Optimax - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2004, 13:17   #1 (permalink)
Long live the AU!!

Optimax

Ok, so I was driving to work today (sat), had to get some petrol, so I pulled up at Shell to get some Optimax. I started and the bowser stopped pumping at about 30cents. I moved to the other optimax bowser as the bloke said it was probably faulty, and then only got around $15 out of that one before the same thing happened.

The bloke then came out and said "just checked and the tank is empty". Ive heard a lot of stuff about the crap that is in the bottom of the tanks at servos, and I am a bit worried that some of it might have gotten in my tank. Anyone know about this??

> Piccies <
hambo_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2004, 17:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: Optimax

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12
Ok, so I was driving to work today (sat), had to get some petrol, so I pulled up at Shell to get some Optimax. I started and the bowser stopped pumping at about 30cents. I moved to the other optimax bowser as the bloke said it was probably faulty, and then only got around $15 out of that one before the same thing happened.

The bloke then came out and said "just checked and the tank is empty". Ive heard a lot of stuff about the crap that is in the bottom of the tanks at servos, and I am a bit worried that some of it might have gotten in my tank. Anyone know about this??

Pick up in bottom of tank 100mm of bottom so if they follow all there procedures and dip for water at the appropriate intervals and get water removed if any found you should be right

I think you would no about it by now if there was a problem

I Like Steve Because Steves My Mate
I.L.SB 1
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 17:40   #3 (permalink)
Long live the AU!!

I drove about 10k's with the petrol and didnt notice anything wrong, so I guess it will be alright, might go outside and try to start it and see if all's good...

> Piccies <
Old 10-08-2004, 17:55   #4 (permalink)
6 Speed Cruiser

You're lucky you can get Optimax.....

For some reason, and I've been told due to EPA regulations however don't believe that, we can't get it anywhere in South Australia....Is it only available in the Eastern States or can you get it in WA too?

Cheers

Morpowa Custom Cold Air / Mal Wood Clutch / Underdrives / Dual 3" DiFillipo Exhaust / Xtreme/Bluepower Custom Tune
XR8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 18:05   #5 (permalink)
Long live the AU!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8888
You're lucky you can get Optimax.....

For some reason, and I've been told due to EPA regulations however don't believe that, we can't get it anywhere in South Australia....Is it only available in the Eastern States or can you get it in WA too?

Cheers
What types of PULP can you get over there??

> Piccies <
Old 10-08-2004, 18:13   #6 (permalink)
Now driving an XF Falcon.

Quote:

As a former employee of Shell, this doesn't suprise me in the slightest. What I don't understand is why it is that the computer system doesn't notify the console operator and automatically shut down the particular pumps as stocks of a particular fuel type run critically low. It could be done, of that I have no doubt, being both a former employee and a person who knows and understands computer systems and the computer system used in Shell (Coles Express in some states).

Every time the dips are done (done on a daily basis), a large metal pole which has markings on it to show how many litres is 'dipped' into the underground storage tanks where the fuels are stored (obviously, this does not apply to LPG), and the amount of fuel left in those tanks is determined by seeing where on the metal pole it is damp from contact with the fuel up to. This is repeated for all the different underground tanks (for most fuel types, there is more then one underground tank, tank 2 for example might provide ULP to pumps 1 to 8 and tank 5 might provide fuel to pumps 9 to 16), the results are written down, then entered into the computer.

The computer also knows how many litres of each fuel, from which storage tank, has been sold. So there might have been 5,000 litres of Optimax left in tank 1 at 5pm when the last dip was done, and then 6 hours later, the system notices that 4,800 litres of Optimax has now been sold, and that there was only 5,000 in there 6 hours earlier. So it would be relatively simple to impliment a way for the system to notify the console operator that stocks of a particular fuel in a particular tank are getting critically low, and automatically shut down the affected pumps for just that particular fuel type, then all the console operator would have to do is run out and place those 'sorry, pump out of order' signs on the affected pump nozzles.

But they won't do that, it would cost them money, and I think a lot of the public would be very suprised how reluctant Shell are to spend money on things, even things that are determined to be both necessary and vital to the continued operation of the site...

One of the reasons I no longer work at Shell is I got sick and tired of how disorganised they are - I would get a phone call asking me if I could do a particular shift at a particular store in 1/2 an hour and I'd say yeah, no problem, rush to get there in time, only to find another person, sometimes even two other people, had been asked to cover that shift and we'd all arrive there at about the same time, and only one of us could actually do that shift. Or the number of times I had to do shifts where we ONLY had one particular fuel - usually LPG - because ALL the other fuels had run out and they were waiting for more fuel to be delivered. Running out of one fuel, yes, I can understand it could happen from time to time, but running out of ALL of the commonly used fuels is just unacceptable and incredibly disorganised, in my opinion. It's not exactly an enjoyable experience to be the only staff member in a petrol station and have to explain to every single customer that we don't have any fuel to sell to them - particularly so if they don't have enough fuel to get to another petrol station or have run out themselves.

Oops, I seem to have got on my soapbox, I'll just get down now...

Last edited by The MaDDeSTMaN; 10-08-2004 at 18:18. Reason: I am the typo KING!
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 18:21   #7 (permalink)
Long live the AU!!

I am also a former employee of Shell, and I can relate to EVERY SINGLE WORD you have just written, EVERY SINGLE WORD!!

Those crappy computers that they have had for years are so far behind the other servos its not funny. I had fuel run out at least once every 2 weeks, and you can really see the lost money when there are dozens of people driving away...

> Piccies <
Old 10-08-2004, 19:21   #8 (permalink)
6 Speed Cruiser

Quote:
What types of PULP can you get over there??
BP Ultimate or Synergy 8000 is the only 98RON we can get....can get Shell 95RON and the Caltex Vortex(?) which I think is also 95RON.

Cheers

Morpowa Custom Cold Air / Mal Wood Clutch / Underdrives / Dual 3" DiFillipo Exhaust / Xtreme/Bluepower Custom Tune
XR8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 19:33   #9 (permalink)
Long live the AU!!

Thats ok, BP ultimate is a good brew... Id use it over optimax if the town had it...

> Piccies <
Old 10-08-2004, 19:39   #10 (permalink)
Operation E-Series Hoon™

I was an avid user of shell optimax, but now i'm on Ultimate.. It costs more, but seems to run a bit better..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
Stop putting stupid yagz quotes in your stupid signatures you stupid people!
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub