New Viper - 0-400m in 11.8sec - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2001, 18:34   #1 (permalink)

New Viper - 0-400m in 11.8sec

From Drive
Quote:
For sore eyes only
First Published: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 By CHRIS GABLE
Chrysler has started taking orders in the US for the even-more-brutal Competition Coupe version
of its Dodge Viper ... but only experienced race
drivers need apply.
For now, Chrysler is releasing only estimates of the Viper Competition Coupe's power, torque and performance. However, those estimates are a sight
for sore eyes to anyone with even a passing interest in potent cars.
Try around 390kW and 730Nm from the 8.3-litre aluminium V10. Then focus on 0-100km/h acceleration in about 3.9 seconds, 0-160km/h in 9.2sec and 0-400m in 11.8sec. At the end of the 400m, the thing is said to reach almost
200km/h. Top speed is 309km/h.
Because it is a race-only model that can't be street registered, braking capability is equally impressive. From 100km/h the Viper Competition Coupe is said to stop in just 27 metres. Lateral acceleration is 1.25g.
The car comes with full racing exhaust system, fuel cell, lexan rear window and wind tunnel-toned aerodynamics, including rear wing, front splitter, rear diffuser and partial underway.
Chrysler says it will build only about 25 Competition Coupes a year, and would-be buyers have been asked to stump up a certified deposit of
$US20,000 ($A38,755) towards the $US100,000 ($A193,780) full ticket.
Production doesn't even start until late next year.
To join the queue, prospective buyers must also show evidence of intent to actually race the car, along with their current racing licenses.
The Competition Coupe isn't intended to replace the three-time Le Mans GTS Class-winning Viper GTS-R, and Chrysler says it is instead a grass roots-level race car based on the underpinnings of the 2003 Dodge Viper Convertible.
However, standard equipment in this particular Viper includes a full roll cage, window net, fire-suppression system, six-point harness, differential cooler and ducted brakes.
The Competition Coupe was officially unveiled in August, this year.
"It's no exaggeration to say customers began lining up the minute we pulled the cover off the new Viper Competition Coupe," said Jim Julow, Vice
President, Dodge Global Brand Centre. "We received an immediate response among the Viper owners and grass roots racers.
"When we introduced the new 2003 Viper Convertible, they [owners and racers] were the ones who asked for a version that they could race
competitively on the weekends."

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2001, 18:36   #2 (permalink)
gone

Re: New Viper - 0-400m in 11.8sec

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon
Well thats the second time I have seen this pic, must be an omen!!!

Time to sell the xr and get into a real car!!!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 19:23   #3 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Tongue

Pffft. I laugh at your silly Competition Viper. I unclog my nose and wave my private parts at it.

Let me show you a Viper of truly epic proportions and this one is fully street legal in the US.

Drag racers & corner carvers - I present to you the Hennessey 800 Viper GTS. With twin hairdryers bolted on to a worked 8.0L V10 this machine pumps out 833hp and 902 lb-ft of torque. That's some serious bitumen burning power there friends. On street tyres it managed a 10.71 at the hands of Motor Trend magazine and when they put DOT approved ET 'cheater slicks they managed to crack a 9.99!

Here's the link for the full story.

http://www.motortrend.com/june01/ttviper/ttviper_f.html
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 19:28   #4 (permalink)
Jaguar X-Type

Just imagining a XR8 with that much booty.... anyone got any ideas on how much you'd be able to stroke the new 5.4 DOHC unit ? Could you get as much as 6.75L out of it ?

Cause IMHO, 390kw is a waste in such a but ugly car
SnaggS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 19:35   #5 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Read

I may be a Ford fan first and foremost and this may be a Ford forum but damn! the Viper is pure horn. I think you need to re-evaluate your perspective on Viper styling because its got way better curves than that ho-hum, plain jane, dull as dishwater known as the NSX for example.

Of course that's just my opinion and
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 19:47   #6 (permalink)
gone

Quote:
Originally posted by anakha
Pffft. I laugh at your silly Competition Viper. I unclog my nose and wave my private parts at it.

Let me show you a Viper of truly epic proportions and this one is fully street legal in the US.

Drag racers & corner carvers - I present to you the Hennessey 800 Viper GTS. With twin hairdryers bolted on to a worked 8.0L V10 this machine pumps out 833hp and 902 lb-ft of torque. That's some serious bitumen burning power there friends. On street tyres it managed a 10.71 at the hands of Motor Trend magazine and when they put DOT approved ET 'cheater slicks they managed to crack a 9.99!

Here's the link for the full story.

http://www.motortrend.com/june01/ttviper/ttviper_f.html
Im in love!!!! but alas no money!

Time to sell my body!!!

Thanks
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 19:54   #7 (permalink)
Jaguar X-Type

Quote:
Originally posted by anakha
the Viper is pure horn. I think you need to re-evaluate your perspective on Viper styling because its got way better curves than that ho-hum, plain jane, dull as dishwater known as the NSX for example.
Its got shocking proportions, the cabin looks like some fat chick sat on the roof... overall it looks like a giant dildo ;p But then again... if your a E-Type kind of person your bound to like it.
SnaggS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 20:48   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Which italian said about american cars "They are fast trucks however they are not cars."

Still I would have a TVR Speed 12 over a Viper..

Something about a V12 with 48 Valves DOHC per bank in a body of simular weight of a MX5.. Displacing the same 8L...

I belive its good for ~800Hp before you start bolting on the turbos...
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 20:56   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

And if you thought the viper was fast and quick try on a top Speed of 240Mph! (385kmph).. 0-200kmph is I belive as fast as you can get traction..

http://www.supercars.net/images-smal...speed_12-1.gif

Still it doesn't come with abs or power steering or traction control.. Computers are too smart to attach themselves to that thing..
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 21:46   #10 (permalink)

Re: Re: New Viper - 0-400m in 11.8sec

Quote:
Originally posted by laminge

Well thats the second time I have seen this pic, must be an omen!!!

Time to sell the xr and get into a real car!!!
I have organised to have that picture emailed to you every morning:D :D :D
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub