PIC Programming - anyone done it and can help. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2004, 22:01   #1 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

roll PIC Programming - anyone done it and can help.

Hi all,

I have a project in mind, but before I start and dive head long into the world of PIC Programming, I am wanting to find someone who actually knows what they are on about, so I can see if what I have in mind will actually work.

Can anyone possibly point me to a good kit or book that they have used in the past for PIC Programming would also be helpful.

Please PM if you can help.

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2004, 22:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: PIC Programming - anyone done it and can help.

i dont know much about PIC programming myself but i was starting to do some research on the subject when like most projects i t died in the ass. Jaycar is the best place to start,. they have litirature, kits, and all sorts of usefull stuff
tx3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 22:15   #3 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

I've had some experience with Peripheral Interface Controllers. There is plenty of information on google. What is the application may I ask?
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:31   #4 (permalink)
freelance

If your an absolute newbie try the PICAXE series, a very simple way to get started, easy as to program, an next to nothing required to begin programming chips.

These aren't the be-all and end all but they are a good way to get started. They are a pic programmed to accept simple instructions via a serial cable.

Look fot Microzed or Picaxe on google.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 16:12   #5 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

My main aim is that it will accept a voltage from a variable source, based upon the voltage received, when its within a certain range, it will do an action of switching 1 of 7 relays to light a LED, at any one time only one LED will ever be lit.

Another seperate circuit would be based on a button press to turn 1 of 4 possible outputs on or off, one ouput only to be active any time.
I.E. - Press button A once and output 1 is open, other 3 closed, press button A again output 2 is open, others are closed, - then press button B and and circuit 1 would be become open again, and others closed, and so on.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:00   #6 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Dellboy,
You could pretty much do all that with a picaxe,
To drive relays etc off any pic, you will need a buffer IC (ULN2004)

I could help with some of the coding for a picaxe (use a 28x - has heaps of memory space) but I wont be able to start for another week or so.

If you want to email me some more specifics on what you want, I'll see what I can do.
Could even get the whole thing together for you, so all you need to do is wire the inputs and putputs, but will take some time (i dont get a lot of spare time these days)
Old 08-05-2004, 15:57   #7 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

9psi EB - I have been looking at the 28x as a base for the project from what I have been reading on the internet, I am in no great rush at this stage on the projects, and was looking at getting the book "Experiments in Mechatronics" By Australian Teacher and Author David Lincoln to start with to learn from, if I can bounce ideas and problems off you would be greatly appreciated, I was also looking at the kits on http://www.microzed.com.au , you got a reccomendation on the best one to buy, or do you have a better suggestion.

Jason

Old 08-08-2004, 04:05   #8 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Jase,

Thats where i got all my development kits from when i could be bothered with it :)
Grab a couple 28x's and the development board for it, dont worry about any books, you learn more online and from the picaxe forums that you will from any book.

Once you have the pic and development board, solder 5 LED's to the outputs, and make a basic program to flash them, so you can learn how to toggle outputs and then add some if, then statements to switch outputs following inputs. you will need to poll the inputs in a loop.

Like i said if you want help with the code, send me specifics on what you want to acheive, like what input triggers what output and i'll have a go at getting something together for you.
Old 08-08-2004, 20:59   #9 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Jaycar have programing board kits for around the $100 mark. Try a 16f628. We used that for a team project at uni. We ran 4 push button inputs, 4 led outputs and UART communications to another chip. It was easy to use and we put the chips through hell. Once we melt a prototyping board and the chip somehow lived! We done over 150 burns on one of the chips without fault. I think the name of the program we used was piclite. I think I have code lying around on my hard drive somewhere for doing basic stuff like flashing lights from inputs etc in C.

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub