OFF TOPIC New P00ter - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2001, 15:55   #1 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

OFF TOPIC New P00ter

For the peeps that are into p00ters.I just got a new one assembled.
AMD Athlon XP1800
Asus A7V266-E Mo board Kt266 DDR
512 megs DDR Ram
GeForce 3 Ti200
Sound Blaster Audigy.
Windows XP
Goes pretty good but i feel the downfall of these XP1800's is the dam heat they generate.Bloody fans going sound like a 747 landing.I am currently ripping out the Fan and heatsink and putting in a Thermaltake Volcano7 copper heatsink and fan in the hope it is quieter.Fantastic looking fan and heatsink setup this Volcano 7 .Bright blue heatsink with chrome fan housing.Shame it is hidden in the case.This noisy SOB could push me to an intel P4 very easily.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2001, 02:11   #2 (permalink)

I have the 1500 and I know exactly what you mean about the fan.

Actually I have to take it back early in the new year as something in it is making noises on start up!
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 10:17   #3 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

Thats a sweet setup you have there BBF.... I want to get my hands on a Geforce 3 Ti 500.
I got sick of the noise in the fans in my PC too, and now it is water cooled :s5
Have you got a DVD drive so you can use V8 Race driver when codemasters releases it?? :s5
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 13:54   #4 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by HSE2
I have the 1500 and I know exactly what you mean about the fan.

Actually I have to take it back early in the new year as something in it is making noises on start up!
It's a shame about the noise on these things as they go good but in an office situation with a number of computers it would be a pain.I have the tower up on the desk and it is right in my ear.
Old 12-18-2001, 14:09   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by DONUT KING
Thats a sweet setup you have there BBF.... I want to get my hands on a Geforce 3 Ti 500.
I got sick of the noise in the fans in my PC too, and now it is water cooled :s5
Have you got a DVD drive so you can use V8 Race driver when codemasters releases it?? :s5
It is a sweet set up performance wise.I really thought hard about the Ti500 but the cost was just so much more and it seems that the Ti200 would do all i need for a while(tightwad lol).To be honest i still thought for a while wether to get a P4 or the AMD.The cost advantage of the AMD has all but dissapeared but I would have got the rambus system and Ram costs etc swayed me to the AMD.I have to admit that the noise from this would have put me back to the intel as they don't require so much cooling.
The new fan is a temp controlled variable speed so maybe wont be ringing it so much all the time and it is also a bigger fan that runs slower so hopefully the noise will be not so high.I mite have to talk to you about this water cooling but you have to wonder about water and PC internals LOL.How is it setup.There are also a number of other fans running in the case but it is the CPU that is adding the most noise to the system.
I did put a DVD rom in also.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:03   #6 (permalink)

Sounds like you know your PC there BBF. Sounds like a great system!
Old 12-19-2001, 03:06   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Block Ford
It's a shame about the noise on these things as they go good but in an office situation with a number of computers it would be a pain.I have the tower up on the desk and it is right in my ear.
I couldn't believe how much noise these things make. By the middle of next year I will be shifting this thing out of the lounge into a room by itself
Old 12-19-2001, 06:34   #8 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

The problem may be you have got small 60mm fans with high RPM on the CPU, I used to do this, then I got an adapter and ran a large 80mm fan with medium RPM and it decresed tems slightly and noise dramattically... another good thing to do when you have a larger fan is run them at a lower voltage so they move as much air as a small fan but move much much slower, in some cases they cam become almost silent.

The reason I went in the extreme direction of watercooling is because I either needed huge airflow and noisy fans, or water cooling which is more effective than air cooling, and that is all due to me overclocking the PC
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 13:03   #9 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by DONUT KING
The problem may be you have got small 60mm fans with high RPM on the CPU, I used to do this, then I got an adapter and ran a large 80mm fan with medium RPM and it decresed tems slightly and noise dramattically... another good thing to do when you have a larger fan is run them at a lower voltage so they move as much air as a small fan but move much much slower, in some cases they cam become almost silent.

The reason I went in the extreme direction of watercooling is because I either needed huge airflow and noisy fans, or water cooling which is more effective than air cooling, and that is all due to me overclocking the PC
The new fan is larger with slower RPM for that reason.Also temp controlled vari speed.I better fit the bloody thing.
Old 12-19-2001, 13:05   #10 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by HSE2

I couldn't believe how much noise these things make. By the middle of next year I will be shifting this thing out of the lounge into a room by itself
LOL.Maybe we need earmuffs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub