Official figures show Vic 50km/h limit is a total failure - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2002, 15:13   #1 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Official figures show Vic 50km/h limit is a total failure

The 50km/h residential street limit was introduced on 22/1/2001, purely to reduce pedestrian casualties, following a parliamentary report which said it would significantly reduce them.

"The Victorian Government and the Transport Accident Commission expect the new limit will reduce road accidents by 10 per cent, or about 200, a year." The Age, 8/1/2001

Today's Age reports: "The number of pedestrians killed on Victorian roads jumped 30 per cent last year, from 61 to 80, according to the Transport Accident Commission.".

Now the police say it's because motorists aren't careful enough passing trams and they want those laws changed. Funny, but I thought they said injuries would go down 10%, not up 30%, with the 50km/h limit. I must be dreaming. Or maybe someone else is.

What is also interesting is that pedestrian casualites had already fallen by 22% between the 1998 parliamentary report and the start of 2001, without the 50km/h limit. So what caused that? Speed cameras, I suppose. So why didn't they work last year? Not enough of them I suppose. Maybe the police will put them on trams - that should fix the latest problem very nicely.

I am working on an arictle on this issue that I'll submit to The Age in the next day or two as there's been a reasonable number of letters lately questioning the speed issue generally, so it might have a chance of being published. I hope that some facts will stimulate more public debate and demonstrate what utter bullshit is being forced on us. We are ruled by ignorant boneheads who wouldn't know if a tram was up them until the passengers got out.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2002, 15:46   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

I don't think the 50 km limit was a total failure - look at all the extra revenue generated in fines that the police collected.
Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 15:58   #3 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

I dont know if anyone else has had this happen but, have you noticed how there are quite a few of people that sit on 50 in 60 zones cause they are probably scared of getting fined, trying to stick to the rules too much. This could be one reason for the extra deaths....road rage.

I was following a guy the other day in a 60 zone and he was sitting on 50. At first i thought maybe he hadn't seen a sign yet, but we went past 2 speed signs and there was no change.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 16:29   #4 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by (\/)ADXF
I dont know if anyone else has had this happen but, have you noticed how there are quite a few of people that sit on 50 in 60 zones cause they are probably scared of getting fined, trying to stick to the rules too much.
Yes, and I've become one of them, because I don't reckon the unsolicited photos of my car are worth $132.50.

Driving west along Broadway in Reservoir yesterday, where I haven't been for ages, and 60k signs everywhere. Day before I'd gone east and hadn't picked one up, so stuck at 50 as it used to be a hot spot for the cops. Yesterday I found one sign at the end of the shopping centre going east, which is easy to miss amongst all the clutter, and didn't notice any others.

If you've got local knowledge the other drivers give you the irrits when they do it, but if you don't have it you have to stick to 50 because there's no rhyme or reason to the way they zone things.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 16:31   #5 (permalink)
gone

Quote:
Originally posted by (\/)ADXF
I dont know if anyone else has had this happen but, have you noticed how there are quite a few of people that sit on 50 in 60 zones cause they are probably scared of getting fined, trying to stick to the rules too much. This could be one reason for the extra deaths....road rage.

I was following a guy the other day in a 60 zone and he was sitting on 50. At first i thought maybe he hadn't seen a sign yet, but we went past 2 speed signs and there was no change.
I agree

If they are going to remain at 50ks they need to clearly sign these street, and I dont mean the standard 50 speed signs, they need to introduce a better signage policy!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 16:32   #6 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

What is the consistency of application like in Vic ??

Where they have been introduced in SA it's basically been if its a side street then its 50, if its a major road then its 60. Doesn't seem to have been too much fuss here in SA
Jesmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 16:36   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Now all the peds think they are safe because the cars are going slower..so they take more risks... If they really wanted to reduce road tolls they should shred some people's licences.. there are some shockers around!
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 16:40   #8 (permalink)
gone

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesmol
What is the consistency of application like in Vic ??

Where they have been introduced in SA it's basically been if its a side street then its 50, if its a major road then its 60. Doesn't seem to have been too much fuss here in SA
I found a classic example of how stuffed street signs are the other day..

Suburban street, approx 2 ks long, dual lanes, marked at start with 50ks, 200 metre down road upto 60k., further 500metres downto 40ks for one k then upto 60 again!

Just carnt wait for a speed camera to be set up in that street!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 18:36   #9 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

The view within the traffic sign industry is that the Victorian Implementation of the 50km/h area was a total ballsup. They need to have signs on the entrance off main thoroughfares that state "50km/h area unless otherwise signed" and the roads within that area that are 60km/h to be clearly signposted.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 18:39   #10 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

The signage around my area is quite woeful in areas, in one place there is a 60 sign then 40m down the road it becomes 25.
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub