New Wheels mag - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2002, 17:40   #1 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

Smile New Wheels mag

I got my copy of Wheels magazine today and it's pretty good.
It talks about the R7 in detail, a pic of a AV sedan on a 4WD platform testing in Sweden, Holden Cross 8 , R34 Skyline vs HSV GTS Coupe.
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2002, 18:28   #2 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

One of the journos gets on the trim line at Broady, and theres an extensive motorsport section with F1, Rally and V8Supercars.

Quote:
The R7 is a stunner. After four years of shooting off its toes, Ford Australia is now shooting for the stars.
Old 03-26-2002, 22:25   #3 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

more info guys please, 0-100 and 400 figures.
ayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 22:33   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

A GTR vs a GTS monaro what a joke. A GTS is a nice car but lets not get carried away here
HO HO HO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 02:18   #5 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Wheels and Motor are probably getting frustrated that they have run out of cars to put the WRX up against
Old 03-27-2002, 03:41   #6 (permalink)
[V8]Ford Power

Wheels

The new Wheels mag is soooooo gay.... I havent bought mags for a while cos they usually give you all the scoop info that turns out to be wrong or only sort of right (I do but Street Machine though... where did I put my flannelette shirt???). At least Motor usually appears to be a little more entertaining. The only story of worth was the R7 story. I really bought the mag for the GTS/GT-R story and what a woeful pile of crap that turned out to be. If they are going to compare the GTS to stuff why dont they be fair and stick to fair cars..... taxis, courier bikes ... and maybe a 3.18i BMW. Ok, ok.... maybe that is a little harsh but the story was just stupid... $170, 000 GT-R vs $90,000 Condomodore. Why dont they throw in a Porsche or an M3 BMW or even a Ferrari??? When it all comes down to it the GTS isnt that special... the Journos seem to agree the TS50 stops, turns and handles better but doesnt have the grunt of the Holden so of course the Nissan is going to smash it... and it does. I would say the only thing the Commondore has going for it over the Nissan is that parts and insurance should be cheaper (certainly not fuel economy). But then again the Nissan probably wont need a new engine inside 10,000 klms.
Old 03-27-2002, 05:42   #7 (permalink)

Now why couldnt they compare a Corvette Z06 to a R34 GTR, now that would be a good article!
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 09:08   #8 (permalink)

in all honesty i wouldnt even had to open the mag to see who won the GTS VS GTR article, the GTR is such more of a drivers/sports car its not funny. Comparing which is meant to be one of the best all round sports car to a family car with a more powerful engine pos isnt going to do it! I agree that article is a waste of time but i agree it will make interesting reading.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 09:10   #9 (permalink)

Re: Wheels

Quote:
Originally posted by [V8]Ford Power
The new Wheels mag is soooooo gay.... I havent bought mags for a while cos they usually give you all the scoop info that turns out to be wrong or only sort of right (I do but Street Machine though... where did I put my flannelette shirt???). At least Motor usually appears to be a little more entertaining. The only story of worth was the R7 story. I really bought the mag for the GTS/GT-R story and what a woeful pile of crap that turned out to be. If they are going to compare the GTS to stuff why dont they be fair and stick to fair cars..... taxis, courier bikes ... and maybe a 3.18i BMW. Ok, ok.... maybe that is a little harsh but the story was just stupid... $170, 000 GT-R vs $90,000 Condomodore. Why dont they throw in a Porsche or an M3 BMW or even a Ferrari??? When it all comes down to it the GTS isnt that special... the Journos seem to agree the TS50 stops, turns and handles better but doesnt have the grunt of the Holden so of course the Nissan is going to smash it... and it does. I would say the only thing the Commondore has going for it over the Nissan is that parts and insurance should be cheaper (certainly not fuel economy). But then again the Nissan probably wont need a new engine inside 10,000 klms.
the GTR isnt 170,000 buck is it? I dont think that its worth that much is it? Anyway i guess some people would say its worth it considering its such a good car, and some other cars, are even worth more and not even get the drivers experience you get in the GTR.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 14:44   #10 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

It'll do the GTS owners a world of good to be brought down a rung or two. Sure, we know the GTR/GTS comparo is a joke but some of these people think their 2-door Commodore is a world beater and capable of beating the best in the world. I liked reading about it's arse getting kicked by a Datsun.

As for motoring mags in general, I only buy on merit these days. Which of course means many Motor & Wheels stay on the newsagent shelves. As for Street Machine I have detected a general deterioration to satisfy the knuckle-draggin red-neck pro-street (street-LOL) audience ever since that editor Seddens took over. Say what you like about Oastler but at least he had the mag focused on Retro-Tech and street sensible legal rides which is surely the only sustainable direction for these types of cars. That's IMHO anyway.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub