NT drivers - whats the go with licencing?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2003, 04:57   #1 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

NT drivers - whats the go with licencing??

i was speaking to a guy the other day, he told me that the Northern Territory does not have a points system for licencing - they just take your money? he said the only way to really loose your licence is to get busted for drink driving, or doing something really stupid.

whats the go? is he full of BS? or should i move to the northern territory????

how long do you think i would have to live there before i could get a NT licence, and how long could i keep the licence before i would have to get a QLD one??

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2003, 05:31   #2 (permalink)
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)

Re: NT drivers - whats the go with licencing??

No BS mate. No points here, just fines (infact, until a while back I'd never really heard of points except in American movies etc :), and what he said about losing license is about right too. All that plus no speed limits on the open roads..... and ppl wonder why I don't wanna move interstate 8-)

Y'know, you could get a license in the NT and just come for a drive back here for a few days every few months, you could just say you live in the NT but have heaps of looong holidays! ;-)

While we're on the topic of state laws/differences, I think I heard something weird the other day like in some states you have to be 18 before you can get your license - is this real?? If so, is it just your full license, or you can't even get L's until 18? That'd suck if it's true (not that it concerns me any more I guess :)

Also, some of you guys on East Coast etc. have some 50km speed limits around the place don't you? How do you handle it? I just found out the Territory is gonna cop 50km limits in some areas in March '04 - That sucks IMO - they've been reducing our speed limits everywhere, used to have a few 70 zones around Alice, now they've reduced some of them and made it a bit further out of town before you get an open limit and even made it 110 limit half the way to Ayer's Rock - now 50 zones ?!?!

Anyway...
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 14:28   #3 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Yeah here in Vic we have speed cameras hiding everywhere, points systems, 50kmh limit in ALL built up areas and can't get our P plates untill 18 years. Can get L's at 16.

But just for laughs our P's are for 3 years and there is power restrictions on the cars and you have to be 0.00 BAC for the whole time too.

And people wonder why I want out....
Old 12-08-2003, 14:34   #4 (permalink)
Ghiad Up

Aahh, the NT, lived there for 13 yrs. No points is wonderful, that will change in time. The open limit is now 50 kms out of Darwin now, changed about 5 or 6 yrs ago. Dont get it till your past Cox Penninsula turn off now. Only one digital camera, that the Auxillary coppers use. NO multanovas.
bowsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 15:16   #5 (permalink)

Everyone is going to get 50 Km/h limits, whether they like it or not, these limits just appeared out of nowhere without stuff all public con*****tion. Here in SA in Adelaide there is a suburb known as Unley which for the last five or so years has had a 40 Km/h speed limit right through it and this ain't a small suburb. It was controversial because the local council brought that little piece of draconian 'pedestrian friendly' crap in and do you think the residents complained at having to drive their expensive euro' cars at that speed everywhere. There's nothing more hilarious than seeing indignant and unhappy 'yuppies' having a whinge and then seeing them not get their way, boy I laughed.

Half the reason the NT never went the points system was their driving offence punishments are particularly harsh. Here's a basic rundown of the DUI.

1. Driving offence of .05 and under 0.08.

Penalty 1st Offence
Traffic Infringement Notice can be issued of $100 fine
Up to $500 or imprisonment for 3 months

Penalty 2nd or Subsequent Offences
$750 or imprisonment for 6 months

When I lived up there in Darwin I couldn't believe the amount of people that didn't drive or own a car because of the runniing costs they said and secondly drink drive punishments, some people I met I thought were just plain paranoid until they told me people they knew folks who got sent to jail for a first offence.

In SA you have to turn nineteen years of age before you obtain a full licence, but at least P platers can travel at 100 Km/h instead of at 80 Km/h like it used to be... driving down a country road trying to stick to 80 on a road that was posted a 110 was closest thing to torture I'd ever come across.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 23:37   #6 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

I lived in the NT for 3 years, it was great, and the fines are pretty reasonable.
When i was there it was $50 per 15 km, eg under 15km over the limit, you were fined $55, the $5 was for admin fees.

They talked about bringing points in while i was up there but it still talk by the looks of it.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 23:45   #7 (permalink)
Ghiad Up

Tr ythe rego costs though, WA is $115 for 6 months on a bike, NT is pushing $300 now, more than double. Yearly inspections are compulsory to.
bowsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 23:53   #8 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

I first got there in 1997, i had an XG XR6 ute, the rego was $398.
Rego goes on engine capacity up there. when i left at the end of 1999 it had gone up to $520, for a 4lt engine.
My mate has a 5lt and a 5.8, stuff that.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:06   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Yeah i recently moved back to Melb after 3 yrs in the NT and that was probably one of the best things about being up there. Also most of the cops i interacted with were pretty reasonable. i think i got pulled over somewhere in the order of 6 times in 3yrs for speeding, 50 fine each time. Once i was in a mates car doing a run from Darwin to Katherine, open speed limit the whole way except for towns where it drops to 60. My mate didnt bother slowing down to go thru Adelaide River(about 200m of main street) and about 5 mins later we see flashing lights behind us and end up getting pulled over. We went thru a town doing 210(150kms over the limit) and all we got was a stern talking to and a lecture on how easy it is for young guys to kill themselves on these roads with fast cars. My mate was very relieved to say the least.

You sure it wasnt me that was speaking to ya about it Rollin? I was talking to someone about it at the Xmas cruise on the weekend!
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 01:17   #10 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

210 through Adelaide river, hahahaha, lucky no tourist bus didnt step out in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub