Petrol theft costs $12m, says VACC - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2002, 20:04   #1 (permalink)

Petrol theft costs $12m, says VACC

Article from Drive.com.au

Drive-off petrol theft is costing Victorian service station operators more than $12 million a year, according to the Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce. Station owner Arthur Nestor thinks up to $500 of petrol a week is being stolen from his service station alone.
To combat the theft, Mr Nestor (pictured) has installed a pre-pay system at some of his high-risk bowsers, but with an incentive. Motorists who pay before they fill up get a cent a litre discount.Good idea I reckon.

"I'm rewarding consumers who are using those bowsers by saving them a cent a litre," said Mr Nestor, one of about 30 station owners testing pre-pay statewide. "That's rewarding someone for their inconvenience, because I reckon that's what it is costing me in theft."

Mr Nestor's station, on the corner of Bay Road and Nepean Highway opposite Southland shopping centre, is a prime target for drive-off thefts, with quick access on to the busy road. Sometimes it is a car driver stealing fuel worth $10. Other times a diesel truck will steal a tankful worth $250.

Mr Nestor says the pre-pay system which operates 24 hours a day at his station has cut theft by almost 80 percent. Most of his regular customers now queue for the pre-pay bowsers to get the discount.

The Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce and Victoria Police have conducted a trial of pre-pay petrol since December during the high-risk hours between 8pm and 6am. It follows similar trials in South Australia and New South Wales.

The chamber's executive director, David Purchase, says the pre-pay system is used around the world. Once it is explained to motorists they are willing to change their buying patterns, he says.

The RACV opposes the prepay system as an inconvenience to motorists. Government relations manager David Cumming, said drive-offs were a financial burden only for independent service station owners franchised stations were reimbursed for losses.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2002, 20:32   #2 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Interesting stuff...

I just wonder why the actions of the oil companies aren't put in the same context... they are robbing us blind, are they not?
Old 04-22-2002, 20:43   #3 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

I might not be getting this.

If I were a thief (I'm not btw ), I now have 2 choices.

1/ Fill up, then drive off and pay nothing... or

2/ Goto to the pre pay bowser pay for the fuel at a 1 cent per litre discounted rate and pay approx 35 bucks for a tank.

1/ = $0.00
2/ = $35.00

?????

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 20:54   #4 (permalink)

I think people are naturally lazy (I am!) and can't be bothered walking into the actual counter area of the servo to line up to pay for juice so if they get a discount and don't have to go inside where you can also get some idiot (sorry servo workers) trying to sell chocolates and chewing gum to you when all you want is petrol then it will encourage people to pay instead of driving off. must work I suppose.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 01:14   #5 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Some people are just in a hurry and forget to pay. Some people just dont want to pay.

The idea from above is good - cos it means the pumps that are most likely going to be used by people who intend to drive off without paying (the pumps the furthest away from the shop) will be the busiest pumps. Thiefs are less likely to drive off if there is a que of people behind them that can get there rego details.

I have only recently started using the pay at the pump things, as its more convienient and you dont have to lock the car up - go inside the shop, que for 10 mins and get tempted by chocolate bars at the counter.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:35   #6 (permalink)

Re: Petrol theft costs $12m, says VACC

Quote:
Petrol theft costs $12m, says VACC
If they halved the price of petrol, it would only cost them $6m:s3

Thieving bastards, now they know what its like!
Fireman Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 02:42   #7 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Petrol theft has no cost to the people that set the price of petrol.

Petrol theft costs service station operators money... not the government!!
Old 04-23-2002, 02:48   #8 (permalink)

It was a joke, hence the smilie face
Fireman Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 08:51   #9 (permalink)

i was at the petrol station tonight and someone done the runner, what pisses me off is that people work hard to pay for petrol and you have these ****en dickheads stealing, makes me just as mad about car thieves, but that's a whole other story. I think car thieves shoudl be caught and given 50 lashes, wheres the taliban when you need em heheheeh
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub