This was on the news last night - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2001, 14:03   #1 (permalink)

This was on the news last night

I found this follow up to a news article that aired down here last night.

Do you love that inimitable 'new car' smell as you step into your brand new, straight-off-the-forecourt pride and joy? Australian scientists warn that this smell could actually be dangerous, as it indicates the presence of toxic emissions. Just-auto.com reports that the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) looked into anecdotal evidence that drivers were becoming ill after driving their new cars. They quote cases of drivers experiencing headaches, lung irritations, swellings, nausea and unusual drowsiness after trading in an older car for a new one, symptoms which did not occur when they drove other, older, vehicles.

Toxins found to be emitted into some new cars' cabins included benzene, acetone, ethyl benzene and xylene isomers; benzenes are associated with the forming of cancers, acetone is a mucosal irritant and xylene isomers can inhibit foetal development. They are possible by-products of the manufacture of plastics and synthetic materials, such as those used in vehicle interiors. Levels of there remain high for a good six months after manufacture.

The CSIRO has called for further investigation into these findings, and suggests that buyers of new cars should make sure that there is plenty of air from outside entering their car, at least for the first six months of ownership.

Don't know about you guys but it would be a nice way to go!
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2001, 14:55   #2 (permalink)
Capri mkIII Member

I know this needs looked into as people seem to be addicted to that "new car smell" . I know that sounds a little redic but then why get air freshners to recreate it????????

This is maybe why car sales men are so arrogant they are just high on fumes????????

John
The Flying Haggis
28s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 15:00   #3 (permalink)

Personally I know I like the new car smell, but I have only had two.

I mainly thought that it was just the leather in the sun that made it smell like it does, but those chemicals mentioned are scary stuff
Old 12-26-2001, 23:22   #4 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

That is scary crap but i guess new carpet ,new lounge suite etc etc would all have this as well.Nothing is without risk these days.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 10:28   #5 (permalink)

I also love the smell of a freshly detailed car.
Old 12-29-2001, 10:56   #6 (permalink)
Onxy - Slam

you gotta love the new car smell ^_^

I have this air freshner hung from my rear view mirror it smells like the car has had a full valet every morning you open the door its smells awsome ohh no i am one of those people
Troy Revill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 14:56   #7 (permalink)

Hah I see you have come to grips with the smilies. Good stuff
Old 12-29-2001, 17:44   #8 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Troy Revill
you gotta love the new car smell ^_^

I have this air freshner hung from my rear view mirror it smells like the car has had a full valet every morning you open the door its smells awsome ohh no i am one of those people
It will also be a helluva lot cheaper than a new car Troy.LOL
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 04:43   #9 (permalink)
Onxy - Slam

yeah, i was trying to con some of the stuff they use to make the new car smell when the valet it but the local ford garage wouldn't give me any when i worked there

The Eccy Project <--Click it you know you want to ^_^
Troy Revill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub