One-Eyed fans - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2003, 07:39   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

One-Eyed fans

Ok, first of all, listen to what i'm saying before you FLAME the shite out of me.

On this forum, I can definitely say that a lot of the ppl here feel a heavy HOSTILITY towards Holden and their models.

Sure, they are far from perfect. But if they have held sales leadership for 5+ years, what have they done seriously wrong?

The AU was a disaster, i'm pleased to say that most ppl here realise that, but in the same breath i have to say that a lot of ppl here seem to think that the BA is the bees knees and the VY is a total piece of junk.

Say what you like, but the sales tell the story. Ford is almost on top for the first time in a long time. But the constant inflow of new holden models has ensured its market dominance has continued.

I find it strange that so many ppl on this forum are so quick to downplay any VY strenghs, and exaggerate BA strenths, while ignoring its weaknesses (as if it doensn't have any..)

Don't think that i'm a one-eyed holden fan. Our family has recently ordered an n/a XR6 after 7 straight years of Holden Acclaims. As i said recently, my stepdad calls the rear spoiler a 'racing flap' - hahaha

We chose the Ford for its overall ride performance, its balance, and its looks.
The holden we were looking at (Berlina/S) was quicker, but overall was not as comfortable as the BA.

So the superior Ford wins out. But in performance stakes (think BA/GT).. I can confidently say taht Holden has beaten Ford in the performance department. And be honest, thats what matters to many buyers of these types of cars.

A lot of ppl on this forum use the 'total package' excuse a lot. But when it all comes down to it, PERFORMANCE, and times, is what really matters. Thats where Holden is ahead AT THE MOMENT.

*prepares for a mighty flame*

Cheers guys.

*puts down beer and presses enter*
He|mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2003, 11:21   #2 (permalink)
کhậ۴ţ

Do you live where there are no corners?

shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 13:19   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by shaft
Do you live where there are no corners?
But.... Weren't corners made specially for the Commodore
Fireman Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 13:23   #4 (permalink)

Re: One-Eyed fans

Quote:
Originally posted by He|mut

A lot of ppl on this forum use the 'total package' excuse a lot. But when it all comes down to it, PERFORMANCE, and times, is what really matters. Thats where Holden is ahead AT THE MOMENT.
I take it from this, that to you PERFORMANCE, means 0-100 times.

To me there is alot more to PERFORMANCE, than just that.
Fireman Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 14:02   #5 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

When you grow up, sonny, and buy a car of your own you may see things differently.

The AU sold far fewer then it should of, and that was a real issue, but that doesnt mean the whole car was a disaster. IT was far better built and more reliable then the commy. Also hada better engine; smoother, more refined and had a more roomy interior. Overall a better car. Let down by horrible dash and polarising looks (i didnt mind the looks).
The better car is NOT necessarily the better seller.

As to performance. When they stop comparing 60K GTs with 90K HSVs, we might get the real story.
Anyway Im not in the market for a street racer, I need something to ferry me and the kids around 7 days a week. (boring, but that where the market is really)
"Lightning Strike" XT-Sports, Barra182 auto, 17" 7-spoke alloys, Sports IRS, body kit, Spoiler, Cruise, Premium Audio with mp3, Power Windows all round, Darkest tinted glass, Chrome scuff plate inserts, Phone presenter, Pollen filter, Towpack, Boot liner, 4 Mudspats, Slimline white numberplates.
CLICK HERE!
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 14:34   #6 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

I agree to a point. If you at the overall packages the cars are virtually identical. Large 4 door sedans with either a 6 or 8. They do roughly the same performance times & have the same options. Like it or not thats what the general public see.

Most people buy cars on looks & price & the only reason we had to endure the last 5 years of crap was that Holden made probably the best looking Commodore at the same time Ford was cranking out AUs that looked like...well...we know what they looked like.

Now that they're both ok looking cars it should be interesting to see what happens.
Old 03-22-2003, 16:38   #7 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf
just take a look at my signiture to see my point of veiw

lol

cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 16:56   #8 (permalink)
Code Monkey

"General Motors - Marketing over substance" - Motor Magazine

**edit:- thank HP dude, couldnt remember if it was motor or wheels
Old 03-22-2003, 18:01   #9 (permalink)
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks

Quote:
Originally posted by kinobi
General Motors - Marketing over substance

That just about sums it up. Good one Motor!

If AU was such a POS, why did it so consistently whip Holden and HSV's collective asses in comparos. Just a few examples for your edification where journalists deemed the AU superior to its Holden or HSV competitior:

AUI XR6 HP vs Commodore S (S/C) (4 car comparo in Motor)
AUI XR8 vs XU8
AUI XR8 vs VT SS (even WITH the 195 kw upgrade)
AUII XR8 vs VTII SS (Granted AUII XR8 200 did later lose to VX SS)
AUII TE50 vs Clubsport
AUIII XR8 220 vs VX SS
T3 vs Clubsport

If you think I'm talking crap, I'll supply dates and issues. I have the mags.

If your only criterion for the purchase of a new car is aesthetics, clearly a fool and his money will soon be parted. I won't even mention the whole Gen III engine oil fiasco either. Straight line stonk is fine but I'll take the 'complete' package any day of the week.
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 18:01   #10 (permalink)

You may think the AU was crap, but have you driven one? Mine pisses all over any VT - VY Commodore to drive, and yes i have driven the Holdens including the VY.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub