Need opinions from fellow ford drivers! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 15:21   #1 (permalink)

Need opinions from fellow ford drivers!

Hey guys, First off my names Theron, I drive a 2004 ford focus ztw with 118,000 miles.

I got the car from my dad last year, Some background info since I got it-

Couple months ago I was out getting my friends birthday gift, and it was absolutely pouring out, Got the gift, It stopped raining and I was heading home, While on the connector going 30-35, I started to hydroplane, got control for a moment and then right after hydroplaned downhill onto the highway and towards the gaurd rail, I was able to gain control after a 360, and turn quickly to avoid going head first into the gaurd rail and hit it sideways. As a result, whole left side of my car was dented, under the back left door it went under, cracked tail lights, killed a wheel, and dented a 2 inch area of my hood up. Repairs cost me a total of 2500 for the new hood, fender, undenting of the door + full paint job and new light and 150 for new all year tire + repair of other one. I got it painted black vs the old teal color it used to me. idk why my dad picked teal... So 2 weeks later battery died when I was at school, Of course it was a voting day and i forgot and a cop asked me to move to the other parking lot cuz of voters and my car wouldnt start <3 He wasnt to happy. That cost me another 115.00.

Since then My cars been doing good, got a flat tire from a screw but it was a quick 15.00 repair.

Now that you know the background on the car heres where i need opinions.

I was planning to buy a new car, but my parents dont want me to because I am going off to college after next year, and colleges usually dont let you have a car your freshman year, so it would end up sitting around at home the majority of the time, wasting my money. So they want me to deal with it. However my mom offered to trade me her-
2001 ford escape (blue), 75,000 miles. Great condition.

So what do you guys think?

Should I trade my 2004 ford focus ztw w/ 118,000 for my moms 2001 ford escape with 75,000?

The ford focus feels smoother to drive and definitely is faster.

I like the high up feeling from the escape plus it has significantly less miles.

Second thing i need opinion on-

If I keep the focus what can I do to improve the look/performance? I was thinking tinting the windows, maybe dishing out the cash for some black rims, maybe a hood vent. What else can I do thats not too expensive and Looks nice or performs nice.

If I get the 2001 escape I'm thinking, paint it full black (300-400), windows tinted (125.00), Need head unit/thing that holds it forget the name (125), Maybe black rims, see how it looks then. Any other ideas?

Any opinions you guys have on the situation are appreciated, its been a very tough decision to make haha, I have 2 months before I pick my car. I do have a job and I'm making roughly 400-500 a month by the way.

Thanksss
donovan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 15:42   #2 (permalink)
EMPOWERED USER

Re: Need opinions from fellow ford drivers!

Well, thats a tough nut to crack! i work in the repair industry and i do have to say that they both have thier issues, however i belive that the maintenence on the escape would be less in the long run. good luck on picking one!!
71LTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 16:49   #3 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: Need opinions from fellow ford drivers!

I'm not sure if it is important to you but I'm guessing the Escape will use more fuel than the Focus but may have other advantages with extra room. It is a tough one but it may simply come down to driving around in the escape for a period and see if you like to drive it more than the Focus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub