New Laser gets the Nod!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2001, 07:00   #1 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

Thumbs up New Laser gets the Nod!!!

Looks as though Ford have got a winner in the new laser.

This is good news...

Quote:
Ford will sell more than 1700 Laser LXi's to Hertz in a $34 million deal that will see the recently upgraded car become one of the major small cars in the rental company's line-up. "This is a fantastic result for both Ford and Hertz," said Ford National Manager of Fleet Sales Operations, Mr Finbarr O'Connor.

"Recent enhancements to the Laser brand have improved its look, safety and driving dynamics all of which are benefits Hertz rental customers will appreciate.

"From Ford's perspective, it's a great vote of confidence in the new range, especially as Laser replaces Pulsar and Corolla in the Hertz line-up."

The six-month contract takes effect from July 1 and runs through until December 31. During this time, 1730 Laser LXi's will be added to the Hertz range.

Managing Director of Hertz, Mr James Bowyer, is also pleased with the new contract.

"The new Laser is a great addition to our extensive vehicle line-up. We're positive that our customers will be happy with the decision we've made to bring this car on board."

The contract with Hertz follows a strong new marketing campaign for Laser and reflects increased demand in the private sector.

"Ford has been actively repositioning Laser not just in the private retail sector but also in the government and national fleet arenas," said Mr O'Connor.

"A combination of strong resale value and low operating costs result in Laser customers benefiting from a highly competitive whole-of-life cost. This is reflected in the new contract with Hertz and we're looking forward to expanding on this success."
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2001, 07:14   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

Beuty. Laser is now the best looking car in its class IMO i havent driven one though but the seats felt comfortable at the motor show and the interior looked good too. Great to see Ford getting some results with it again.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 07:30   #3 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

Sorry to be critical about the news but to me its like selling a car to yourself, real easy but not very profitable.

Ford bought a stake in Hertz back in late 87 for almost two billion dollars and have stuffed around with the company selling 18% and then buying it back again in March this year.

But its not a bad thing though. It just wouldn't have been the hardest deal to present to Hertz.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 07:40   #4 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

The uni security fleet has started to be upgraded from Astras to Lasers...
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 14:26   #5 (permalink)

Unless Ford has mucked around with the set up of the Laser, they would be a very nice car to drive. Even the 1.6L is a decent little engine while the 1.8L is a ripper. And the best bit is they are put together properly by Mazda in Japan. The 2.0L would be a bit of a rocket I think.
Old 05-30-2001, 14:33   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RPO83
Sorry to be critical about the news but to me its like selling a car to yourself, real easy but not very profitable.

Ford bought a stake in Hertz back in late 87 for almost two billion dollars and have stuffed around with the company selling 18% and then buying it back again in March this year.

But its not a bad thing though. It just wouldn't have been the hardest deal to present to Hertz.
I kind of agree. Our company does the same thing with selling products to companies we actually own. Guess it is the bottom line!
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 15:57   #7 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

I used to own a 99 Laser 1.6 Auto. But I was very dissapointed with it.
IT WAS GUTLESS. mostly thanks to the Auto. It also developed a very large number of rattles & squeaks which in the end drove me to trading it on a AUII falcon.

I have since driven (For work) the revised KQ Laser. 1.6 Manual. It is very nice. MUCH quicker than the manual.

Mazda does have a very good build quality, and the cars are put together very well. However some attention needs to be put to NVH. Lots of rattles, Lots of road noise.

1.8L and 2.0L both go like a rocket. great cars.
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 16:00   #8 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jaytyn

I have since driven (For work) the revised KQ Laser. 1.6 Manual. It is very nice. MUCH quicker than the manual.
Whoops, manual manual........
That probably be Manual Auto shouldnt it?
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 20:37   #9 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

whoops. Yes DK was right, the Manual feels quicker than the AUTO

jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 23:27   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jaytyn
I used to own a 99 Laser 1.6 Auto. But I was very dissapointed with it.
IT WAS GUTLESS. mostly thanks to the Auto. It also developed a very large number of rattles & squeaks which in the end drove me to trading it on a AUII falcon.

Mazda does have a very good build quality, and the cars are put together very well. However some attention needs to be put to NVH. Lots of rattles, Lots of road noise.

1.8L and 2.0L both go like a rocket. great cars.
Friend of mine that does my body work has a laser for his wife. He is always complaining about the noise level for rear seat passengers
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub