NSW to get point to point Speedcameras - YAY! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2004, 06:27   #1 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

frown NSW to get point to point Speedcameras - YAY!

Note my sarcasam. Sad day for NSW driving.

Havent they got enough revenue already ? I'd sell my car, but the trains don't run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMH - [url
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/28/1077677014366.html][/url]

New speed camera will be watching drivers for 35km

By Alex Mitchell, State Political Editor
February 29, 2004

Cunning drivers who slow down when they see signposts for speed cameras and resume speeding when they have passed them will be outfoxed by new technology.

Roads Minister Carl Scully will today unveil new point-to-point cameras to be trialled on two major speed hot spots - the Pacific Highway in northern NSW and Sydney's M4 Motorway.

The first camera will digitally record the number plate of a vehicle as it passes. The second camera will take another, time-recorded, snapshot when the vehicle passes it.

"The cameras know how long it takes to legally cover the distance between the two points," Mr Scully said. "If the vehicle has reached the second camera too soon, it must have travelled above the speed limit for some of the way.

"During the trial period, no infringement notices will be issued to drivers whose average speeds are found by the point-to-point cameras to have exceeded the speed limit.

"However, they will receive a letter from the RTA warning them their speeding has been recorded."

The new system will be trialled on a 12-kilometre stretch near Chinderah and on a 35-kilometre section of the Pacific Highway at New Italy, both on the far North Coast, and on a 4.2-kilometre length of the M4 between Wentworthville and Granville. The trials will start in May and continue until the end of the year.

"The results will be assessed and, if the scheme proves successful, similar point-to-point cameras will be installed on other routes," Mr Scully said.

"Speeding was involved in 38 per cent of fatalities on NSW roads last year and it is still the largest contributor to deaths on our roads.

"Speeding over long distances is a major concern, with recent surveys showing that many heavy vehicles and cars are breaking the speed limit on the Pacific Highway just south of Ballina."

Mr Scully said NSW was the first state to introduce fixed digital speed cameras and now had 111 in operation.

He also announced an inquiry into whether long-distance truck drivers were accurately keeping the compulsory log books installed in their cabins.

The top-level review of log-book compliance is backed by the trucking industry and the Transport Workers Union.

Anecdotal evidence exists of log books being tampered with and drivers have also complained about the level of accuracy required by the RTA when filling in log books.

"I have convened a high-level working group to develop strategies to address these issues," Mr Scully said. "The group will meet in March and report back to me in three months."

Representatives will include WorkCover, NSW Police, NSW Road Transport Association, RTA and Road Freight Advisory Council.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2004, 13:54   #2 (permalink)
sideways instructor

Re: NSW to get point to point Speedcameras - YAY!

This is becoming out of control
WE HAVE IGNITION
NO BOUNDRIES

Your a stooge mate
xrfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 14:03   #3 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Speed was involved (not the only factor) in "38%" of fatalities last year. What about the other 62%??

I think this is another revenue raising effort...

The fines would have to be less than if snapped by a stand alone camera... as it would be based on average speed, not highest speed.
Old 02-28-2004, 14:12   #4 (permalink)
BOFH

Well, it's all a big fat revenue scheme. Just make sure if you drive that stretch of road to stop and have a pit stop sometime during it!

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 14:12   #5 (permalink)
freelance

I'd like to see them put one of these jackass camera systems across the M5! Will the RTA and Carrs mob pay me a refund when a 20min trip from Heathcote Rd to Mascot regularly takes over an hour and a half. Bet the cocks dont publish those figures.

There are votes in this, and Mr Carr/Scully/Costa they aren't votes for you.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 14:36   #6 (permalink)
freelance

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBXR
Speed was involved (not the only factor) in "38%" of fatalities last year. What about the other 62%??
Carr and his faggott mates are working on the revenue lost from the other 62%.

The new fines to expect will include:

Driving on inadequate road or Freeway - 3 points ($320.00)

Driving whilst dead - 12 points ($1000.00)
once softened up for this one it will apply for heart attack stroke and other medical emergency.

Being Struck by another vehicle - 1 point ($200.00)
(come on, to be struck they have contributed too. I mean why miss 50% of an opportunity)

Driving a vehicle not fitted with a RTA speed Kills decal - 2 points ($150.00)
we all know you cannot be killed whilst driving below the posted speed

Dieing of old age asphyxiation during peak hour in an RTA tunnel - 12points ($1000.00)

Striking an RTA pothole with a wheel or tyre - 6 points ($400.00)
Thes are state govt potholes and they are not authorised for private use under our OH&S policy

Impeding the path of a govt car heading to a red light district, gay club etc - 4 point ($350.00)
We are on official business and if caught we can have some subordinate produce a phoney report or excuse

Taking responsibility for your own actions whilst in charge of a motor vehicle - Immediate loss of license ($5000.00)
we are the govt and we know whats right for you.

That should earn them another few billion to spend on god knows what, because its not spent on Roads, public transport, hospitals or health, public utilities like water gas or electricity. Couldn't be these pricks are lining their own pockets could it? No surely not they sent me a glossy brochure telling me what a wonderful job they were doing.

Last edited by RED_EL_XR8; 02-28-2004 at 14:41.
Old 02-28-2004, 14:50   #7 (permalink)

So you could go 200km/h for part of it then slow down to 20km/h and still go between them in the same time, you'd look like a dick and there is no real point but you probably could, but my point is that you can still speed cant you? you just slow down below the limit further on and when your speeding you could still crash.

That probably doesnt make any sense, I'll shut up now
Ambrose_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 15:56   #8 (permalink)
RACE

I think there will be uproar even from people that were in support of speed cameras. As when this is introduced EVERYONE will be done because we all know everyone speeds on pretty much every journey even if it's slightly over the speed limit.

Speaking of speeding as a cause for 38% of all fatalities, I travel on the M4 6 days a week and have never seen a fatality between Wentworthville and Granville.

So it's all about reducing fatalities is it??

I think one day in the very near future these cameras and others will suffer the same fate as those in the Netherlands do now.
Old 02-28-2004, 17:00   #9 (permalink)

does anybody else feel like they NEED to break something?
i dont even drive on those stretches of road and i still dont want them there!
ive been a staunch ALP supporter untill now but will be voting for the "liberation of australian motorists parrty" plse tell me there is one?
tx3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 17:39   #10 (permalink)
freelance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
does anybody else feel like they NEED to break something?
How much damage would be done to a BA XR8 from a collision with a state premier? Would it affect my no claim bonus or premium?

Last edited by RED_EL_XR8; 02-28-2004 at 17:52.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub