Phone Auto Answer in XP (Help) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2003, 03:33   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

confused Phone Auto Answer in XP (Help)

Ok this has been buggin me for a while.

I have a modem and phone connected on the one phone line and in Windows 98 i was able to to use the call waiting feature in that when an incomming call was made whilst on the net, the computer would kill the net connection and the phone would ring.

But since i have XP i can't in the life of me get this feature to work. I really need this as dad recieves calls whilst i'm on the net. And yes i have turned call waiting on using #43*.

Has anyone here got XP and has managed to get incomming calls to work whilst on the net. If so what program did you use.

Thanks in advanced.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2003, 04:45   #2 (permalink)
JETPILOT

I had the same prob.

I would go back to 98 if you are desperate.

I think Xp has a built in firewall.

Hope you didnt pay lotsa $$$ for XP
Old 01-07-2003, 05:43   #3 (permalink)

Why not get call redirection turned on rather than call waiting?
THat way the call goes straight to a mobile rather than interupt the net connection youcan turn it off and on the same as call waiting.
That or tell ya dad you cant fix it and you HAVE to get ADSL:s6:
Edit:Take note of Location before mentioning ADSL
Dagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 13:47   #4 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

The beeps of call waiting should be enough to disrupt the carrier signal and drop the line out, Windows itself is not responsible for disconnecting the call.

If you have recently changed your modem, the initialisation string or default settings may be different, that are set to retrain longer after an interruption (i.e call waiting). I cannot remember exactly the initialisation string to fix this, but I will see what I can find for you.
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 14:09   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagabond
Why not get call redirection turned on rather than call waiting?
THat way the call goes straight to a mobile rather than interupt the net connection youcan turn it off and on the same as call waiting.
Doesn't the receiver of the call get charged for the call at Mobile rates for redirection?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 14:25   #6 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

No, the person who redirects the call gets the charge at mobile rates...thats if its redirected to a moblie.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 19:41   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Smile

Thanks for the suggestion guys, i'll be taking dagabond's tip (tah mate :s2:) and using the call divert function.

Just downloaded the instructions on how to go about it and i'm not too concearned about the cost of call diverting to a mobile as i'll probably only get the odd call.

Thanks for your help guys.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 00:57   #8 (permalink)

You do realise by admiting to using my suggestion that you now owe me $300 bucks for internet, computer and telephony assistant's. :s6:
Dagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:18   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

You'll find the solution lies in the software and in this case, yes it is Windows XP not having the ability to determine whether a call is coming in, and then to disconnect.

This was a feature not carried over into Windows XP and you need third party software with a compatible modem (recognised by that software) to be able to do this.
AcIlLaTeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub