The other side of the Barra engine coin - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2002, 15:36   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Lightbulb The other side of the Barra engine coin

I posted earler about the possiblity of squeezing BA engines into earleir falcons. Thge general consesus was that the sixes were doable, but the V8s were just too big. That sux, but that's life. I've also heard lots of people say that the new V8s are bigger than big blocks. That got me thinking...Instead of new engines in old falcons, how about old engines in new falcons?

Have a look through the SVO catalogue. There are some seriously horny bits of kit in there. How about an all alloy 429 taken out 514 topped off with some alloy BOSS 429 semi hemi heads? Whack a yummy trumpet EFI system on it and you'd be breaking zips at 20 paces. Might need to go LPG for emissions though.

What do people think?
HO HO HO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2002, 15:46   #2 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

I don't know about that. I would rather leave the origiinal engine in the BA.

But, how about a BOSS 260 in a XY?
Old 10-03-2002, 17:28   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Hmmm the idea of a DOHC AUIIXR6 HP sounds nice to me. :s6:
Better still the XR6-T engine spec in an AUII XR6 HP weighing in at 1530kg, now that'll move. :s6: :s6:

Seems the Inline 6 bore and stroke is unchanged, the cylinder head etc is new. But getting to reality it would mean to change the entire engine "Long Motor" and computer and all. Too much work. :dead: :dead:

Me considers TSA bolt on turbo as a viable option should i keep my current Strider mobile. 9Psi boost for daily driving.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 18:05   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Morning all,

The Ba looks to retain the Ef dual runner inlet manifold. Bolt patterns look the same.

Now is the exhaust the same? has anyone comapred the gaskets? If they are I wonder how much the BA turbo exhaust manifold is? hehehhehehehehe

David
EB2Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 18:49   #5 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Let's not forget that all BA's are running drive-by-wire and EEC-VII... so there might be a little bit of work outside of the engine itself..
Old 10-03-2002, 20:06   #6 (permalink)

I spotted some BA exhaust manifolds while us FF raiders went through the Geelong plant last week, and from a distance they looked remarkably similar to previous model manifolds....
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 20:13   #7 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

I was under the impression from everything I've read in the press releases that the only thing they didn't change in the IL6 was the bore & stroke.

hasn't everything right down to the internal cooling channels in the block been changed to improve stiffness & reduce NVH?

If you do a swap, I reckon the only way would be entire motor, computer and all, and even then, how do you convert your old Xy or XF to a fly-by-wire throttle????
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 21:51   #8 (permalink)
A Fully Sick " Can't "

mwuahahaha
I think that a Landau would be nice with the Boss 260. And there would be PLENTY of room for the engine, there has to be, I mean the engine bay is bigger than some cars!!
There's an idea, I'm going to check this out
Old 10-04-2002, 02:10   #9 (permalink)
turbo4wd

The new engines are lightyears ahead of the old ones so there would be no point puting in an old engine into a BA (plus it would probably be illegal).

And as for puting the new engines into older models like the AU that sounds like more trouble than its worth. Its a pitty as the AU models with the multilink IRS handle well and with the new turbo engine would be a nice car.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:20   #10 (permalink)

I was chatting to a mechanic and he said that it wouldn't be too much trouble to stick the head of the Barra 182 onto the old 6.
sc.net BaRRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub