Hiya... I hope I got the correct forum. I posted in the General Tech forum without thinking because that's where I normally read
I currently own 2 cars, and XD 351C on gas (basically it's as I bought it 2 yrs ago, it has extractors, a towing cam in it and a 5spd manual). And I have an XB coupe GS that rattles and shakes whenever it drives.
I use the XD for work, and travel about 800k's a month for work purposes. Fuel efficiency is great, 400K's for less than $25, and for some reason the suspension is really good as people comment on how well the car handles. I wanted to have a nice, classy and very, very fast V8 and realised I couldn't work on the XD because I didn't have a 2nd car to use for work. Therefore I got the XB, full of rust, a 302 that I know nothing about and so much dodgy stuff done to it that I'm surprised my relatives haven't stopped me from driving it.... but I love it, and it's going to be a very nice car one day.
And here's where I get to the point. The XD keeps breaking. I think the last few months I've been spending a grand a month on the XD just keeping it going. I'd really like that money to go towards the XB, and have the XD as the happy, reliable car it used to be. On a grand a month, I could be paying off a new car, and have reliable car, with a fixed cost each month, and have money to spare (well, spare money = money for XB).
So I need help here decided if I want to sell the XD and go something new, or bear with the XD and get it into a reliable state again, and not have a debt?
Keep the XD:
- Fuel efficiency for the power
- It's my 1st car (sentimental value)
- It already has a new clutch, gearbox, exhaust and rear brakes, there's not much more that needs replacing.
- I can work on the car myself, as things are simpler (I sooo need more mechanical knowledge, so any practise is good).
- I'm probably going to fix up a few things before I sell it anyway, so why not keep it?
Sell the XD for monies and buy a new shiny XR (XR6, XR6T, XR8, whatever fits with the budget):
- Every time something is either fixed or replaced it turns out just a little worse than before any work was done on it (e.g. gearbox now vibrates the car at certain revs; exhaust has a mystery leak that is always found and fixed, but is always still there when I get into the car; the new gearbox feels more worn than the old; every tune seems to not bring the car back to the point of the previous tune)
- I will need to spend more money getting the car reliable
- I still want to spend money on the XD getting it nicer than it was when I originally bought it, and that's after it's gotten to the reliable stage
- It's shiny, and new!
- It has a warranty
- It will come with the rims I want, the interior doesn't need to be changed, the drivers seat won't be bent so that the left side is 4 inches further back than the right.
- It will be more powerful than what I've currently got (that's one of the improvements to the XD I haven't gotten around to... it goes well, but doesn't go hard)
- I'll be in debt... not unmanageable debt, but it's a long term commitment.
- Insurance - I need to look into this.
- More fuel costs.
Comments? Experiences? Recommendations? Pros and Cons?
Sorry for the essay, but it's a big decision :).