New Job, more money - new car or not? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2004, 01:24   #1 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

New Job, more money - new car or not?

Ok, after working fulltime for 3 months after graduating from uni and getting paid sweet eff all above $33K I have moved to a new job in which I start on 41K and in 3 months will earn over $50K a year.

What sort of car should I buy bearing in mind I still live at home! Brand spanka XR6 Tubro, WRX, VYSS, XR8, 200SX, I just can't decide?!!

Please lay some suggestions down for me and if ya could how much I would be looking at a week to pay on back.

Thanks fellas!
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2004, 01:51   #2 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: New Job, more money - new car or not?

I cant tell you what car to get but I'll give you a tip that has worked well for me. Only ever spend on a car half the gross amount you earn a year. So if your on $50K then buy a $25K car. That way you will never get into dollar trouble. Once you have a house and all the other crap then the rules change, but for when I was young it was some of the best advice I ever got. Even today I still try to stick to it.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:55   #3 (permalink)
freelance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94ED_Fairmont
What sort of car should I buy bearing in mind I still live at home! Brand spanka XR6 Tubro, WRX, VYSS, XR8, 200SX, I just can't decide?!!
Get a BA your wont go wrong! pick your dealer carefully!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTS220
Get a bloody euro car, something small and fast!
Get a life XTS220!!! - This is a Ford Forum!!! Honestly if you carry on at your dealer anything like you carry on in your forum rant its no wonder they have you in their ignore file. Routine service costs will soon put any decent performance euro way out of reach of a $50K salary. I dont mean to be rude but an getting annoyed at your constant sniping at the BA.

Congrads on the promotion 94ED, good things come to those who wait. Buy the XR8 and pop the Herrod/Capa blower on it a little later, very economical horsepower.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:58   #4 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

Quote:
What sort of car should I buy bearing in mind I STILL LIVE AT HOME! Brand spanka XR6 Tubro, WRX, VYSS, XR8, 200SX, I just can't decide?!!
Forget the car mate, get yourself a property/house. I know I sound like an old fart but you will thank me in 10 years, or less , seriously, give a good thinking.
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:59   #5 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Yeah I feel that even though i could stretch the budget to $45K for a car with some savings and trad in, I would be happier in something cheaper. Probably cause it can do the job just as wella s a new car and cost a whole lot less.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:00   #6 (permalink)

I don't know what car you should buy but more importantly congrates on your uni degree and the new job, nice package to start with too. You've earnt it. I know it's hard advice to swallow but don't blow too much on the new car, i think Casper's advice rings true. I had my first new car for 11months, then got the shits with the repayments.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:10   #7 (permalink)
P1mp Daddy

Congrats mate!

Buy your first house and pay it off whilst living at home... rent it out to someone.

After that, you can use that capital to borrow money for houses and cars... its sweet.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:28   #8 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

What XXXR8 and bigred said ^^^^^^

Get a house, doesn't have to be a mansion.. study the market and pick somewhere with solid growth and rental rates but still affordable. It will set you up for life! I am only now finding this out a year after buying my first house... I wish I had done it years ago!!

The car can wait - and believe me, with decent equity you will afford a MUCH nicer car than you could on a bog standard lease or loan. Be smart with your money and you will be able to enjoy much much more of it down the track.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:24   #9 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Get a second hand car. Because by the time the XR8 etc gets paid off, (or you experience a lack of social life), its not going to be worth much more than half you paid for it.

Im in the same situation as you actually, Im going to save up for the next two years though then get something which is a relatively new second hand car, something maybe ex government with about 30 or 40K on it.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:55   #10 (permalink)
Now With 9 inch LSD Diff

Quote:
Ok, after working fulltime for 3 months after graduating from uni and getting paid sweet eff all above $33K I have moved to a new job in which I start on 41K and in 3 months will earn over $50K a year.

Please lay some suggestions down for me and if ya could how much I would be looking at a week to pay on back.

Thanks fellas!
hi i can't tell you what to buy as i'm only young but just curious as to what career you are in because the money seems quite good!
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub