From The Canberra Times
This is similar to the "story" on Today Tonight the other night.
WELL-ORGANISED groups of illegal street racers are using public roads including the Barton Highway and Canberra's landmark Anzac Parade to take each other on and push their cars to speeds of more than 200km/h.
They use mobile phone calls, decoys and lookouts to prevent being apprehended by police but are still prepared to risk losing their licence, car, and perhaps their lives, to achieve the adrenalin rush.
Late on Friday night pairs of cars were racing along Anzac Parade - the nation's boulevard to honour the war dead - with this pictured Torana driver claiming to have reached a top speed of 180km/h.
Another speeding ute narrowly missed colliding with a car which was trying to cross Anzac Parade.
''People want to go as fast as their car will take them,'' the Torana driver said. ''Some will go 140, some 220 [km/h], it just depends on the car.''
The Monaro Highway, Hindmarsh Drive and Dairy Flat Road are also used as racing strips.
''Basically anywhere there's a straight road, you race,'' another driver said.
Canberra dragway supporters argue that illegal street racing will continue to be a problem until there is a local dragway.
Canberra International Dragway manager Geoff Develin said the ACT Government's announcement on Wednesday that it would not be funding a dragway in this year's Budget was a grave mistake.
''The simple evidence available is that there has been a significant increase in illegal activity since the closure of the dragway [in 1998],'' Mr Develin said.
ACT Treasurer Ted Quinlan said building a $6.2 million dragway would not stop illegal street racing because he believed the drivers enjoyed the ''thrill of breaking the rules''. He didn't doubt some illegal racers might shift to the dragway but suspected most wanted to show off and rebel in a public place.
However, the Australian Federal Police Association does believes a dragway will help to reduce street racing.
AFPA chief executive officer Laurie Hutchison last year wrote to then sport and recreation minister Bill Stefaniak, saying its members ''fully supported'' the introduction of a dragway in the ACT.
The police had from 1994 until the dragway closed, operated Project Drivewise taking young drivers to the dragway where they had supervised races ''in an effort to reduce the incidence of drag racing on public streets'', Mr Hutchison wrote.
AFPA spokesman Dave Boston confirmed yesterday that was still the association's position.
The Australian Federal Police would not comment about the street racing.