noob question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 19:11   #1 (permalink)

noob question

ive been reading some forums on how to improve your car and have came across "cams" or "hot cams" ... ect...

could some one please fill me in on this

thanks
madman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2008, 18:33   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: noob question

Well I will try to explain.

You can buy camshafts that have a different profile to what the cam in a standard vehicle may have. The standard profile made for your car will generally be done to get the good gas mileage and performance that is to suit a wide range of buyers. Something perhaps to suit the average buyer. "Hot" cams have a profile ground to target a more specific driver. For instance a high performance drag racing car will have a very wild cam that will perhaps give a vast increase in power if the engine is revved to 7500rpm but will likely be terrible at 2000 rpm and probably idle like a yoyo but is suited to a drag racer.
There will be alot of different profiles that can be ground on a camshaft to suit all sorts of usage from a truck towing large loads to an engine in a racing boat. The cam will need to suit the other parts on the car too such as fuel injection, induction and exhaust.

I hope I have gone someway to explain things.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:18   #3 (permalink)

Garage

To add to BBF's response. Cam selection is also some of an art. You can buy anything that fits but it doesn't mean it will work for you. It's a part of a package of parts that comes with the engine. You can change to a profile that can use the inlet system (from air filter to the intake valve) and the exhaust system (exhaust valve to the outlet of the tail pipe. Go to Comp Cams and look at the questions asked when you want to order a cam.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:04   #4 (permalink)

Hope this helps, I just 'skimmed' over it...

Camshaft Selection - Specifications, Tech, Overview - Hot Rod Magazine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub

Related Reading: noob question