NSW Labor admits responsibility for the high road toll - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2004, 00:41   #1 (permalink)
freelance

Lightbulb NSW Labor admits responsibility for the high road toll

Heard The Right Snakey Mr Karl Sculley babble on about all the new infringements he and his slap happy mates have dreamedup for NSW from Oct 1. You can now even lose points for parking or carrying fishing rods. (I'll bet the fishing rods one came from that loser and self appointed head of the pedestrian council)

But during his well rehearsed routine of lies and deception Mr Sculley stated quite resoundly that it is a know fact that "people with lost demerit points are much likely to be involved in an accident than others".
From this one can quite reasonably deduce that

A: Accidents are mostly caused by lost demerit points

and that

B: the government policy of increased penalties and infrigements is actually increasing the road toll.

Makes you think, Doesn't it? On the other hand he could just be talking shit to justify his next lot of revenue scams to fleece the NSW motoring public.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2004, 05:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: NSW Labor admits responsibility for the high road toll

Not sure where you got oct 1 from..
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/newsevents...ew.html?hhid=1

“This new system, which comes into force on February 1 next year, reduces the current, complex 48 levels of fines and offences to just 15, bringing about greater simplicity and consistency in traffic and parking offences.”

Among the most significant changes is the introduction of demerit points for some safety-related parking offences, Mr Scully said.

“These include double parking and stopping on or near school and pedestrian crossings.
**totally agree with this one, hopefully soccer mums in there 4wd will cop it**

“For the first time, Council officers will be able to issue a penalty notice for an offence that attracts demerit points,” Mr Scully said.
**this scares the hell out of me, council officers with the power of points**
Devil CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:10   #3 (permalink)
freelance

Yep your right on the Feb 1 start.

My gripe is the introduction of so many new laws and schemes, it can only be for the purpose of raising revenue..

I'm not a fan of the Mums in 4WD's double parked outside schools either, but why cant we just have some reasonable and sensible enforcement of the existing laws. Give Carr his way and he'll be fining you for sneezing on a Tuesday.

Although my original post was tongue in cheek I do believe this revenue campaign is actually costing lives on our roads.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:54   #4 (permalink)
3FB's Peter Pan!!!

I think you need to remember that things such as double parking and so on make the roads more dangerous by, for example, forcing people to drive on the wrong side of the road to get around double parked cars etc. The laws are there and I agree with the demerit points side of things but not necessarily the fines being introduced/increased.

Also, can you please point out how you came to both conclusions in your first post? Not criticising, just asking cause I dont follow the logic....thanks!
Old 09-24-2004, 05:30   #5 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Haha, i thought, "that cant be true" when i read the topic.
I hope this trend dosent pick up here in Victoria. If someone had 1 point left (like me) and lost it for a parking offence that person would be mighty pissed (in a bad way!).

The soccermum argument is useless as they are a tiny minority in the total number of people who get done for parking offences. Its a minor offence and should be treated as such.

God, its as if these people (im looking at you Scruby!) make these stupid announcements just to get my blood boiling!

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 02:34   #6 (permalink)

My brother got booked 70 bucks for parking 15 minutes longer than the 3 hours allowed at a shopping centre car park...Under new laws he would of lost 2 points for that!!! bloody rediculous. Was the parking officer actually timing him with a stopwatch?? bloody money-hungry labour governments... see, this is where I link state and federal politics... its the Libs i tick on the ballot paper on October 9!!!
micmansour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:04   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmansour
My brother got booked 70 bucks for parking 15 minutes longer than the 3 hours allowed at a shopping centre car park...Under new laws he would of lost 2 points for that!!! bloody rediculous.
What is ridiculous is people not reading and understanding what is and isn't covered with the new laws..... Using your example your brother still wouldn't get hit with any points.
These are the only parking offences that get hit with points.

Rule 171 (1) Stop on/near children’s crossing $231 5 $225 3
Rule 172 (1) Stop on/near pedestrian crossing $231 5 $225 3
Rule 173 (1) Stop on/near marked foot crossing $231 5 $225 3
Rule 175 (1) Stop on/near level crossing $70 5 $225 3
Rule 183 (1) Stop in bus zone $95 5 $225 2
Rule 195 (1) Stop at/near bus stop $95 5 $225 2
Rule 189 Double park $95 4 $175 2
Devil CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 15:07   #8 (permalink)
freelance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil CV8
.....edit ........
These are the only parking offences that get hit with points.

Rule 171 (1) Stop on/near children’s crossing $231 5 $225 3
Rule 172 (1) Stop on/near pedestrian crossing $231 5 $225 3
Rule 173 (1) Stop on/near marked foot crossing $231 5 $225 3
Rule 175 (1) Stop on/near level crossing $70 5 $225 3
Rule 183 (1) Stop in bus zone $95 5 $225 2
Rule 195 (1) Stop at/near bus stop $95 5 $225 2
Rule 189 Double park $95 4 $175 2
All of these offenses are already covered by existing fines, and all are poorly enforced. Why do we need all this over-government. Bigger fines wont stop it, the odds of getting away with this disregard is still better than odds on, it just allows the working over a selected few.
WE DONT NEED NEW FINES, WE NEED SENSIBLE ENFORCMENT OF EXISTING ONES!!!

Here is a whacky and out there idea, why doesn't the government in power spend a little of the massive revenue they receive from roads and motorists, on improvement of the same roads and facilities around them, ie adequate parking bays near schools and Hospitals.
And how about a few real traffic cops instead of the camera/revenue jockeys. Yeah like I believe this would happen.

Resist this nanny state mentality, your being screwed !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub