Clutches at 150,000km are typical.
It's great they haven't been in a accident but the usual vehicle check apply for rust & wear.
A tow bar on a Probe has never sat well with me & we owned a 1997 until last year. Gear changes need to be checked for positive movement and grinding.
Brake callipers seizing at the rear are common but mechanic parts are interchangeable with MX6, 626 & Telstar.
Old 02-16-2012, 21:41   #7 (permalink)

Kbb.com says the red one in excellent condition is worth only a little over $2000 and only about 3% of cars are in that condition. Fair to good is most likely. Very good condition is a stretch for most cars I have seen used. They rank the car as only worth about $3600 if it looks brand new, in excellent condition from a dealer.
Also run a search on it from carcomplaints.com and see what kinds of problems others have had with the car.
Your zip code may show different results, but $6000 for a 1997 vehicle sounds a little bit steep in my book. I recently bought a 2000 Chevy Malibu for $1200 (on payments from a dealer) and a 1998 Taurus for $1100(cash...and they threw in the parts for a tune-up). Both in very good condition according to kbb.com with over 5 years' worth of signed and verified service records and both over 100,000 miles with clean titles.
My advice: Do some research and look into past and present problems and actual costs...and NEVER pay asking price.
Good luck and keep us posted.
tonyb1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub