New safety standards for bullbars - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2002, 21:42   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up New safety standards for bullbars

From drive.com.au

New standard takes bullbars by the horns
By Peter Williams
smh.com.au
Tuesday September 24 2002

Design changes are on the way to make vehicle bullbars less of a danger to pedestrians.
Safety standards requiring more pedestrian-friendly bullbars were introduced today following pressure from safety advocates and governments.

The new standard recommends bull bars follow the contours of the vehicle rather than jutting out and that dangerous projections like fishing rod holders not be located where they can come into contact with pedestrians.

While the new standard is voluntary, most makers of bullbars are expected to comply.

The Pedestrian Council of Australia called for the standard to be made compulsory within three years, estimating bullbars were responsible for up to 20 percent of pedestrian accidents.
How the f**k are bullbars responsible for pedestrian accidents? This quote belongs in the thread "What Do They Teach at School?"! Do they jump off the front of the vehicles and chase them around until they catch them? I would suggest that a large percentage of pedestrians would be responsible for pedestrian "accidents" by not paying attention and walking in front of moving vehicles.

"This standard must be prospectively regulated, like gun laws, seat-belt laws and environmental laws," the council's Harold Scruby said.

Groups representing bullbar makers pledged to follow the voluntary rules, released yesterday by Standards Australia.

"Dangerous metal bull bars have been around for too long and the new standard will make them accountable to pedestrians," said Gary Retallick of the Association of Rotational Moulders Australasia.

The Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association's John Forsyth said: "The standard will make sure that bullbars are safer for all road users."

John Henry of Standards Australia said bullbar makers had accepted and signed off on the standard, which is to be phased in from next year.

"Now I don't say that every one of their members is 100 percent overjoyed with that," he said.

But he warned: "In this increasingly litigious age I think anyone who thumbs their nose at the only benchmark for bullbar safety, I think they're treading on fairly dangerous ground."

Mr Forsyth said the adoption of safer bullbars would be up to vehicle owners, although he expected state road authorities to regulate now the standard had been published.

"The market will decide how important it is and I believe the market will call for manufacturers to meet the standard."

He conceded that a small section of the industry that made "aggressive" bullbars might ignore the document.

As well as having a new design, bullbars will also need to meet strict impact criteria in simulated accidents.

"We expect this will lead to a new range of safer products coming onto the market that are better designed and employ more pedestrian-friendly materials," Mr Henry said.

The standard does not specify what materials should be used.

The Australian Transport Council of state ministers last month called for a quick finalisation of the bullbar standard.

Motorists' associations have welcomed its introduction.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2002, 23:53   #2 (permalink)

Big question is....will these new designs protect your car from hitting a roo? Maybe these designs will be safer if you sconed a stupid moron who's walking infront of you...excuse my critisim, but they are morons....but to protect the actual car, is what they were designed for in the first place.

I'm not having a dig at you Falchoon, I'm just making a point on this one.

http://www.hoon.tk
Ford XE Green n Gold 4.1L IL6 Nitrous Assisted. Best time to date: 14.338 @ 98MPH
Mazda 626 Faded Blue 2L IL4 NA Diesel!
Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 01:04   #3 (permalink)
Crikey

You don't need bull bars in the city! No matter what design they cause injury and excessive damage in situations where they are not warranted. Ban the lot of 'em IMO.

A country registered vehicle could be a different story.
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 16:43   #4 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

Quote:
Originally posted by Blurter
You don't need bull bars in the city! No matter what design they cause injury and excessive damage in situations where they are not warranted. Ban the lot of 'em IMO.

A country registered vehicle could be a different story.
so if i have my country registered car( complete with pedestrian killing roo bar) i can't drive in the city.
what is the definition of a city. is it a population thing or area thing. mt isa is the biggest city in australia in area, but 1 of the smallest in population.

bah, i hate city versus country arguments.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 17:33   #5 (permalink)
Crikey

Nak my post was not meant to be a city vs country arguement.

Its an arguement about inappropriateness of things on vehicles that are city (and I mean capital city) registered. I just can't understand why any one driving in the city needs a bull bar, other than to intimadate other road users perhaps.

I take my city car to the country and expect whatever the bush throws up at me, including kangaroos, but that is maybe two to three times a year. Yes its a risk that I might meet a roo, but I don't need a bull bar for the rest of the year just to minimise that risk based on frequency.

Of course I realise that people like caravaners, inland fisherman etc may spend more time in the bush and can therefore justify having one, but I don't count these people amongst the wallys that fit bull bars to their city vehicles and only see kangaroos at the zoo.

You bring your country vehicle to a capital city also on an infrequent basis (I'm assuming). You don't need a bull bar to do that but for the majority of the year when you are driving in the country you may do. Fair enough, you are only visitng the capital city.

Hence my statement that country registered vehicles, even those registered in cities like Mt Isa, Wagga Wagga or Cairns may have justification to have a bull bar fitted due to the proximity and regularity of country driving.

I would be interested to see how many people would fit a bull bar to a capital city registered vehicle if there was some kind of cost penalty involved.
Old 09-24-2002, 17:44   #6 (permalink)

There was a segment on ACA or Today Tonight a while back where they had a vehicle (can't recall what type) fitted with a conventional style bull bar and another one with a plastic bull bar and they tested them both by running into plastic 44 gallon drums full of water and the car with plastic bull bar received the least amount of damage.

It would be very hard to enforce a rule that vehicles registered in a capital city for example shouldn't have bull bars. I live in Canberra and we have several Landcruisers for work that have bull bars. The vehicles are driven mostly on fieldwork to remote areas of the country. But sometimes when there are no other vehicles available we use them to drive around and pick stuff up around town. Lots of other people would be in a similar situation where the vehicle is used on a regular basis off road or in remote areas but they happen to live in the city.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 18:12   #7 (permalink)
Crikey

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon

It would be very hard to enforce a rule that vehicles registered in a capital city for example shouldn't have bull bars. I live in Canberra and we have several Landcruisers for work that have bull bars. The vehicles are driven mostly on fieldwork to remote areas of the country. But sometimes when there are no other vehicles available we use them to drive around and pick stuff up around town. Lots of other people would be in a similar situation where the vehicle is used on a regular basis off road or in remote areas but they happen to live in the city.
Falchoon if you read my post you will see that I agree with you. There will always be capital city registered vehicles where bull bars can be justified be it for recreational or work reasons. Its the other 99.9% of capital city living wallys that I am voicing an opinion about.
Old 09-24-2002, 22:38   #8 (permalink)

eek

Harold Scruby and his kind need to come out of the Big Smoke and take a look at rest of the country. In other words they need a reality check bigtime. We have far too many self interest/lobby groups,who the hell needs a Pedestrian Council. I believe he does'nt even have a drivers licence so where does he get off forcing his ideals on others. Really I put the Ped. Council in the same category as the Save the Gay Whale and other similar groups. It's people like this that if we give them more creedence than they deserve will eventually have us in vehicles that would'nt pull the skin off a rice pudding. IMO
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub