Optus plans download limit - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2002, 18:56   #1 (permalink)

Read Optus plans download limit

OPTUS is preparing to follow Telstra's lead by introducing download caps on its cable internet accounts.

Sources say Optus has almost completed its framework for a new pricing structure, which is likely to be released in April.
"It's just the details that need to be worked out," one source said.

Optus@Home has long been viewed as the last refuge of home internet users who want large, fast downloads.

Its Acceptable Use Policy allows users up to 10 times the average download.

But that is about to change. Sources close to Optus indicated the Optus@Home service, which has received several industry and consumer awards, will cap downloads at either 3GB or 5GB monthly for the existing price.

Telstra caused outrage late last year when it capped user downloads on its most popular home cable and ADSL accounts to 3GB per month.

Optus users now pay between $69.95 and $74.95 a month, and they can download up to 9GB monthly without incurring additional fees. This is a bargain in comparison with Telstra's 3GB plan, which costs $94.95 for ADSL users or $87.95 for cable.

But Optus marketing has not taken advantage of the high regard for its unlimited downloads, prompting speculation in user group forums that it would follow Telstra's lead.

Most other ADSL providers have similar constraints on downloads, although the pricing and configuration of additional data has begun to vary as Telstra changes conditions for resellers.

On reaching the cap, Optus users would be able to continue downloading, but their speed would be reduced to the equivalent of 28.8Kbps modem.

They would be able to pay extra for up to 10GB monthly, but this would be priced at about $200.

Sources said a small percentage of users at the upper end of the download limits - around 18GB - were costing Optus about $200 each per month.

Average downloads have grown by about a third since Optus bought out Excite@Home, its joint-venture partner in the home cable product, last September.

Sources said most of the infrastructure for the new billing system was in place, but decisions had yet to be made about a launch date and the billing schemes - such as whether billing would be from the same date each calendar month.

The Optus@Home terms and conditions state that Optus can change the contract conditions at any time, with 30 days' notice, and can change its Acceptable Use Policy - which governs download limits - on shorter notice.

An Optus spokesman said the company's position had not changed since January, when consumer and multimedia department acting general manager Martin Dalgleish said Optus was "constantly looking at changes in the market", but it had no plans to introduce a download limit.

"Our position hasn't changed," the Optus spokesman said yesterday.

"We reserve the right to increase prices as necessary, as has been our policy for all our products."

Analysts have warned that the Australian telecoms industry is becoming a duopoly after Optus hiked prices for its mobile phone SMS text services in January, shortly after Telstra did so

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2002, 19:19   #2 (permalink)

we need a new one.tel...
Old 03-04-2002, 19:24   #3 (permalink)

One of the guys from One.tel (can't recall which one) is trying to start up a new company Tel One - true story!:oo1:
Wonder if he'll ask Solomon Lew and Lindsay Fox to go partners with him...

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 21:12   #4 (permalink)
P1mp Daddy

Noone really has any right to bitch about this policy coming in.... i mean anyone could see it coming.

Anyways, they do reserve the right... aqnd telstra did it too.

Im not saying its the right thing to do, but so is life.
Old 03-04-2002, 22:43   #5 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

Technically Optus have an approx. 10mb cap. The only problem I'll have with lowering the cap down to 3 or 5mb, is that we would now be getting a reduced service, so the charges should drop as well.

Somehow I don't think that will be happening. :redhrm:

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 01:23   #6 (permalink)

can someone pm me and tell me where and why did my post go?
Old 03-05-2002, 01:28   #7 (permalink)
goooone

BASTARDS!!! :fmad: :damon:
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 10:16   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Grunter
Technically Optus have an approx. 10mb cap. The only problem I'll have with lowering the cap down to 3 or 5mb, is that we would now be getting a reduced service, so the charges should drop as well.

Somehow I don't think that will be happening. :redhrm:
telstra advanced went up in price and also put on a 3 gig cap. Now they have raised the price again, but have taken off the speed cap. So i guess optus can put a cap on.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub