Oh yes, The LS1 is such a great Engine... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2001, 20:45   #1 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Gee wish I could rush out and buy one of those fantasic LS1 V8's...

Thanks to Drive.com.au

Holden oils up on V8 engine stress
First Published: The Age
Thursday, April 19, 2001

By ALASTAIR DOAK

Holden is expected to start putting more oil in its V8 engines in response to a number of failures brought on by high-stress driving.

According to the company, "dozens" of customers have run into trouble with the Corvette-designed, 5.7-litre V8 engine after heavy straight-line acceleration/ deceleration use. This treatment has caused oil surge in the all-alloy powerplant.

However, Holden stresses that problems have only been on vehicles with manual transmissions and that the company has acted quickly to fix any affected cars.

But it now seems the company is close to finding a solution for the problem and Holden engineers will recommend more oil be used to lubricate the engine to prevent the oil surge during heavy acceleration and braking. Adding additional oil would require a new dip stick with the "full" level moved further up the stick.

If the fix gets the go-ahead – the plan is expected to be approved in the next couple of months – Holden is likely to retro-fit the new stick to all Gen III-powered Commodores and Statesman/Caprice models.

So far, 20,934 Gen III-powered Holdens have been sold with almost 5,000 of those using manual transmissions.... Article continues but the rest is Holden crap...

Comments and piss-taking most welcome...
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2001, 20:53   #2 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

So if they change the dip stick in the engine, what are they doing to the dip stick driving the car? Everyone knows a Holden has two!
Venom XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 22:07   #3 (permalink)
CUBES = POWER

It's nothing major only the amount of oil. So i don't think there is anything to bag the LS1 about really
GT351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 22:21   #4 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

mad

Typical Holden. The 304s had major oil surge problems. So, let's fill up the oil a bit higher and hopefully :rolleyes: there will be a bit more oil at the pickup during hard driving.

I'd call the dipstick thing an accountant fix. The engineer's fix would be to fit a proper sump. Higher oil level = more internal 'friction' due to windage etc.

Which brings the question - are the 200 / 220 Windsor's any better??

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 00:03   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs down

The LS1 oil dramas have more to do with the pump design then the drivers and how the cars are being driven. To mu knowledge the manual part of the press statement is all BS unless we have the only 6 or 7 examples of auto failure in Aus. The problem with this is that the fault was know to Gm before those motors came to Australia:mad:
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 00:59   #6 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Jeez oil surge in the sump has caused probs in many cars including some hi po Fords. I thought they had got passed all that by now. Baffles in the sump to prevent the oil surging away from the pick up fixed most of it.Even my stang from 71 has em as part of the Drag Pak option.If GM knew of the prob as well then you would think they would do something about it.If they made the dipstick long enough maybe it could poke a hole out the bottom of the sump.He He:wink2:
Old 04-25-2001, 02:23   #7 (permalink)

That story of manual LS1 cars having oil surge is total crap. I am a former Holden warranty manager and I know that it was heavy oil consumption that is causeing problems. The AFP put 2 engines in 1 car under 25000k and another 3 were looking at new engines. I also know a guy with an auto who lost oil pressure with less then 30 000k on it. This problem is also coming up in the US and GM Powertrain recently released a head service kit in effort to "fix" the problem. GM calims the LS1 is a 'nonrebuildable' engine!
Old 04-25-2001, 02:40   #8 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

That is very very interesting FTEfan. Non rebuildable.What is that about. Is the LS1 a chuckaway motor when past it's use by date and that could be as low as 25000ks by the sounds.You have much inside information grasshopper.:mmm: :mmm:
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 02:46   #9 (permalink)

Yes I personally know of two auto Ls1s that had the same thing happen to them. The number of these cars being affected is also being kept a very good secret.
:thumbdown
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 03:06   #10 (permalink)

Note I said "GM CLAIM " the engine can't be rebuilt. The truth is with time and money it can and has been done. And to be fair I know a coulple that have been fine. Just don't rev them or try and tow with them.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub