New TAC Radio Campaign - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2003, 19:43   #1 (permalink)
AKA: Spaniard

New TAC Radio Campaign

Has anybody heard the new radio campaign from the TAC? I'll explain the advert.

You hear the police siren (bwoop bwoop) then the footsteps of an officer approaching you. Then he says something like "Do you realise how fast you were going?" then you hear in a childs voice "Oh, my foot slipped", "I didn't even notice", "I wasn't concentrating", "I wasn't going THAT fast was I?". After that a male voices over and says "Your excuses are starting to sound childish. Wipe off 5"

When I heard this last night, I was like "Childish!? Speaking about childish, tell me where does all the money you get from fines go? You're response will be just as childish as the person the men in blue you just pulled over!"

Has anyone else heard this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2003, 19:45   #2 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Those ads are at least 6 months old.

Another waste of $$$$$
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 19:49   #3 (permalink)

Re: New TAC Radio Campaign

I heard it for the first time last night & I listen to the radio heaps when I'm driving!
Old 07-23-2003, 20:09   #4 (permalink)
3FB's Peter Pan!!!

Id be laughing at this one all the way, how much credibility can an organisation have after they refuse to pull a blatantly misleading ad (ie the TV one on the other thread). As much as I hate to say it: drive on...and change channels when you hear this one lol :)
Old 07-23-2003, 20:36   #5 (permalink)

Here's a few things most people don't know about the The Transport Accident Commission (TAC)

What it is supposed to do/be:

The TAC is a Victorian Government-owned organisation set up in 1986.

Its role is to pay for treatment and benefits for people injured in transport accidents. It is also involved in promoting road safety in Victoria and in improving Victoria's trauma system.

Funding used by the TAC to perform these functions comes from payments made by Victorian motorists when they register their vehicles each year with VicRoads.

The TAC is a "no-fault" scheme. This means that medical benefits will be paid to an injured person - regardless of who caused the accident.

Legislation guides the TAC in the types of benefits it can pay and any conditions that apply. This legislation is called the Transport Accident Act 1986.

To ensure it remains a long-term compensation scheme, the TAC uses its funds fairly and responsibly. This ensures the TAC is able to meet the needs of seriously injured people who need lifetime care.

Just the facts....

TAC gets all its funds from VIC car rego

TAC buy all the lasers and speed cameras for the VIC Police.
TAC spend millions ($35M+) on deceptive TV adverts
TAC funds MUARC for baseline and specific projects (for research that can be used to justify its programs)
TAC sponsors a footballs team (Collingwood)
TAC pay Eddie McGuire to be an "ambassador for the cause" this explains his attitude when Sam Newman had a crack on the National Driving Test show.
Some of the money that is left over goes to road accident victims (the call them clients) like Rachel Roberts who are then exploited in more adverts to support revenue raising.
TAC quote RARU studies about 5km/h over etc - perhaps they helped pay for that study too?
TAC say 45m, RTA say 37.7m, to stop from 60km/h

http://www.tacsafety.com.au/jsp/cont...ull&pageID=211
9krpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 02:46   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

Quote:
TAC say 45m, RTA say 37.7m, to stop from 60km/h
and i say thats bullshit :D

maybe not if its mavis and berryl on their way to bowling in their busted-ass torana that hasnt been touched since 1983, but any decent modern car should be able to manage better than that...i might measure my cars stopping distance one time just to see...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 03:20   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

Careful Rollin- You might get into trouble for "hooning"
HO HO HO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 05:09   #8 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

I did a test in my car (stock brakes and lowered).

I sped up to 80kmh before an intersection and hit the brake when I hit the solid white line leading up to the intersection.

I managed to pull up in roughly 3-4 car lengths, with plenty of room before the intersection.

Now where they get 45m and 37.7m from i dunno

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 15:23   #9 (permalink)

I think that they made some sort of an allowance for !diots that don't know how to drive. On that commercial in Victoria with the AUs battling to stop, they seems to be taking ages to stop. Must have been pressing the brake pedal half way!
Old 07-24-2003, 19:58   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Now where they get 45m and 37.7m from i dunno
The 45m is made up of 25m (reaction distance - i.e. 1.5 seconds of sleeping) plus 20m of actual braking at only 0.7g (see the tacsafety URL)

A normal alert driver in a decent car will actually do
0.5s reaction, 0.85g which brings the total down to 25m

They exaggerate both factors, but especially the reaction time so that the difference between 50 and 60km/h stopping distances looks significant, and hence they can justify their penchant for lowering speed limits and tight enforcement.

Oh and by the way, using the above "good driver" figures you can actually stop from 95km/h in under 45m So I guess using their logic, braking distance is the be all, end all we should be able to do at least 90 as long as we stay alert :-)

http://www.geocities.com/qldspeed/
9krpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub