Not happy with a Motor comment. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2003, 06:19   #1 (permalink)

Not happy with a Motor comment.

A comment made by Motor in the XR8 vs SS article ticked me off.

In the 5 thigns about the SS it says something allong the lines of

"Cruise controls work better than falcons"

Erm, did they even use the the SS cruise?

If its anything like the birlina, then this is the single most rediculous claim Motor have ever made.

/rant
FORDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2003, 06:44   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

How is the Commodore's better? Ergonomics?

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 08:40   #3 (permalink)
goooone

Ergonomics the Falcon makes the Commodore look stupid I don't know if one holds its speed better tho
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 17:18   #4 (permalink)

Well, my father has a BA fairmont Ghia, and seeing as hes on a business trip, to germany, for short trips to the shops etc when needed I am allowd to take it. I can tell you for a fact, that compared to the birlina we had (which was a 2000 model, BUT the cruise is virtually the SAME! we chacked out the brand new VY and the stics on the column feel so flimsy that it makes you wonder if there about to fall off).

Ok to the point.
It holds speed nicely, it accelerates at an easy pace to speed, if you go up a hill, it just unlocks the torque converter and gets you up it (this is a steep kill allong the m4 on the way to the city, had to get into uni one saterday) all other hills it gets over holding speed with no dramas and without you really noticing.....

NOT A SINGLE thing seemed wrong with it, it did as it was told, pressing once gave you almost exactly 1 kph more speed, pressing the -ve made it coast down 1 or 2, can't remeber.

Sop meh, it just ticked me off.
Old 04-12-2003, 18:19   #5 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Its spelt Berlina not birlina!

but to get ticked off about a top 5 reasons for commodore statement? God, by no means are these two cars the duck's guts in motoring. The article doesn't actually say what the problem was but you can't compare the cruise controls of other models! The xr8 has its own unique engine, both of the test cars are manual. And ergonomics is often a hit or miss affair.

I really wouldn't get that upset! Its a journalist and their paid to have opinions, and like any car, the xr8 will have faults.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 19:11   #6 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Dave, it actually says cruise control switches work better on the Commie, I take that to mean the ease of use/ergonomics rather than the how well the C/C actually goes about it business.
So you can certainly compare C/C's on differing models :)
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 22:11   #7 (permalink)

Wow i spelt Berlina wrong. Your spelt ergonomics wrong. This isn't an english lesson in how to spell a crap cars name.

And its not a huge issue, its just one of those little things that bugs you when you know it is totaly wrong. Even though its a small issue, its the fact that no matter what your opinion or bias, it is something totaly untrue if it is, a) easier to use, b) if higher quality, c) looks better, d) safer and e) works better, which is the most subject to opinion of them all.

a, b, and d are not disputable.
a) Its easier to use as in 2 presses of buttons without actually looking away from the road is very simple to do.
b) When you press the buttons it doesnt feel like you could break them if you press them to hard.
d) is safer because of a). You dont look away from the road.

Looks better and how the cruise actualy goes about holding speed is subject to personal preference........

Thats why it anoyed me (if only slightly), because its so obviously wrong.
Old 04-13-2003, 00:28   #8 (permalink)

Just because you find the fords easier to use doesn't mean the journo didn't find the holdens easier.. That is why you don't take everything you read as gospel, as everyone is different with different tastes or as you said "....subject to personal preference"
and yes a,c,d are disputable... who are you to say the ford cruise is easier to use, looks better, safer and works better.. I prefer the cruise in the VY, but that is MY OPINION. not right and not wrong, just MINE.. Higher quality is the only item that can be subjected to an immense battery of tests to prove quality of materials and construction and I doubt that you have done that...

The thing that bugs me is ford fans/holden fans bagging out the other's cars for no real reason. If you drove a folden or a hord and didn't like how something worked, great, tell us all about it. but this thread..... why bother
Devil CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 00:36   #9 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Motor only mentioned it in the top five reasons for an SS right?

Even if it is misplaced criticism, I'd hardly think it would cost falcon sales over the issue of cruise control ergonomics.

Really its a matter of personal opinion - God it's not like falcon's running BMW's iDrive system !

Holden certainly can't feel triumphant from that review either though, the bit on the power steering systems at the end is something that could cost sales !
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 02:35   #10 (permalink)
Ford Member

Unfortunatly opinions are like a**holes. Every has one :)
hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub