No More Pre 90's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2005, 23:41   #1 (permalink)

frown No More Pre 90's

i have recently heard some nasty rumors that our lovely leaders in the goverment have decided to phase out all pre 90 model cars. How would this be posibale. Has anyone else heard the same thing or do my sources need a kick up the back side?
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2005, 04:18   #2 (permalink)
Roll, Crash and Smash

Re: No More Pre 90's

**** off, thats just stupid.

AMBROSE CHAMPION AGAIN IN 2004
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:56   #3 (permalink)
what u lookin at

i cannot see that happening
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 07:02   #4 (permalink)
Ford Fanatic!

your sources need a kick in the backside.
imnotsilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 14:04   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

I could see the Australian government making it more attractive to own post 90's cars and making it less attractive to own pre 90's cars. But why 90's nothing much really happened in 1990.. Its pre 1986 cars that will go first.

Phasing out of leaded petrol or LPR is just one such way. I can't see them putting in legislation to add taxes or fees on older cars, pensioners would be up in arms.

Countries like Japan make it only viable to buy newer cars, germany has a extremely high car turn over rate, where as in Newzealand the fleet turn over rate is 40 years!. Can you imagine how wierd Australia would be if most people drive 2000 or newer cars?
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 20:57   #6 (permalink)

In America, a lot of people are able to take their old cars to specified sites, where the government would effectively buy the car off them. These cars would no longer be able to be registered, and as a result are crushed.

One of my instructors went over there and tried to get a mint condition Chev from this lot, but they aren't allowed to sell them. As a result, you have a great deal of good usable (restorable) cars (i.e. Mustangs) that get wasted.
FoxMulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:12   #7 (permalink)
AU XR6 VCT 'WANNABE'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulder
In America, a lot of people are able to take their old cars to specified sites, where the government would effectively buy the car off them. These cars would no longer be able to be registered, and as a result are crushed.

One of my instructors went over there and tried to get a mint condition Chev from this lot, but they aren't allowed to sell them. As a result, you have a great deal of good usable (restorable) cars (i.e. Mustangs) that get wasted.
Damn that's appaling man, I mean it's one thing to get rid of a vehicle that is not restorable or a rust bucket or any vehicle of the nature of these 2 examples, but to say that restorable cars will not be avalible to enthusiasts is down right crazy.
You might as well say that they're getting rid of history. I'm betting that a lot of ppl out there would have some great history to be told relating to a lot of these vehicles.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:29   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Saw a ad on TV mentioning this. But the cars they were showing looked like leaded ones.

I know that most governments will be heading towards pushing for quicker fleet turn over. Reasons are:
-Safer. Lower road toll, less injuries, less severe, better maintained vechicals etc.
-Helps economy, more people regularly changing and updating cars (good for dealers and manufacturers)
-Lower emissions, newer cars almost always emit less and have better intact exhaust and emission systems
-Better image for Australia. Driving around in old or poorly maintained cars is a bad image for people. Doesn't make Australia seem very modern and economically strong.

Old cars are going the way of Fireworks and guns.. Sure you can get them, much harder, special fees and licences etc.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:38   #9 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Heres a better idea if they are that worried about older cars on our roads, how bout a buy back scheme to get those shitty rust buckets & oil burners off the roads first instead of the Golden Oldies.

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 16:24   #10 (permalink)

Today Tonight, tonight 10th January has a story on this proposed ban on ols=d cars.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub