Part Time Uni - Full Time work can I survive? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2003, 08:19   #1 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Part Time Uni - Full Time work can I survive?

Hey all not sure if this is really the correct place to post this since the changes but I need to ask this question.

I'm starting a Degree in Mechatronic Engineering next year part time and I plan to continue working full time to pay for the house I plan to buy this year.
Now my current employer have already said they will be as flexable as needed concerning the hours provided I maintain my level of performance at work. So thats good.
But.
Has anyone else ever done this before?
If so how did you handle the study? Was is two much to work as well or am I worrying about nothing?
I'm going back as a mature age student as my sace scores were ruined by drugs (don't worry only the soft ones!) and bad mates.
Thankfully my father is a year 11/12 maths/physics tutor and I have a lot of graduated mates to help me out.
I was going to continue in IT but I don't like the people or the politics and crap and are much more at home in upper factory environment.
so to get down to it after my dribble....
If you did/are doing part time uni and work how are you handling it?
carazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2003, 14:28   #2 (permalink)

I did this back in the 80's,lucky for me being a shift worker at the time I could go to lectures,in morning or evening.
Find out if your course has double lectures,I think most do.
It will make it easier from a time off work angle.
About the only thing you might have trouble with is the tutorials which when I did it were only one offs. No double ups.
If you look like missing some lectures, tute's organise with your lecturer/tutor for notes of the ones you miss.

Sometimes it was a bit too much juggling work and lectures etc,but I did it,enjoyed it and I was also a mature age entry.
Started when I was about 35.
Old 06-12-2003, 15:01   #3 (permalink)
FFing Festive

Hi Carazy,

Do you have a relationship as well??

I'm doing the same thing at the moment, full-time tech manager in the auto business and doing a part time masters degree.

Just realize that you will have to make compromises in all areas and don't push yourself to be kick ass in everything or you'll just end up madder than me.
Old 06-12-2003, 16:21   #4 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Your looking at one!

I am in my 4th year (Final year) of a full-time surveying degree. I 've been working at the local harware store since Grade 10 and now work there 50hours a fortnight, or 25 a week if you like. I work all weekend and two nights a week.

On top of that I got to turn up to uni for 4 days a week and somewhere in there see my girlfriend whome I have been dating for over a year.

Its very tough, I have trouble trying to keep my weight up because I stress or just never wind down. It also makes you feel a littel down sometimes because I can't see my mates all the time.

However, I couldn't stress enough how important it is to just hold on a go through it. Most people call me mad, but I am actually really happy. I've manage to earn as much, or if not more than some of my mates that started work straight out of school.

The bonus is I will be a qualified professional at the end of this year with an entire carreer and bigger pay packet ahead of me.

Its tough for 4 years mate (or more with part-time) but its nothing in the grand scheme of things!

If I can do it, so can you!
Old 06-12-2003, 16:25   #5 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

No chance mate. Its not worth it, especially with something like Mechatronics. If it was a straight Arts degree then maybe, but I suggest going part time on the work or you will do yourself more harm than good.

--ath0-- ....gone
Zomwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 17:18   #6 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Ive got a mate doing Mechatronics @ Sydney, he's there five days a week, it seems to have a large time consuming workload.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 17:40   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Hrrrm not sure about full time work and part time Uni. I'm on the way of finishing my long running part time work and part time uni deal.
I have to say it's been damn tough especially when you add traveling times between work and uni.
Don't know how your going to manage with full time work, and i believe the study load on engineering is high. (Well for me anyways as i'm not a smart duck, hence i went to Info Tech ).

I should be on my way to graduating. At the moment i'm about to do my Software Interface Design Presentation. If i pass this and the exam next friday it should be all go for a Degree.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 18:16   #8 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

It's a personal thing. If you have the drive and motivation you'll be joining a very large group of people.

I did my Engineering degree at first during shiftwork and doing two or three subjects at a time. It was hard as hell. I also did officework later and did two subjects at a time which worked well. I got sick of it all and took time off and drove trucks on night shift and went to uni during the day (uni lecture theatre seats aren't good for sleeping I tell ya ). This made good money (B-Double shuttle work) and let me attend every lecture/tutorial if I wanted to.

I have one key piece of advice though. I went to UTS in Sydney which is well renowned as supporting working students. They have most lectures in the evening or afternoon making full time work a more viable option. You need to pick a similar institution.

Having said all that I've started an MBA and find online and correspondence learning to be a real good thing!

DO IT!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 18:36   #9 (permalink)

Yeah its doable, at the moment I'm working a full time job, plus a part time job (one day per week), plus 3 units at uni, plus playing in a band....
Lucky the job i work is afternoon shift, and only 4 weeknights a week, if it was 5 nights i couldn't do it. I think being so busy has actually helped with my marks at uni, half way in I'm on a distinction average. Kinda makes me more motivated to get onto the work earlier. Work is suffering though, on my second warning and close to being fired....
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 19:25   #10 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Did my B.Bus through UTS part-time while working full-time, witha supportive employer. Two nights & an afternoon per week, plus time off for study & exams. I survived but had no house (lived in a unit), no kids & wrote-off lots of weekends.
Make sure you hook up early with other students in your situation & area. Misery loves company, as they say but you can push each other on!! Good Luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub