Next ute Falcon or Territory? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Base the next ute on Falcon or Territory?
Base on Falcon 16 57.14%
Base on Territory 12 42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2004, 23:40   #1 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Next ute Falcon or Territory?

Driving to work this morning I was thinking should the ute be based on the Falcon or the Territory in the future...

Territory pro's:
- shorter front end and cabin, so more length available for tray
- easier to do a 4wd version
- probably easier to do a crew cab version (again shorter cabin length)
- physically a better comparison with the Japanese utes
- better turning circle

Cons:
- higher load height
- XR/FPV versions just wouldn't be the same

Now besides reversing the above points,
Falcon pro's:
- better continuity from current model
- more car-like

Cons:
- ground clearance worse (although this is an advantage in XR/FPV versions obviously)

Given the likely absence of a wagon with the same leaf sprung rear end, both would have to have unique rear suspension etc. In an ideal world (ie if the volumes were there to justify it) there could be 2 versions, a Falcon based IRS standard wheelbase sporty version and a Territory based, leaf sprung, longer wheelbase more practical version.

Enough from me, what do you think?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2004, 23:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: Next ute Falcon or Territory?

With the investment put into Territory I predict it will only be a matter of time before other body styles use its underpinnings. The way it drives now (ie. it literally runs rings around a current wagon and I own a BA now) and with the improvement of further development utes, vans etc... should be possible if the will is there.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 23:57   #3 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Base it on Falcon. If there is to be a AWD ute then you'd have to look at ground clearance & desired drivetrains etc.. I'd still say that considering that Territory is based on the Falcon platform anyway.. Go the falcon!
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 00:01   #4 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

falcon ute.. been around for yonks. only thing that aussie would be the holden 1 tonner.

dont make it territory..

Previous ride: EBII V8 Manual Ghia spring roll.
Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
jmartion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:25   #5 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Based on the falcon - go the V8's! Territory is apparantly too tight in the engine bay dept for the v8
Old 01-28-2004, 06:02   #6 (permalink)

Yeah right, remember when everyone wondered why Ford Australia hadn't talked about offering the 4.6 DOHC V8 in the Falcon to replace the Windsor (and at the time i was hoping it would be a quad cam 5.4) and FOrd Australia told the media it would not fit the Falcons engine bay...... hmmmm Do you really believe them? There is word going around that there will eventually be a V8 Territory. Also the ride height would be a great advantage, just look how well the RTV is doing, it would be more flexible to do more hard work in my oppinion as well as look ten times better than the ugly 1 tonne VY ute, if thats an AUssie icon to be proud of, then we should kill ALL our exports all together!
Also, we didnt invent the car-based pickup called the ute..... the Yanks did, I believe, with the Chevy El Camino, which are only sought after for their engines, I believe the bodys are worth nothing....

Last edited by chevypower; 01-28-2004 at 06:04.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 12:59   #7 (permalink)

Has to be based on Falcon not Territory.

The ute has traditionally been based on the LWB Falcon platform, giving a much longer tray, the Territory is based on the SWB Falcon Platform and would result in a shorter tray making it far less practical for tradies etc.

Has to be Falcon based has to be based on the LWB platform.
RICHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 14:26   #8 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Richo, I am working on the assumption there may not be a lwb Falcon wagon with leaf springs with the next generation Falcon. Also I was looking at a lwb version of the Territory, with leaf spring rear and chassis the same as the current ute. My concern is the ratio of tray in front of and behind the rear axle which impacts payload and rear axle loading. As explained above, the Territory could have a longer rear-of-cab to rear axle dimension than the Falcon on the same wheelbase.

I am assuming the next model/generation Territory will have the V8.

Chevypower, the first recognised sedan-based ute was the Ford developed by Lew Bandt at Ford in Geelong in 1934. Elkys were not made until the late 50s.

Last edited by outback_ute; 01-28-2004 at 14:37.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 16:01   #9 (permalink)
Dual Exhaust Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Also, we didnt invent the car-based pickup called the ute..... the Yanks did, I believe, with the Chevy El Camino.
A bit off topic, but Lew Bandt designed the first ute and it was released in 1934... I don't think there were many El Caminos around then :)
Old 01-28-2004, 17:31   #10 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

I'm predicting in time we will eventually see both.

The Falcon will continue with the existing AU/BA architecture (maybe with some sheetmetal or cladding updates to more closely resemble the next model Falcon) well beyond it's true use-by-date. Remember XF-XG-XH utes while the sedan family did EA-EL. This allows the ute development costs to be spread over a reasonable number of units. Thus the Falcon ute will remain as the trady workhorse (up to 1 tonne) and sporty variant XR/Pursuit.

Meanwhile, assuming Territory is the success that is hoped for, a stretched wheelbase ute version will come out in either extra-cab or dual-cab configuration aimed at the recreational user. It will retain the control blade rear end and will also be either RWD only or AWD.

Thus the next truely new ute variant will be based on Territory, so that's how I voted.

Last edited by RAPTOR; 01-28-2004 at 17:33.
RAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub