The Outlaw Josey Wales is back on the small screen - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2002, 16:35   #1 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

The Outlaw Josey Wales is back on the small screen

Yes, the greatest film ever made returns to Melb TV 8.30 tomorrow night after an absence of about 8 or 9 years and not available in video shops.

Bit awkward, as it conflicts with Mrs EA S's 50th birthday big bash at home tomorrow night. She seems to think being half a century old is a big deal, but I figure she has a birthday every year but I can't see Josey Wales every year or anything like it, so it's a no contest and the film wins. Naturally I haven't breathed a word of this to her.

Looks like my mate (who is one of two mates of mine who know all the lines in the film but only one will be at the turn) and I will be quietly disappearing about 8.30 and watching the TV in the workshop to see if we can remember all the lines in this cinematic masterpiece. I'll pop back to the party during the ads. With a bit of luck nobody will notice two sad old men downstairs in the workshop getting quietly pissed and saying all the lines to a Western which most of the rest of the world thinks is crap, if they've ever heard of it.

And, no, I can't tape it because Mrs EA S regards the VCR as her exclusive property. I gave up taping things long ago because she's always using it when I could watch something. We have two tapes given to me years ago as a present for something and marked "Dad's Tape" (unlike one of my mates whose former wife had his tape marked "Arsehole's Tape", which he failed to recognise as a clue to a deteriorating marriage) which I use for taping things she wants to watch when she's not home to tape them herself, because I am a kind and considerate husband. I also know what's good for me.

And, no, this isn't going to be the start of another marital disaster which has been the recent specialty of FF. There's no risk we'll split because the kids keep us together. We can't separate because neither of us wants the kids.

What a pathetic existence I've got! Young fellas, enjoy it while you can. This is what happens when your future is behind you and you've been married for close on 30 years. Shit, you only do about 12 to 15 years for murder!
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2002, 17:01   #2 (permalink)

You are bored, aren't you!!

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 17:07   #3 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon
You are bored, aren't you!!
A number of people seem to be picking that up. You are a very perceptive lot.
Old 01-03-2002, 17:09   #4 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

mate this movie is at the video store. How else would I be able to say what i'm going to say about this film without having watched it when I rented it with my Godfather whos 40 years older than me? This Movie is for Geriatrics (sorry). it wasn't to bad, a bit boring in parts but it must be an old mans movie ay?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 17:14   #5 (permalink)

Something a little better than Josey Wales for the Motoring masses in Melbourne. A mate was on to me over New Years to come down to Melbourne and go and see Mad Max & Mad Max 2 at the cinemas down there. Don't know which cinema but I think he said it was on for the next week or so.
Will try and find out more.
Russell.
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 17:16   #6 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Yes, I saw in the paper here a couple of weeks ago that they're showing Mad Max and Mad Max 2 at the Orpheum here in Sydney. Dunno if it's still on though.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 17:29   #7 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Quote:
Originally posted by Rastus
Something a little better than Josey Wales for the Motoring masses in Melbourne. A mate was on to me over New Years to come down to Melbourne and go and see Mad Max & Mad Max 2 at the cinemas down there. Don't know which cinema but I think he said it was on for the next week or so.
Will try and find out more.
Russell.
beleive it or not I am yet to see either one of the madmas films. Am I missing out or what?!
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 17:32   #8 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
mate this movie is at the video store. How else would I be able to say what i'm going to say about this film without having watched it when I rented it with my Godfather whos 40 years older than me? This Movie is for Geriatrics (sorry). it wasn't to bad, a bit boring in parts but it must be an old mans movie ay?
Not my video stores.

Your godfather is a man of great discernment.

You, on the other hand, have a lot to learn about the great range and subtly understated acting of the mighty Clint Eastwood, which many undiscerning people, usually of a pretentious intellectual or culture vulture type, mistake for a limited range and no talent.

What about the resonating line "Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy" in the saloon scene? When did Shakespeare ever get so much eternal truth into so few words?

Or "Dyin' don't don't mean much to men like you an' me, when everything we've ever loved has been burnt or raped or killed" (or thereabouts) in the great scene when he rides into the Indian camp and offers the chief life or death?

I admit Sondra Locke is a pain in the arse, but who watches it for her limited contribution?

And the dog. Can that dog act! What about the way it gets spat on all the time? Pure genius.

Not to mention the best gunfight scenes outside The Wild Bunch.

You and your kind keep the mainstream movies alive, which is fine for the masses, whereas I am a lover of the celluloid art and prepared to support true masterpieces in the face of unwarranted criticism by people who do not understand true art.

Do not take this as personal criticism - I just happen to be one of only a few people on the planet who have the gift of such artistic appreciation that we can see that The Outlaw Josey Wales is a biting satire on the eternal human conditon and yet at the same time an uplifting testament to mankind's resilience and ability to triumph over adversity. It is only 'boring in parts" to those who lack this rare gift, so I am not offended by your inability to appreciate the more profound aspects of this marvel.
Old 01-03-2002, 17:32   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

beleive it or not I am yet to see either one of the madmas films. Am I missing out or what?!
You're missing out big time Cobra!
Do yourself a favour, try and see 'em if you can. Oz classics.
Russell.
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 17:33   #10 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:

Yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub