It nevers ends! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2004, 03:38   #1 (permalink)
Vroom vroom

frown It nevers ends!

Damn car.
After replacing the water pump, power steering pump, distributor, coil, plugs, battery and all hoses about 3 weeks ago, and converting to multi-point, my car was finally back in shape after my bingle. Couple of niggling issues to still work out, but nothing major.
Last weekend on the way home the car decided to overheat, pulled over, turns out the water pump pulley had worked it's way loose and slipped off, totally stuffing the belt in the process.
So, 2 trips to bunnings and 1 to autobarn later, it was back on the road but running really hot.
Decided I am gonna replace the radiator (it's bent and there is a small leak which bars leaks stopped up) and gonna do the thermostat and all gaskets in that area at the same time. Turns out EF V8 rad will fit, but bottom radiator hose fitting IS too small! So new EA one.
Monday morning comes around, and the car wouldn't start. Flat battery (which is only 3 weeks old!) Bought a new battery charger, there is a drain on the battery which I *thought* was related to the way the BCM was wired up.
Car was ok-ish all week (haven't left the battery connected overnight but) until it wouldn't start after work. Had one of my colleagues (qualified auto-elec) check it out, turns out the alternator is buggered, it's drawing current when stationery.
So, I've gotta put a new alternator in now.
The bad thing about all this? Not much really, except for the $$$, and it means putting off things like lowering + exhaust.
Good thing? Virtually every engine accessory except a/c compressor and starter motor are new. The new alternator allows me to get a (slightly) higher output one which will be a benefit given all the additional electrics in the car.
Gonna try and find a decent EB/ED bootlid next week and have that painted when I paint the bonnet and mirrors.
I will soon really have a car to be proud of.
NC Ghia interior (except rear trims)
Fairmont audio (with 4 speakers)
Cruise control
S-pac cluster with white dials
Trip computer and Fairmont interior lighting.
Half wired Ghia BCM.
spope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2004, 03:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: It nevers ends!

This is Sundeep; why don't you be a sick **** and buy my Serpentine Belt Conversion, top to bottom for like $130 I think it was. The alternator will set you back like $100, but I have a EA one of them as well.

Let me know.

Sundeep
Old 09-03-2004, 03:52   #3 (permalink)

Mate if your car didn't break down, what would you have to do on the weekends?
youngNstupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 05:34   #4 (permalink)

atleast once its fixed its fixed :)
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 19:54   #5 (permalink)
Formerly: SmokeEA

Sorry to hear mate. I know how u feel. I bought my EB and it had a faulty alternator, took it back to dealer because they hadnt fitted the AC belt like they were supposed to, anyway, they replaced the alt belt when the did. Kept getting mega squeal until the belt snapped off, turned out ALT was cactus, so some great sum of $$$ later and 4 belts, 2 racv visits, bottle of coolant and a freezing nite on Sprinvale road, my car is good again.

Just hang in there, youll be right.
Old 09-03-2004, 20:02   #6 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Eyy you know how long cars will go for with out a working alternator? I found out last night! I also became a member of RACV :s5
Old 09-03-2004, 20:20   #7 (permalink)
Vroom vroom

And they whacked you with that extra joining fee too, yeah?

The funny thing is it doesn't really bother me all that much, you know? I don't have anybody to be annoyed at, cause I've done most of the work myself, and I've been fortunate not to have to pay retail for anything (except one water pump belt)
The alternator works, it's just got sticky brushes, apparently. Soaking in P/S fluid can't have done it any good. Temp fix is to disconnect the alternator every time I stop the car. It's still recharging when I drive.
Oh, and I've also discovered how good exide batteries are.
NC Ghia interior (except rear trims)
Fairmont audio (with 4 speakers)
Cruise control
S-pac cluster with white dials
Trip computer and Fairmont interior lighting.
Half wired Ghia BCM.
spope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 21:15   #8 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

yeah $170 to join, dont even know if it was extra for the call out. I guess I had to join sometime, its one of those things if your a member you'll probabnly never need them, if not you will! I got an EL Alt to go in it anyway.
Old 09-03-2004, 21:22   #9 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

RACV membership isn't worth the paper its written on!

When my sump got pierced by a piece of unidentified metal that came flying out of a trailer RACB left me stranded as appartently I had an accident! BS I had an accident, my car broke down and I had to pay $60 or a 10 minute tow to my house! Not impressed. I was a full "member" too...$150 odd down the drain there :/

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub