One in five police speedos faulty - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2003, 17:47   #1 (permalink)

One in five police speedos faulty

From The Daily Telegraph

ONE in every five of the state's highway patrol vehicles was found to have faulty speedometers, but only 18 motorists have been recommended to have their speeding fines refunded.

A NSW Ombudsman's investigation launched 10 months ago has raised serious concerns about the adequacy of checks carried out on highway patrol vehicles used to issue speeding fines to motorists up to 2001.

Yet Ombudsman Bruce Barbour, in releasing the report, described it as a "good news" story for the Government and for motorists who did not speed.

However, he recommended that the police service review its procedures for checking the accuracy of speed enforcement equipment and consider refunding and restoring demerit points to 18 motorists fined wrongly.

Shadow police spokesman Peter Debnam said the report raised more serious questions than it answered.

The Police Service said yesterday it was pleased with the report and said it would consider within the next month whether to refund the 18 motorists.

The investigation was launched by the Ombudsman's office last June after The Daily Telegraph revealed that 20 NSW Police highway patrol vehicles were found to have speedometers inaccurate by at least 4km/h.

However, the report tabled in Parliament yesterday revealed that a program of testing all highway patrol vehicles, which ran from January 2001 to February 2002, found the true number was 66 vehicles.

It comprised about 20 per cent of the police force's 300 highway patrol fleet.

In his report, Mr Barbour states only that four police cars had speedometer errors at 60km/h, but 42 vehicles had speedometer errors at 120km/h.

Mr Barbour said in his report that he found it difficult to believe that the police service carried out the required checks – that an officer calibrated the speedo with a radar at the beginning of each shift to ensure it was correct before issuing fines.

He said the issue which caused him greatest concern was that the problems with the 66 vehicles were not picked up during the officer's routine checks. There was no proof, however, that the vehicles had not developed the problem the day of the test.

"While it cannot be demonstrated beyond doubt, it stretches credibility that all correlation checks between radar and speedometers in these 66 cars were satisfactory," he states.

"And even though not all cars may have had inaccurate speedometers prior to being tested, it is difficult to accept that no cars would have had inaccurate speedometers.

"That said, I cannot demonstrate any case where a motorist was fined for speeding by a police officer driving one of the vehicles with an inaccurate speedometer, (that) the police speedometer was inaccurate at that time," he said.

Mr Barbours office picked a "sample" of traffic fines – 3632 of more than 12,000 issued per year – for its audit. The sample was not restricted to the vehicles with fauly speedometers. It found 18 (.5 per cent) were incorrectly issued. The motorists were speeding but they had been fined at a higher penalty range than they should have been.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2003, 21:30   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Just goes to show - guilty until YOU prove yourself innocent. I guess only drivers in close range of the 'steps' in infringements would get the benefit of the doubt.

Having seen the article above, my suspicions and observations are correct. The cops are more interested in getting to Maccas at the start of their shift than carrying out the required procedures correctly. Also, how does this go down in Victoria?

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 21:38   #3 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

20% of all speedos are faulty but only 0.5% of tickets were issued incorrectly? Something doesn't add up there. Either the Police aren't using their speedos to book people very often or they are allowing more than a 4kmh threshhold.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this.
Old 04-10-2003, 21:40   #4 (permalink)

Re: One in five police speedos faulty

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon
From The Daily Telegraph

Mr Barbour said in his report that he found it difficult to believe that the police service carried out the required checks – that an officer calibrated the speedo with a radar at the beginning of each shift to ensure it was correct before issuing fines.

Even if they do check them, who says the radar is accurate.

Good Q about Vic with their 3km/h tolerance...

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 22:23   #5 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Fire
It'll be interesting to see what comes of this.

Oh, that one's easy! Sweet Fark All will come of it.

Even if it looked like motorists could make a case, the Carr Labour government would introduce some sort of backdated legislation to preserve the infringements and damn the truth or the Police's own rules.

The only thing worse that the 'law' is the corrupt way the government has it enforced.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 22:31   #6 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
Originally posted by JR
Oh, that one's easy! Sweet Fark All will come of it.

Even if it looked like motorists could make a case, the Carr Labour government would introduce some sort of backdated legislation to preserve the infringements and damn the truth or the Police's own rules.

The only thing worse that the 'law' is the corrupt way the government has it enforced.
I'd say your right about nothing happening, but I'd say thats the way of all governments not just Carr's. We just had an election & he's still there. The lesser of two evil's I'm guessing.
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 01:04   #7 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Quote:
"And even though not all cars may have had inaccurate speedometers prior to being tested, it is difficult to accept that no cars would have had inaccurate speedometers."
Wasnt this one of the points used to bring in the 3kmh toleranbce in VIC? the fact that some would be inaccurate but leaning towards the safe side. Now they are saying its difficult to accept that they would all be fine.

WTF is going on here? Major double standards.

Its ok for the cops speedo to be out and deliver tickets to innocent drivers.

Its not ok for a persons car to show an inaccurate speed because it is their responsibility to make sure it is accurate.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub