No, not my precious! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2004, 19:35   #1 (permalink)

No, not my precious!

Just been in a minor prang today in my EL XR6. 2 other cars were involved - I braked firmly to stop in time when the line of traffic stopped quickly, the guy behind me braked harder, but still stopped in time, but the third guy didn't brake in time, hit the car behind me which was pushed into me. About the only damage I suffered it seems is a buckled and scratched/marked bumper and the little number plate light in the bumper doesn't work anymore.

The guy who triggered it off hit at a solid pace - his airbag went off
and suffered some damage to the engine as the guy he hit had a tow bar - which went through his grille, and probably damaged the radiator too. It was leaking oil as well. So some time in the next few weeks I'll probably only need a new bumper fitted. The guy in the AU Falcon wagon behind had both front and rear bumpers damaged, the grille and the tailgate won't shut. The guy at the back who was in a 98 Ford Laser had bonnet damage as well as the rest.

I wasn't upset at the driving of the other cars - you know the situation where the car in front brakes hard, and it just gets more severe as it goes down the line. I almost got out of it, but the 3rd car thumped the 2nd one into me.
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 20:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: No, not my precious!

I hope that guy had insurance... save you a bit of work. I hope no-one was injured, that is the worst thing that could happenned, cars can always be fixed or replaced.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:50   #3 (permalink)

All you got to do is deal with the guy directly behind you or his insurer
Old 11-17-2004, 05:04   #4 (permalink)

Firstly, no one was hurt - the guy whose airbag went off seemed 100%, and the only grimace on my face was when I heard the sound of my car getting hit and felt the car hit and knew I'll be paying a visit to a smash repairer.

I got the names of both drivers - they both were driving company cars. So even in the unlikely event the cars are uninsured, it sounds like they would have the money to pay up. I'm considering just going through my own insurer and let them run around and recover the costs. It costs me nothing when I supply them with the name of the party at fault. I also get lifetime guarantee on repairs (this is with AAMI). I'll just give them the names of both drivers, and tell them what happened, who I think was at fault etc and it should be fixed up quickly. The last time I dealt directly with the at fault party's insurer (which also happened to be mine), they stuffed me around and it took at least a month longer than it should have and countless phone calls to get the cheque off them. After telling me it should be there next week every week for about a month, they then told me the reason for the delay is their customer hadn't paid the excess - something which shouldn't have affected me.
Old 11-17-2004, 13:24   #5 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Been in a similar situation... It is so much easier just to let your insurance company sort it out. That is what they are there for and that is what you pay your $$$ for.

Main thing is you are okay!
Old 11-17-2004, 13:29   #6 (permalink)

my brother inlaw had the same thing happened he braked for car in front,so did the car behind him but the 3rd was going so fast he didnt brake in time,brother inlaws car rear bumper was ripped half off,2nd car had buggered rear and front bumper/lights broken
and the 3rd car of all things a excel was a write off non fixable,the excel was insured cars all fix etc within weeks so it was all good..
cars are a lethal weapon,your not invinsible when you get into one,and no matter how much skill you think you have,you are never in control you are always on the edge of death it may not happen today but if you keep driving like you do,you too will end up dead!
hoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 13:42   #7 (permalink)
BOFH

Sounds like a std sort of daily prang. Glad you (and the others) are ok. Maybe a 130kph limiter would have saved you LOL.

Oh, and I'm betting the Laser has got big damage. Something about wagons is they are bloody hard. I saw a Sigma Wagon win a smash up derby comp once. It was unbreakable, the rear end just desroyed anything it hit was almost no damage to itself.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 17:56   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Sounds like a std sort of daily prang. Glad you (and the others) are ok. Maybe a 130kph limiter would have saved you LOL.

Oh, and I'm betting the Laser has got big damage. Something about wagons is they are bloody hard. I saw a Sigma Wagon win a smash up derby comp once. It was unbreakable, the rear end just destroyed anything it hit was almost no damage to itself.
I get your joke about the speed limiter, but 2 cars had slowed to 0km/h.
The Laser visibly wasn't too bad - the front of the bonnet was a bit bent, cracked headlights and stuff, but was left fairly straight. The big damage was from the tow bar on the wagon going through the grille that resulted in the car leaking oil and a little water. You wouldn't want alot of wagons to crumple at the rear, especially if you fit a 3rd row of seats for the littlies.
Old 11-17-2004, 18:38   #9 (permalink)
BOFH

ah no you wouldnt want that now would we casper ( from wifey) as ours has the third row of seats. better still the guy who hits me better run very fast because we mothers tend to act like werewolves when our children are threatened and trust me i do bite just ask casper ( from wifey)

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 23:42   #10 (permalink)
AU XR6 VCT 'WANNABE'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
ah no you wouldnt want that now would we casper ( from wifey) as ours has the third row of seats. better still the guy who hits me better run very fast because we mothers tend to act like werewolves when our children are threatened and trust me i do bite just ask casper ( from wifey)
Hahaha. Casper's wifey aint the only wifey that bites. Nevertheless at least you were able to walk away from this man and good luck dealing with the guy.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub